Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

info on brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 01:31 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

Default info on brake upgrades

Just wanted to note a few things. I have been looking at Various calipers, and just wanted to mention a couple of things about them. I agree that cost is important, and I am for that. However, there is more to a brake setup than bolting on a big caliper and rotor.

Any upgrade worth considering shoud use 14"x1.25" rotors. Also, you MUST keep the piston size of the new caliper VERY close to the stock piston, or you will totally ruin your brake bias. And even the biggest calipers on the market can't absorb the heat correctly if the fronts are doing ALL of the work.

If you find a caliper with the proper piston sizes, designed to work with 14x1.25" rotors, making the brackets is easy. Also, there are tons of race shops that can do the rotors and brackets for us.

If you guys find the proper caliper, and can get a set for under $800, getting the rotors and hats should not be a problem.

Dave
Old 04-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Brian Madderom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: info on brake upgrades (y2khardtop)

VBP is coming out with a 14" rotor kit for use with the stock calipers. I'm sure a kit like that will take a lot of guess work out of the equation because you don't need Huge calipers to road-race just the right components. They also offer new TITANIUM piston inserts for the C-5 calipers which look like they'll keep a lot of heat out of the fluid. :flag

Quick Reply: info on brake upgrades