Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
What do you mean the OEM gauge is inaccurate? If you're referring to the HUD, it maxes the Gs at 1.27. So how are you getting 1.5?
On heavily heat cycled R888s that had fallen off pretty badly when I figured out how to use the recall function, it was in the high 1.4's every time. So from that I figured when they were fresh they must have been over 1.5. Cause I had slowed down notably. They really are only REALLY sticky about 2-3 sessions.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I think it's clear that you had problematic engines from the factory.

I have a coupe of hundred laps on my 2008 Z51 on R888s seeing consistently over 1.5Gs and I've had no issues. I'm not saying that I won't eventually, I'm just saying that clearly losing a motor within 1.5 laps is not ordinary!
did you buy your car new?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wtknght1
did you buy your car new?
No, it's pretty modified from a previous owner. Harnesses, mini- tubbed, suspension, Z06 brakes, etc...
Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

No, it's pretty modified from a previous owner. Harnesses, mini- tubbed, suspension, Z06 brakes, etc...
Well my guess is that either
1. The previous owner modified the internals of that engine to oil better or
2. You aren't hitting that high of Gs (for enough time) with those tires or
3. Both
4. You got some "special" engine from the factory that nobody else managed to get.

Either way, if it's working for you, it's working...for whatever reason. In my experience though, it's a grenade with the pin pulled. It's just a matter of time. Personally, I will NOT drive, nor will I ride in an LS3 powered car on track...with anyone...any time. I went through 6 of them in 4 years and that last one could have ended me. Throwing a rod at 150+ and spinning in your own oil...and then hitting a wall at 140 wasn't fun and I won't put myself in that situation again. I loved all my Vettes, but that LS3 is a POS track engine.

As I said before, there's a reason why Chevy discontinued the Z51 option on LS3 powered cars.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:23 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

On heavily heat cycled R888s that had fallen off pretty badly when I figured out how to use the recall function, it was in the high 1.4's every time. So from that I figured when they were fresh they must have been over 1.5. Cause I had slowed down notably. They really are only REALLY sticky about 2-3 sessions.
Those are impressive lateral G's for R888's! You should probably see well over 2.0 with R7's.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Crap, I need to put on some street tires so I don't blow up my stupid motor. I'm actually pretty ticked off about this, and that there's no real solution that is affordable.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:50 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Crap, I need to put on some street tires so I don't blow up my stupid motor. I'm actually pretty ticked off about this, and that there's no real solution that is affordable.
Don't take me too seriously. You will be just fine with the R888's. Just stay away from the R7's.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Well my guess is that either
1. The previous owner modified the internals of that engine to oil better or
2. You aren't hitting that high of Gs (for enough time) with those tires or
3. Both
4. You got some "special" engine from the factory that nobody else managed to get.

Either way, if it's working for you, it's working...for whatever reason. In my experience though, it's a grenade with the pin pulled. It's just a matter of time. Personally, I will NOT drive, nor will I ride in an LS3 powered car on track...with anyone...any time. I went through 6 of them in 4 years and that last one could have ended me. Throwing a rod at 150+ and spinning in your own oil...and then hitting a wall at 140 wasn't fun and I won't put myself in that situation again. I loved all my Vettes, but that LS3 is a POS track engine.

As I said before, there's a reason why Chevy discontinued the Z51 option on LS3 powered cars.
Your description is actually terrifying. I am acquaintances with the original owner of my car. It has a cam and head work and headers etc but the bottom end is all stock. Not that there is anything you could do to the bottom end to prevent oil starvation.

The track I had driven on is a small tight track called Harris Hill, I'm guessing that since it doesn't have really long bowl turns my engine didn't get a chance to starve.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 09-12-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:03 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Your description is actually terrifying. I am acquaintances with the original owner of my car. It has a cam and head work and headers etc but the bottom end is all stock. Not that there is anything you could do to the bottom end to prevent oil starvation.

The track I had driven on is a small tight track called Harris Hill, I'm guessing that since it doesn't have really long bowl turns my engine didn't get a chance to starve.
So that's the ONLY track you've ever driven?!?!?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

In my Corvette, yes.

Can anyone recommend someone that sells an Accusump kit that is known to work on the LS3?

If I can't rig up something that I trust, I guess the car will not see the track again.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Does low RPM (3-4.5K) through long left hand turns help?

Any oil that has a chance of helping?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:42 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

In my Corvette, yes.

Can anyone recommend someone that sells an Accusump kit that is known to work on the LS3?

If I can't rig up something that I trust, I guess the car will not see the track again.
Oh well...holy crap!?! I thought you had tracked this car on numerous tracks... Well, I guess you found the one track where it survives...at least for now. I'm guessing it's mostly right hand corners?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Does low RPM (3-4.5K) through long left hand turns help?

Any oil that has a chance of helping?
not really
Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

So that's the ONLY track you've ever driven?!?!?
In my Corvette, yes.
So, you're this awesome track hero that pulls 1.5Gs on R888s all day long with no oiling issues and you've only been on 1 track during your illustrious career...? GTFO.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

What do you guys see on R888s for Gs? I mean if Phoenix is correct that I'll never starve it for oil on R888s, awesome, I'm happy again.

I don't think I'm some bad dude, that's just what the gauge told me. Maybe it's wrong? I forgot how to do the recall by the way, how do you do it again?

The other thing I'm noticing in this thread is that the blown up LS3s all seem to be related to Phoenix tuning. Do we have any examples of LS3s that are not Phoenix tuning blowing up? Cause I know we have many examples of LS3s that have not blown up.
Thanks.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 09-13-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Oh well...holy crap!?! I thought you had tracked this car on numerous tracks... Well, I guess you found the one track where it survives...at least for now. I'm guessing it's mostly right hand corners?
They swap directions but most of the time they run clockwise. The one time I'm pretty sure I saw a light come on the dash was after a long left-hander when it was running counterclockwise.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Don't take me too seriously. You will be just fine with the R888's. Just stay away from the R7's.
This make me feel better, I hope that you are 100% correct.

I spoke to the Accusump people today, that all sounds like a PITA and really a last resort.

Get notified of new replies

To Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track

Old 09-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

I just read that C&D in their Lightning Lap recorded 1.45Gs in one turn on a stock 2017 GS. I have wider, stickier tires, lighter weight, and more aggressive alignment. It seems that 1.5Gs is pretty attainable to me. I don't get the doubt.

I went thru a greasy turn sort of fast under the freeway yesterday in my Vette and peeked down and saw .87Gs with a hatchback full of Costco groceries. And other people are maxing out on the track with R888s at 1.1 or 1.2Gs? That just doesn't jive in my book.

I dunno? I just want to know if my LS3 will survive running counterclockwise at larger tracks (COTA, TWS, etc...) with my current set up. Sounds like it won't. Which really sucks.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

An oil and crank scraper kit that might help...

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...kit-p-493.html
Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I just read that C&D in their Lightning Lap recorded 1.45Gs in one turn on a stock 2017 GS. I have wider, stickier tires, lighter weight, and more aggressive alignment. It seems that 1.5Gs is pretty attainable to me. I don't get the doubt.

I went thru a greasy turn sort of fast under the freeway yesterday in my Vette and peeked down and saw .87Gs with a hatchback full of Costco groceries. And other people are maxing out on the track with R888s at 1.1 or 1.2Gs? That just doesn't jive in my book.

I dunno? I just want to know if my LS3 will survive running counterclockwise at larger tracks (COTA, TWS, etc...) with my current set up. Sounds like it won't. Which really sucks.
That 1.45G on a 2017 GS is on a Michelin Cup 2 335/25-20 tire. Trust me...they are stickier than any R888 and just as wide as that 345/30-19 you run. Catching a 1.5G + glimpse is nothing for these cars with tires....but sustaining that is whole different ballgame.

What you sustain is where it counts and will affect your engine oil. Even the C6Z so called dry sump is somewhat inadequate for any serious track. Which is why most guys upgrade to the ARE system.

Quick Reply: Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track