Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM VIR HPDE June 27/28 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Dakota Slim
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Thanks to Sponsors

Yep, a great event. Thanks to ALL our sponsors as well. Appreciate all they do for the NCM and for the sport. Special thanks to ZIP products. I blew off a serpantine belt and did not have a spare. ZIP had a belt and also offered to install it. Guys did a great job, checked out the car for any other problems and had me back on the track without missing asession. Only charged me for the belt. Great service!!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 363 Likes on 285 Posts

Cant' wait till next year!

-Ken
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by k24556
Just wanted to thank ya'll for two days of great entertainment. I was joined by several other members of our club to serve as volunteers. We worked the grid area both days and saw some great cars go by. Saw several folks I knew and made many new friends. I already have my laptop on speed dial to sign up next year. We will have to find another volunteer worker to replace me. (Though I'll always be a VOL.. UT that is)

A special thanks to PAINRACE for taking my wife on a ride, even though it was shortened by her need to possibly start auctioning Buicks. Luckily there were no Buicks to sell. He graciously took me on some laps, and I am very greatful for the opportunity. Thanks Jim!

A thanks also from me and our other volunteers for being patient until we learned the ropes and became better at getting you folks on the line.
You are quite welcome, Brian. I again apologize for to you and your wife. I really was going slow with her. I hope is is recovered and doing well. I keep telling yself what seems slow to us is very fast to those who have never done it. Believe me, at 67 I am one of the slow guys.

Jim
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 191 Posts

Thanks everyone, we had a blast. Can't wait until next year. Maybe I can actually get my race car finished and have it out there.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 06-29-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Boo383
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

This was my first year in attendance and it was awesome! Everyone who worked with the NCM and all the course workers deserves a big THANK YOU!! I hope to be able to attend again next year.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Once again, ONE HELL OF AN EVENT! Thanks to all. It was GREAT to see old friends and Tom, Roc and the NCM just run a super event.

My student, Bernie Hoover, was the guy in the Camaro terrorizing the Corvettes in Blue group. Bernie soloed Tuesday all day and I followed him in one of the sessions and I am like a proud poppa. He did one hell of a job. Watch out for Bernie next year guys.

You should have seen Dean Conti go around that track in his borrowed Mercedes! I think he got a 4:04 lap in! He got down to a 4:04 Jim Dillon!

Thank to all and I hope everyone made it home safe.

O, for those of you that were not there Steve and Lainey picked up another dependent at the event. What a super couple!

Thanks for the meal Jim Beaton. Sorry about the car. I am really not bad luck!

Andy Pilgrim will be at the World Challenge race at Road Atlanta the ALMS weekend. Everyone be sure to stop by and wish him well. What great guy.

Hey, Mike, did you get the John Deere parts. Don't post that video of you blowing by me. May do those tirs and the beast work well. You do "OK" driving it to!

I am tired but ready for next year.

Jim

Last edited by Painrace; 06-29-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Cant' wait till next year!

-Ken
Good to meet you, Ken. You were a big help to a lot of people.

I look forward to talking with you.

Jim
Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I did not make the trip to VIR. Instead I made one of the most lame a$$, boneheaded, chciken $**** decisions that I have made in a long time. I got talked out of making the 1100 mile round trip by the idiots at weather.com, who forecast rain of 30% Sun, 40% Mon and 50% Tue, along with a Doppler radar map that looked like a monsoon was coming that way. Yep, I'm "quilty as charged".

And I was sooo psyched to come to VIR to drive, and see everybody.

I had spent the last three weeks getting my cars ready:

1. The Z06: Rewrapped heat tape around ball joints and tie rod ends, new brake pads (properly seated), new Hoosier R6s (properly heat cycled), new ATE Blue, Mobil 1, etc.

2. The "other car". I had it dyno tuned, new SS brake lines, brake pads (XP12/XP8), widened rear wheels to 11", mounted up a set of Hoosier A6 scrubs, Motul brake fluid, etc.

I had been watching the foreceast day by day, then hour by hour, I was skeptical, but optimistic.

I loaded up both cars on my trailer on Saturday, planned to stay in Lexington, KY Sat. night, then head out for VIR early Sunday.

When the "moment of truth" came, I sat down and looked at every weather forecast I could find, and they all looked terrible. Not just marginal, but terrible!

I am now suffering from VIR PTSD. I am kicking myself for not making the drive, and leaving the weather up to the "track gods"

I am sorry for not making the trip, and I will not make the same mistake again.

My only consolation is that I am very happy for those of you who had the courage to make the trip, because I know what a great time you had!!!

Last edited by NVR2L8; 06-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=JDIllon;1578003999]
Originally Posted by USA1C5
It was a great two days. No rain to speak of. I will be back again next year.

All went well except for someone in the tire wall on the next to the last session that I know of. My last session today started a few minutes late because of the car in the tire wall in the previous session. There was relatively few cars on the track (Red and Black Group) in my last session.

Thanks to Roc, Tom, all the NCM people and all involved for another super event.

I didn't instruct this year I chose to run in Black Group, I guess I'm getting old and need more free time between sessions, maybe next year. I wish NCM would allow instructors to take only one student.

Thanks again to all. [/QUOTE

That is something Rock should give some thought to, maybe half price for those that would instruct one student. It is tough with 2 students and your car, and the heat!! This may also be a way for NCM to get more instructors?? Just a thought. Thanks, to all for a great event. JD

Good Idea I would go for that.
It was an excellent event as usual. The black group was great very light traffic.It was a good time but very Hot!

Last edited by Lan.Jet; 06-29-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Painrace
You should have seen Dean Conti go around that track in his borrowed Mercedes! I think he got a 4:04 lap in! He got down to a 4:04 Jim Dillon!

Jim
No fair Jim! I am absolutely positive some of my laps were under 4 hours and 4 minutes. Bet I could have gotten below three hours if there was a provision to turn off the $@#!*#! traction control/active handling systems. Gonna have to talk to my buddy about that.

IMHO the biggest problem with the NCM events is they are too short! NCM VIR 2012 already marked in the calander for next year. What a track!

Dean
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom / Roc,

Thank you again for putting on such a great event! I am confident that you can't stop people from coming to this event. Might as well book the track for the next 75 years or so.

I had a great time making some laps in two beautiful Z06's. Thanks guys.

Please post some pics...See you next year.

Last edited by Westwopper; 06-29-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Just rolled back home a few hours ago. Great event, I had great students.
Wish I could have driven more. The first session on Tuesday I was smelling oil burning and after opening the hood it was obviously a power steering leak. Didn't feel like filling up with $30 of gas and going out having the leak become catastrophic and send me into a tire wall or worse. So I had to pull it off the trailer and I have to get the hose changed by noon Friday so I can load up and head out to Charlotte.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video of Day session 4. Good weather, great group. Hope the guy with the head gasket problem was ok. Have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smp-cM9Hrls
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Had an absolute blast. Thanks again NCM for putting this event on !!!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Congratulations to everyone who attended! What an awesome event. We got back in to Bowling Green at 3:00pm this afternoon and can't wait for next year all ready. I didn't have a lot of time on the track with everything going on for the NCM but had a total blast. Thanks to everyone that attended and helped out with this year's event. Tom, Roc, Cel, Mike, Frank, Billy (too many to name) ALL of the instructors and all the folks at VIR just did an amazing job as always. Really glad to hook up with old forum friends and all the new friends that I made this weekend. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can put together a track car for next year's event. Thanks to Andy Pilgrim for supporting this event and it was nice to see all my friends from GM there. Thanks to everyone who came out and supported the NCM and visited the store in the Tech shed.

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 06-29-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Monday and Tuesday were just fantastic at VIR. Everything was just run so perfectly and the setting is the best we could ever dream of for an all Corvette HPDE......

Tom & Roc .. Great job as always

Everyone who lent a hand in this event deserves kudos for a terrific job and Tuesday was no picnic for anyone having grid duties, flag people and ANY workers, thanks to you ALL..

A few personal thank yous

Mike Nulander, Yvonne and myself want to thank you for making us both feel at home at the Nulander catering trailer, you are just too kind my friend!

Jamie Creel, I don't know how to thank you enough for all you did Tuesday, late afternoon helping me get my Z06 back into action for my last session. Your help was greatly appreciated and I will never forget it....

AND
Steve and Lanie Lanstra, I don't even know where to start with you two. Your help in so many ways (Starting with lugging my tires for me 400 miles each way) made this event 10 times more fun than it would have been without you BOTH...
Steve, when Yvonne rode with you in #23 it was just beyond her expectations. After her ride Monday see was ready to walk around the paddock Tuesday with one of my helmets and a sign "Have helmet with ride shotgun". When you asked her to ride along again Tuesday, she ran to my car and grabbed a helmet and we had her buckled in in no time.. Thanks for everything my friend! See you soon....

Great Event, Great time and great seeing so many friends whom I only see this one times each year..... See you all in 2012....
Glenn,

It was really great to see you at VIR. Thanks for looking me up. What an awesome event. Glad to hear Yvonne had a good time and it was great to meet here there.

Paul
Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Ncm hdpe

Paul, since you're qualified, you can take the old green golf cart for a run next year.

Later,, Brian

Get notified of new replies

To NCM VIR HPDE June 27/28 2011

Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by k24556
Paul, since you're qualified, you can take the old green golf cart for a run next year.

Later,, Brian
Thanks Brian. It was one of the highpoints of my weekend! It does move along. I was trying to get the grid guys to let me take it out during a green session.

How's your wife doing?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Ncm hpde

Great today. she checked that one off her bucket list, Mine still does not have a check-mark. guess we'll be in class next year.

We will be at the Museum later this year to (hopefully) present the results of our October event. more later and maybe see you then.

Best Regards to Becky!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you all for your kind words

YOU guys are the ones who made the event.

Thank you students and Instructors for all your hard work

Thank you to our Sponsors; Justin from Zip, Ken from KNS Brakes, Tony from Michelin, and Ken from Dark Side.

Roc and I are always working on whys to make YOUR event better.

Thank You all again.

Quick Reply: NCM VIR HPDE June 27/28 2011