Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Getting REALLY fed up with ESPN3 and ESPN's tech ability as a whole. Their IPAD app is total garbage, their online streaming is garbage, their inconsistent audio is garbage...I mean...can they ever get anything right!?

I go through this nearly every race. Multiple Ipads, multiple PC's, multiple this, multiple that....no fix ever. If it's workin for you, feel privileged.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:44 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Where as Grand-Am seems to have it right. Let's hope they follow Grand-Am media rather than ALMS. We will know more on wednesday when they make the official announcement.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Can someone pm me or direct me to the results of today's race please??I went to ALMS.COM but I just want to confirm I read what I read right!lol.Thanks.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Can someone pm me or direct me to the results of today's race please??I went to ALMS.COM but I just want to confirm I read what I read right!lol.Thanks.

Race Results:
http://media.gm.com/product/public/u...TE_RACING.html

Also, DSC's take on the ALMS/Grand-Am Merger:
http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...nID=QKQSDN3ICN
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Official points listed. Two more races...our chances are real strong for the championship...just need no dnf's, no wrecks and respectable finishes.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:47 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Leo Parente and ShakeDown present a special 2-part show - First, taking you to the Baltimore GrandPrix to get a look as tro how a street course effects the racing experience. Second, we talk with Speed.com's John Dagys, the journalist that broke the story of the impending merger between American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am to create a unified North American sports car racing enterprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7eE7...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

2012 American Le Mans Series at VIR

Virginia International Raceway, Danville, Virginia, USA
Sept 13 - 15, 2012

ESPN3 Qualifying 2:25 pm CDT Sept 14th

ESPN3 Race Stream 1:15 pm CDT Sept 15th

ESPN2 Broadcast 4:00 pm CDT Sept 16th

LIVE TIMING:

http://scoring.alms.com/

http://livescoring.us/scoring.php

Live Timing for mobile device:
http://scoring.alms.com/mobile.html

PIT NOTES:
http://twitter.com/almsnotes

https://twitter.com/corvetteracing

RADIO ALMS
http://www.americanlemans.com/

http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php

WATCH LIVE CORVETTE ONBOARD CAMERA:
http://www.alms.com/camera/live-audio-broadcast

Agenda:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2012/event...upp%20Regs.pdf

Track Map:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2012/event...ack%20Maps.pdf

Spotters Guide:
http://www.andyblackmoredesign.com/

Entry List:
Not listed yet

Tickets:
http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/pe...and=virnow2012

Corvette Corral:
Not listed yet
http://www.alms.com/car-corral
Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 PM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Who is traveling to VIR for the ALMS event?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Originally Posted by wkidvette
Who is traveling to VIR for the ALMS event?
I will be there.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'll be there too.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 PM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

My wife and I are going down Friday night
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by wayneinvirginia
My wife and I are going down Friday night
An interesting way to put it!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Corvette Racing at VIR: Very Important Race

With Championships on the Line, Corvette Team Ventures into Uncharted Territory at Virginia International Raceway

ALTON, Va., Sept. 10, 2012 – According to the state slogan, Virginia is for lovers, but Virginia International Raceway is for racers. The manicured circuit in the rolling Virginia countryside will host Saturday's American Le Mans VIR 240, the ninth round of the 10-race 2012 American Le Mans Series.

The penultimate event on this year's ALMS calendar is indeed a VIR – "Very Important Race" – for Corvette Racing. The Chevy team leads the driver, team, and manufacturer championships in the GT class, and can clinch the titles at VIR. The series' first appearance at VIR is a venture into unexplored territory, however. Corvette Racing was in France preparing for the 24 Hours of Le Mans during the ALMS open test held at VIR in June. While all four Corvette Racing drivers have experience at VIR, none has raced a Corvette C6.R on the 3.27-mile Virginia road course.

"Antonio and I both know the circuit," said Jan Magnussen, second in the GT standings with co-driver Antonio Garcia in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R. "It's a fantastic place, a motorsports country club – the scenery is fantastic, the track has a lot of elevation changes, long sweeping corners, and some really tight and tricky bits.

"While we were busy at Le Mans, several teams got a chance to test there, so we are a little behind," Magnussen explained. "Usually Corvette Racing picks these things up quickly, so I don't think that is a huge disadvantage. The competition is extremely close in this series, so we will need a few good practice sessions before qualifying to be able to fight with everyone else."

Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner will arrive at VIR with a 28-point lead in the GT standings over their teammates and a 30-point margin over their closest BMW rival. A lead of 24 points at the conclusion of the VIR 240 would clinch the GT championship for the Anglo-American pairing in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R.

"We really are coming to the point in the season where the pressure is on for everybody," said Gavin, who is scheduled to make his milestone 100th career ALMS start on Saturday. "There are championships on the line for drivers, manufacturers, and teams. Everyone is watching everything they do, whether it's a setup change, tire selection, a pit stop, or race strategy. You're wondering how that is going to have a knock-on effect for your end result.

"In reality, championships are never won or lost in these final races," Gavin observed. "A point earned or lost in an early round can make all the difference. There have been races that haven't gone to plan for us, but that has happened with everybody. The teams and drivers in GT are super competitive, and everyone is taking points off each other. No one can predict who is going to come out on top.

"Last year I raced a Camaro in a Grand-Am race at VIR in the rain," Gavin recalled. "I remember it being quite a challenge. It's a fast and flowing track, but it's quite narrow and unforgiving. It's got a unique character that is great fun, and I think it's going to be fantastic in the Corvette C6.R."

Tommy Milner also knows his way around VIR. "I raced there 2004 and 2005," said the longtime Virginia resident. "I've qualified on the pole and I've won there, so I have good memories of the track. The Esses are going to be awesome in these cars, almost flat out and very, very fast. The track is rather narrow, so it will be tough to pass, and if you are ahead, you can make it difficult for people to get around you."

Antonio Garcia is looking forward to this stop on the ALMS tour in his first season as a full-season driver for Corvette Racing – he's driven Daytona Prototypes at VIR for years. Garcia is fresh from a victory in a Corvette DP at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Sunday.

"I know the track quite well, but I don't know the Corvette at that track so I will need to adjust, just as the team will adjust the car setup to perform," the Spaniard said. "I am looking forward to going to a track that I already know. The section going toward the Oak Tree corner is fast and flowing, with a series of corners that get your full attention. The circuit will produce really good racing."

While the Corvette C6.R has not raced at VIR, the Corvette crew does have data from bygone days. "We tested at VIR when we were developing the C6.R many years ago," revealed team manager Gary Pratt. "We may be behind on the first day, but by the second day we should be right there. With all of the tools we have now, we won't be at a big disadvantage by not testing there."

The four-hour American Le Mans Series VIR 240, the ninth round of the 2012 American Le Mans Series, will start at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Sept. 15. The race can be viewed live on ESPN3.com starting at 2:15 p.m. ET. ESPN2 will televise the race at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, Sept. 16.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Can Corvette Racing clinch the championship with a win at VIR? Can you explain the various scenarios that could come out of this race and what are Corvette's chances of winning here in your opinion?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Virginia International Raceway
Friday, September 14, 2012

After Friday Morning's Practice session the 2 Corvettes are at the top of the speed chart

1. #3 Corvette Racing - Antonia Garcia
2. #4 Corvette Racing - Tommy Milner
3. #45 Flying Lizard Porsche - Jorg Bergmiester
4. #44 Flying Lizard Porsche - Marco Holzer
5. #55 RLL BMW - Jorg Mueller
6. #02 Patron Ferarri - Guy Cosmo
7. #56 RLL BMW - Jonathan Summerton
8. #01 Patron Ferarri - Scott Sharp
9. #17 Falken Tire Porsche - Bryan Sellers
10. #48 Porsche GT3RSR - Bryce Miller
11. #23 Lotus Evora - Townsend Bell

I don't see the Vipers on the charts?????

I'd be surprised they'd elect to miss this event being fairly close to their home base...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Virginia International Raceway
Friday, September 14, 2012

I don't see the Vipers on the charts?????

I'd be surprised they'd elect to miss this event being fairly close to their home base...
THey hadn't planned on doing as many races as they've ALREADY done, so I'm guessing they are going over the cars with a fine tooth comb getting them ready for the 10hrs/1000miles @ Petit.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Corvettes Qualify Third and Fourth for ALMS VIR 240

Gavin and Magnussen Claim Second Row in Fast and Furious Qualifying at VIR

ALTON, Va., Sept. 14, 2012 – Corvette Racing drivers Oliver Gavin and Jan Magnussen locked up the second row in GT qualifying for Saturday's VIR 240 at Virginia International Raceway. Gavin qualified the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R third in the 11-car GT field at 1:46.409 (110.630 mph). Magnussen qualified the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R fourth at 1:46.497 (110.538 mph) in the American Le Mans Series' first visit to the Virginia track. Johannes van Overbeek claimed the GT pole in the No. 01 Ferrari with a fast lap at 1:45.988 (111.069 mph).

The top four cars were separated by .509 seconds when the 15-minute qualifying session ended. Times plummeted nearly a second from the best laps turned in practice as the GT teams turned up the wick on the 3.27-mile circuit.

"Qualifying was fast and furious," Gavin said. "I don’t feel that I strung together the best lap. I might have got down to a low 1:46, but I kept missing bits, which frustrates me. Van Overbeek must have just nailed it on his pole lap."

Gavin set the pace in his second and third qualifying laps, but fell to third when van Overbeek and BMW driver Dirk Mueller posted quicker times on their fifth and fourth laps respectively.

"You want to get the time in the first lap because that's when the tires feel at their best, but the pressures aren't quite there and the car isn't settled," the Englishman explained. "Then the speed builds, but the more you run the car, the more it slides. Perhaps that's something we need to work on for the race."

Gavin and co-driver Tommy Milner will start the VIR 240 with a 28-point lead in the GT driver championship and could clinch the title with a top-two finish. "We're in a good spot, we're where we need to be to fight," Gavin noted. "The car's balance is good, and I think we can race everyone just as we have all season long. It's going to be a long, hard four-hour race, and there's not going to be much between anybody."

Magnussen also improved his lap times when it counted. "I improved, but others improved more," he quipped. "The No. 02 Ferrari spun in front of me, so I lost just a bit of time there. I got through the corner clean, but I couldn't see if he was coming back on the track, so I hesitated just a moment. Other than that it was a great lap, maybe it could have been a P2, but who knows? Qualifying here is excellent fun!"

"I had a small radio problem and couldn't communicate with the pits, so I didn't know where I was," Magnussen reported. "I'm quite happy with the balance of the car and I'm quite happy with the lap times. Obviously the Ferrari's pole lap was a bit of a shock, but the Corvettes and BMWs are right there, as usual. It should be an interesting race."

The four-hour American Le Mans Series VIR 240, the ninth round of the 10-race 2012 American Le Mans Series, will start at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Sept. 15. The race can be viewed live on ESPN3.com starting at 2:15 p.m. ET. ESPN2 will televise the race at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, Sept. 16.

American Le Mans Series VIR 240 GT Qualifying (Top 10)

Pos./Car No./Drivers/Car/Time

1. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari 458 Italia, 1:45.988

2. 56 D. Mueller/Summerton, BMW E92 M3, 1:46.359

3. 4 Gavin/Milner, Corvette C6.R, 1:46.409

4. 3 Magnussen/Garcia, Corvette C6.R, 1:46.497

5. 45 Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:46.583

6. 44 Neiman/Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:46.601

7. 55 J. Mueller/Auberlen, BMW E92 M3, 1:46.680

8. 17 Henzler/Sellers, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:48.014

9. 48 Miller/Maassen, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:48.319

10. 23 Sweedler/Bell, Lotus Evora, 1:48.940

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

why no vipers this weekend?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvandentop
why no vipers this weekend?
The team had previously announced they weren't running VIR but they will be at Petit
Old 09-15-2012, 02:12 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

From the Fans: Who is Your Choice?
Send in your nominations, SUCH AS CORVETTE RACING! through the VIR weekend!

The 2012 ALMS season has been a remarkable one. Now we need your help letting us know who has been the most important figure this season. That person or group will receive the annual ‘From the Fans’ award, presented at the season-ending banquet the night after Petit Le Mans.

From now through Sunday, nominate your choice of the person or group, SUCH AS CORVETTE RACING!! that has made the biggest impact on ALMS and sports car racing during 2012 by emailing fans@americanlemans.com. The top five nominees will move on to the voting round with the winner announced Oct. 21 at the annual Night of Champions banquet at Petit Le Mans.

Voting also will start soon for the 2012 ALMS Most Popular Driver away. Stay tuned for the first round of selections…
http://www.alms.com/articles/fans-who-your-choice

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!