Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Corvette Racing at Laguna Seca

Corvette Racing at Laguna Seca: Getting a Grip on a Challenging Circuit

Third Round of American Le Mans Series Is Crucial in GT Championship Fight

MONTEREY, Calif., May 7, 2012 – With 82 class victories to its credit, Corvette Racing has celebrated at race tracks from California to France – but it's been four years since the Corvette drivers sprayed champagne from the top step of the podium at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Fresh from a win in the preceding round on the streets of Long Beach, Calif., the Chevrolet team enters Saturday's six-hour American Le Mans Monterey with two objectives: to break the Laguna Seca dry spell, and to prepare for the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Corvette Racing has competed in all 13 ALMS races contested at Laguna Seca. It took Corvette Racing six years to score the first of its four wins in the GT1 class in 2004. Since making the transition to the GT class in 2009, the highest finishing Corvettes have placed second, third and fifth on the central California coast. Now with a pair of new wide-body Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars and momentum from its victory in Long Beach, the team is optimistic that it can come to grips with this roller-coaster 11-turn circuit.

"Laguna Seca has always been a difficult track because it has a low-grip surface that makes it tough to dial in the chassis setup and manage the tires," said Tommy Milner, who notched his first career ALMS victory last month in the No. 4 Corvette C6.R he shares with Oliver Gavin. "Based on our performance in the first two races of the season, I feel that our Corvette will be competitive at every track on the schedule."

While maximizing points at Laguna Seca is the immediate objective, the upcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans looms large. The first shipment of parts and supplies has already been dispatched on its transatlantic odyssey to France, and the cars and crew will make the journey shortly. Thus the Laguna Seca six-hour enduro will be the final rehearsal for the 24-hour marathon on June 16-17.

"A six-hour race at Laguna Seca is a great warm-up for Le Mans," explained Milner, who won the GTE-Pro class at Le Mans last year with co-drivers Antonio Garcia and Olivier Beretta. "It's an opportunity for us to perform driver changes under race conditions and to work through race strategies with the engineering team.

"Racing in changing conditions at Laguna Seca will also be good practice for Le Mans," Milner added. "The weather can be chilly in Monterey, and we usually have cold temperatures at night in France. We can evaluate how various Michelin tire compounds perform when the track changes. That's valuable information that can help the team to select the right tires for every condition."

Jan Magnussen, who will co-drive the No. 3 Corvette C6.R with Antonio Garcia at Laguna Seca, also regards the series' third round as a crucial rehearsal for the 24-hour race in France.

"The Laguna Seca race will be another chance to run the car in different temperatures as we drive into twilight," the Dane explained. "It's an opportunity to get more data we can use at Le Mans. All of the team's technical developments for this year, from increasing the overall width of the cars to refining the aero package, have produced a better overall package."

While all eyes are on the prize at Le Mans, no one can overlook Laguna Seca's importance in the fight for the ALMS GT championships. After two of 10 rounds, Chevrolet is tied with BMW for first place in the manufacturers championship at 40 points. Gavin and Milner are second in the drivers championship, three points behind BMW drivers Joey Hand and Dirk Mueller and seven points ahead of teammates Magnussen and Garcia. Twenty-two points are on the line for a victory in the American Le Mans Monterey.

"I always look forward to racing at Laguna Seca," Magnussen said. "I love everything about it – the area, the layout of the track, the fantastic atmosphere."

Milner agreed: "The Corkscrew is cool, but the corner that I really love is Rainey Curve, the fast downhill left-hander after the Corkscrew. The faster the corner, the more I like it!"

The American Le Mans Monterey will start at 1:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, May 12, and will be broadcast on ESPN2 at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, May 13. Live coverage is available starting at 4:15 p.m. ET on ESPN3.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Who's going to Laguna Seca this weekend to see the ALMS race? Came out for it last year in Sept. and had a great time! Only problem is I'm from Nebraska so will be flying out there and then getting a rental - but at least I'll be there. I'm in the local Corvette Club here so was planning to stop over at the Corvette Corral and meet some fellow Vette owners.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to heading up for the race, banquet and the corral....should be fun
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

cya there - I'll be the guy w/o a Corvette!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default Media info

Have you signed up yet? Win a Corvette and trip to Le Mans!
http://www.alms.com/contest

2012 Tequila Patrón American Le Mans Series At Long Beach

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, California, USA

May 10 - 12, 2012

ESPN3 Qualifying Stream 3:15 PM CDT May 11th

ESPN3 Race Stream 3:15 PM CDT May 12th

ESPN2 TV Broadcast 4:00 PM CDT May 13th

U.S. residents: http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/

non-U.S. residents: http://americanlemans.com/index.php
http://www.alms.com/alms-tv

Justin TV link:
http://www.justin.tv/rampageturke2

http://www.twitch.tv/rampageturke2#/w/2313202304

LIVE TIMING:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/lt/ltc.html

http://scoring.alms.com/

Live Timing for mobile device:
http://scoring.alms.com/mobile.html

PIT NOTES:
http://twitter.com/almsnotes

RADIO ALMS
http://www.americanlemans.com/

Laguna Seca Entry List
http://www.imsaracing.net/2012/event...try%20List.pdf

Spotters Guide:
http://www.andyblackmoredesign.com/

Laguna Seca Corvette Corral:
http://www.alms.com/sites/default/fi...20Corral_0.pdf

Long Beach Race Schedule:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2012/event...Regs%205-4.pdf
Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

When is the next race?Is ESPN3 on ROKU or HULUPLUS,netflix??
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
When is the next race?Is ESPN3 on ROKU or HULUPLUS,netflix??
24 hour Le Mans, June 16-17, 2012. Speed will be showing the race.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Thanks.I thought there was one this weekend for some resaon.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Lots of races, Speed TV is advertising it but not ALMS. VIR is having open ALMS testing on June 13-14 but the next ALMS race is Lime Rock on July 6-7, 2012.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:23 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Hard to believe the 24 Heurs du mans is upon us again!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Corvette Racing Primed for the Challenge of Le Mans

Chevrolet Team Aims for Eighth Victory in 24 Hours of Le Mans

LE MANS, France, June 11, 2012 – Corvette Racing comes into the 80th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans as the defending champion in the GTE Pro category. Last year the No. 73 Compuware Corvette C6.R driven by Tommy Milner, Antonio Garcia, and Olivier Beretta scored a come-from-behind victory to capture Corvette Racing's seventh class title in the world's biggest sports car race.

Ranked by National Geographic as the world's top sporting event (http://on.natgeo.com/Mn2hyg), the 24 Hours of Le Mans is a contest of skill, speed, and stamina that overshadows the Olympic Games, World Cup Soccer, and the Super Bowl according to this prestigious publication. Now Corvette Racing, the most successful team in the history of the American Le Mans Series, is ready to take on the challenge of the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the 13th consecutive year. With updated Corvette C6.R race cars and a revised driver roster, Corvette Racing is primed for the long-running battle at the Circuit de la Sarthe. The competition will again be formidable in the GTE Pro category with factory-supported teams representing Ferrari, Porsche, and Aston Martin.

The twin Corvette C6.Rs have been updated in accordance with the ACO rulebook since the team's last appearance at Le Mans. They are two inches wider than the preceding version, with corresponding changes in bodywork and suspension to complement the increased track width. The rear wing is mounted 75mm higher than last year and the Michelin tires have been optimized for the Corvette chassis. The 5.5-liter Chevrolet small-block V-8s are equipped with intake air restrictors that are .4mm larger than in 2011.

"The engineering team ran extensive computer simulations to evaluate the effects of a wider body," said Corvette Racing team manager Gary Pratt. "There is a fine balance between the aerodynamic drag produced by a larger frontal area and the handling improvements that come with a wider track. We expected that the wider body would be better at many of the circuits in the U.S., and the simulations indicated that it would be an improvement at Le Mans as well.

"Although Le Mans is a big, high-speed track, a significant percentage of the lap is spent cornering and braking," Pratt explained. "With the chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight and fast corners like the Porsche Curves, the wide-body design is beneficial."

The driver lineup has been shuffled as well. Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen are teamed with third driver Jordan Taylor in the No. 73 Compuware Corvette C6.R. Tommy Milner has moved to the No. 74 Compuware Corvette C6.R alongside Oliver Gavin and Richard Westbrook. These six drivers have a combined total of 12 class victories at Le Mans.

"I'm really looking forward to this year's Le Mans with all of the new developments on the car," said Magnussen, a four-time Le Mans winner. "I think we have a better understanding and feel for the car than last year, and it seems to be more stable. Le Mans is about a lot of things – top speed is only one of them. I'm confident that we will be able to go to the front again."

"I think we are in a really good position," said Garcia, who notched his third Le Mans win last year. "I'm happy to be back with Jan because we won together in 2009, and it will be good to have Jordan in the car. From what we have seen in testing, the car is more predictable and that should give us the opportunity to be a touch more relaxed – although at Le Mans, 'relaxed' is not the word!"

The race is not always to the swift, as was proven again last year. The No. 73 Corvette was one lap down when an accident sidelined the class-leading No. 74 Corvette in the early morning hours, but endurance and an error-free run carried the day for Chevrolet. Milner made the pass for the lead with two hours to go, and Garcia brought the Corvette home in first place.

"Being consistent and not making mistakes are crucial at Le Mans," said Milner, who scored his breakthrough first victory with Corvette Racing at Le Mans. "Last year we didn't have the fastest car in the class, but it was consistent. The team didn't make any errors, and when our competition had just one small issue, it put them on the back foot. If the speed is there, that's great – but the way to win it is to stop only for fuel, tires and driver changes. That will put you in the best position at the end of the race."

Oliver Gavin has competed 11 times at Le Mans, winning four times. After a streak of three straight wins with Magnussen and Beretta in 2004-06, he's been denied another victory by accidents and mechanical problems that were beyond his control. The Englishman's experience has given him perspective on the race.

"This race is like no other," Gavin said. "It's exceptionally long, exceptionally tough, and high pressure for everybody in the team. It's a highly charged atmosphere in that pit box for the entire 24 hours. You just cannot let up, take your eye off the ball for a single moment, or the 24 Hours of Le Mans will bite you. You must be smart, be consistent, and use your head."

As the 24 Hours of Le Mans celebrates its milestone 80th running and Chevrolet celebrates 60 years of Corvette production, the stage is set for another classic race in the French countryside.

Corvette Racing's next event is the 24 Hours of Le Mans in Le Mans, France, on June 16-17. The race will start Saturday at 3 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET). SPEED and SPEED.com will provide 25 hours of continuous coverage starting at 8:30 a.m. ET on June 16.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default Corvette Racing to Give SPEED Viewers the Ride of a Lifetime at Le Mans

Corvette Racing to Give SPEED Viewers the Ride of a Lifetime at Le Mans

Online Video Streams from Two Corvette C6.Rs and Corvette Racing Garage to Enhance Live Coverage of 24 Hours of Le Mans

LE MANS, France, June 12, 2012 – Race fans in the U.S. will be able to ride along with Corvette Racing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the second consecutive year. SPEED's coverage of the classic endurance race will include live video streams from the two Compuware Corvette C6.Rs as they navigate the immense 8.5-mile Circuit de la Sarthe on June 16-17. A third camera in the Corvette Racing garage will take viewers inside the world's most prestigious sports car race.

This online coverage can be viewed exclusively by at www.speed.com/corvette. This website will also be the only place for fans in the U.S. to watch live coverage of the 24 Hours of Le Mans while SPEED broadcasts other programming from 1:00-2:30 p.m. ET and 7:00-7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 16.

Race fans can also follow the team with real-time updates on Twitter @CorvetteRacing.

One year ago the No. 73 Compuware Corvette took SPEED viewers from the green flag to the checkered flag and a victory in the GTE Pro category. With cameras mounted in both Corvettes this year, viewers will be able to watch the action from two perspectives.

"Last year Corvette Racing gave fans the ride of a lifetime," said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. Vice President for Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. "They were in the cockpit through twilight and darkness, the early-morning rain showers that made the track so difficult, Tommy Milner's thrilling pass for the lead, and Antonio Garcia bringing home Corvette Racing's seventh win at Le Mans. Now we are very proud to provide fans with even more opportunities to experience the magic of Le Mans and to see Corvette take on a field of world-class competitors in the most demanding sports car race on the planet."

SPEED and SPEED.com will provide 25 total hours of continuous broadcast coverage starting on Saturday, June 15, at 8:30 a.m. ET, including pre- and post-race activities.

24 Hours of Le Mans Live Coverage Schedule
(All times Eastern; schedule subject to change)

Saturday, June 16
Le Mans 24 Hours (The Start) 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Live)

Le Mans 24 Hours 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. (Live; SPEED.com)

Le Mans 24 Hours 2:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Live)

Le Mans 24 Hours 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (Live; SPEED.com)

Le Mans 24 Hours 7:30 p.m. – Midnight (Live)

Sunday, June 17
Le Mans 24 Hours (The Finish) Midnight – 9:30 a.m. (Live)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

"Ranked by National Geographic as the world's top sporting event" If I posted that over on my college football message board, they vehemently disagree and tell me to gtfo.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default Corvette Racing on Provisional Pole for 24 Hours of Le Mans

Corvette Racing on Provisional Pole for 24 Hours of Le Mans

Gavin Quickest in GTE Pro in First Qualifying Session in No. 74 Corvette C6.R, Magnussen Third in No. 73 Corvette C6.R

LE MANS, France, June 13, 2012 – Preparations for this weekend's 80th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans began today with four hours of free practice followed by the first of three two-hour qualifying sessions. Oliver Gavin qualified the No. 74 Corvette C6.R on the provisional pole in GTE Pro with a lap at 3:55.910 in the opening minutes of the qualifying session. Jan Magnussen provisionally qualified the No. 73 Corvette C6.R third at 3:57.181.

"I never thought we would get down to such quick lap times in a GT car," Gavin said. "It's amazing to run 3.55s with the regulations in this class. It shows what Corvette Racing can do. The car was really fantastic, one of the best I've ever driven at Le Mans."

Gavin's time was quicker than his class-leading lap in the second session on Test Day, and quicker than last year's pole-winning time in GTE Pro.

"I was helped hugely on the lap by Jan," Gavin explained. "He was just in front of me on the Mulsanne Straight. I started to tow up behind him, and as we came out of the second chicane he let me by – it was just perfect. I know that I left something on the table on that lap. I might have gone quicker on the next one, but a Prototype passed me in the Porsche Curves and held me up just that little bit. Who knows?"

Corvette Racing's twin Compuware Corvette C6.Rs were third and eighth in the opening practice session. Then after a two-hour break, the initial qualifying session ran from 10 p.m. to midnight on the imposing 8.5-mile circuit.

“My qualifying lap was quite decent," Magnussen said. "The balance of the car has improved a lot since this afternoon’s free practice session. Straight after I set my time the car developed a power steering problem which the team resolved so Jordan could get in his night laps.”

Jordan Taylor was back on track in the No. 73 Compuware Corvette C6.R after an encounter with a tire wall during the Test Day on June 3. The 21-year-old Le Mans rookie was quickly up to speed.

"I just wanted to get used to the car again and gain confidence," Taylor said. "It was a little intimidating going back out there after the test, but I was happy to get in some laps and I'm looking forward to doing more laps to gain experience. The track is a little greener and a little cooler than it was during the test, but it's always changing here on the public roads."

Richard Westbrook was unable to participate in the Test Day due to a schedule conflict, so the third driver of the No. 74 Corvette C6.R was eager to get reacquainted with the car that he last raced in March in Sebring, Fla.

"It's always nice driving a C6.R here at Le Mans," Westbrook said. "We were expecting the track to have changed quite a bit from the test, but it doesn't seem to have done that. We have a good baseline and we're feeling confident."

Antonio Garcia turned his quickest time in the No. 73 Corvette C6.R in the four-hour practice at 3:59.480. “The car feels good, and we were just getting reacquainted with the track so we ran the entire session on old tires" said the Spaniard. "We know we can go a long distance on the same set of tires, so that’s good news. We also know we’ll be right there once we put on a set of new tires. The track is slowly improving as the competitors are putting in more laps in longer runs, so they’re putting down more rubber."

Qualifying will continue on Thursday with a second session from 7 to 9 p.m., and conclude with the final session from 10 p.m. to midnight. With the possibility of rain tomorrow, the team has already posted competitive qualifying times with both Corvettes and four of the six drivers have completed their required laps in darkness.

Corvette Racing's next event is the 24 Hours of Le Mans in Le Mans, France, on June 16-17. Practice and qualifying continues on Thursday, June 14 with two two-hour sessions. The race will start Saturday at 3 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET). SPEED and SPEED.com will provide continuous coverage starting at 8:30 a.m. ET on June 16; see local listings for program times.

24 Hours of Le Mans GTE Pro Provisional Qualifying Times

Pos./Car No./Drivers/Car/Time

1. 74 Gavin/Milner/Westbrook, Corvette C6.R, 3:55.910

2. 59 Makowiecki/Melo/Farnbacher, Ferrari 458 Italia, 3:56.076

3. 73 Garcia/Magnussen/Taylor, Corvette C6.R, 3:57.181

4. 97 Mucke/Turner/Fernandez, Aston Martin Vantage V8, 3:57.466

5. 71 Bertolini/Beretta/Cioci, Ferrari 458 Italia, 3:57.509

6. 77 Lietz/Lieb/Henzler, Porsche 911 RSR, 3:57.648

7. 80 Bergmeister/Long/Holzer, Porsche 911 RSR, 3:58.717

8. 66 Cocker/Walker/Wills, Ferrari 458 Italia, 4:00.883

9. 51 Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander, Ferrari 458 Italia, no time
Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default Corvette Racing Videos Parts 1 and 2

EPISODE 1:
Corvette Racing - Flat Out - 2012 24 Hours of Le Mans "The Prep" (Episode 1 of 5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgmuk...feature=relmfu

EPISODE 2:
Team Chevy | Corvette Racing - Flat Out - 2012 24 Hours of Le Mans "The Team" (Episode 2 of 5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALZF...ature=youtu.be

Episode 3 "The Drivers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmyNXWaiMA

Episode 4: The Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YByCc...1&feature=plcp

Last edited by cor123; 06-15-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default Le Mans Schedule

Are you on Twitter? If not, sign up for a free account and follow the Corvette Racing Le Mans pit notes. Let's help Corvette Racing build it's Twitter followers! https://twitter.com/#!/CorvetteRacing

LE MANS MEDIA SCHEDULE:

Speed TV Schedule & live streaming:

24 Hours of Le Mans Live Coverage Schedule
(All times Eastern; schedule subject to change)

Saturday, June 16
Le Mans 24 Hours (The Start) 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Live)
Le Mans 24 Hours 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. (Live; SPEED.com)
Le Mans 24 Hours 2:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Live)
Le Mans 24 Hours 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (Live; SPEED.com)
Le Mans 24 Hours 7:30 p.m. – Midnight (Live)

Sunday, June 17
Le Mans 24 Hours (The Finish) Midnight – 9:30 a.m. (Live)

STREAMING: SPEED.com: SUPLEMENT: live video streaming online at
www.speed.com/corvette

Justin TV online: http://www.justin.tv/rampageturke2#/w/3243417376

Schedule of events:
http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/...es-du-mans.pdf

Live Timing & pit notes:
http://live.lemans-tv.com/en/

http://thomasbaekdal.com/mini-sites/lemans2012/

Radio Le Mans:
http://radiolemans.com/

Track Map:
http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/..._situation.pdf

Le Mans Entry List:
http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/..._mans_2012.pdf

News & Info & links:
http://corvettemotorsport.com/Multimedia

Weather:
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/FRXX0048

Spotters Guide:
http://blog.simraceway.com/2012/06/d...ter-guide-now/

Race fans still have only a few days to enter for a chance to win a 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Convertible and a trip to Le Mans, France, for the 2012 24 Hours of Le Mans by entering the “Race to Win Corvette promotion at www.racetowincorvette by June 20, 2012.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Corvette Racing Qualifies Third and Fifth in GTE Pro for 24 Hours of Le Mans

Team Focuses on Final Preparations in Four Hours of Qualifying

LE MANS, France, June 14, 2012 – When the clock struck midnight at Le Mans, the field was set for the 80th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Corvette Racing's Compuware Corvette C6.Rs will start third and fifth in the GTE Pro field in the classic endurance race. A pair of two-hour qualifying sessions that ended at midnight determined the final qualifying order, but the Corvette Racing crew concentrated on preparations for the upcoming 24-hour test of endurance.

Both Compuware Corvette C6.Rs stood on their qualifying times set on Wednesday night. The No. 59 Ferrari turned the fastest lap in today's first session at 3:55.393, followed by the No. 97 Aston Martin at 3:55.870, knocking the No. 74 Corvette C6.R off the GTE Pro pole that it had held provisionally at the end of yesterday's session. Oliver Gavin turned a lap in 3:55.910 on Wednesday night, and that time held for the third spot in GTE Pro.

"Track conditions were different tonight and that seemed to affect us more than the others," Gavin said. "I just couldn't generate the same cornering force that I could yesterday, and couldn't attack the corners like I did yesterday. It was very close with the Aston Martin getting ahead of us by only a few hundredths of a second on an 8.5-mile circuit. So we'll go with what we've got – third is quite good. I'm looking forward to the race now."

Jan Magnussen's 3:57.181 in the No. 73 Corvette C6.R on Wednesday was the fifth quickest in the GTE Pro category.

"In the first session tonight we gave Jordan (Taylor) as much track time as we could to make sure he’s comfortable with the car and the track," Magnussen said. "As for a fast lap, we decided not to go for that since Antonio (Garcia) still had to get his night time laps in and we were still working on finding the right setup. The good news is that we've saved an extra set of soft tires for Saturday and Sunday."

Garcia agreed with his Danish co-driver: "The car is good but we’re still trying different setups and ideas to make sure we have the best possible package," he said. "All three of us put in a good number of laps at night to get used to the darkness and the traffic, which is a good practice for Saturday night. All in all we’re ready to go."

Long runs in the No. 73 Corvette C6.R bolstered the confidence of the team's youngest driver, 21-year-old Jordan Taylor. "Today was definitely an improvement over yesterday," he noted. "I felt more confident and my lap times were a lot more consistent, which was exactly what I wanted to accomplish. I still keep learning the track over the course of each session, and will continue to do so throughout the weekend."

Tommy Milner opened today's first session with a solid one-hour stint in the No. 74 Corvette C6.R, setting the early pace with a 3:58.214 time that stood as the fastest lap for the first hour.

"I had relatively little traffic tonight, a stark contrast to last night," Milner reported. "We worked through several setup options and made improvements. Ultimately the race is the most important thing, so we're working on making the car comfortable. This is a great test for us, with conditions that are comparable to what we'll see in the race.

"Comparing to last year's car, I'm much happier with the new wide-body C6.R," Milner noted. "Speeds are definitely faster, although some that has to do with the track resurfacing. I would say that all of the computer simulations and technology have paid off."

Richard Westbrook ran nearly an hour in the first session in the No. 74 Corvette C6.R and then completed his mandatory laps in darkness in the second session.

"The car feels good, the lap times are very good, but we don't know what the competition is doing," Westbrook said. "Everyone is on a different program. Some are using qualifying as a race setup simulation like us, some are going for a qualifying lap. It's very difficult to judge where you are. All we can do is our own thing; the Corvette C6.R feels great. It would be nice to know for sure that we are as competitive as it feels we are, but we'll all know for certain on Saturday afternoon."

Corvette Racing's next event is the 24 Hours of Le Mans in Le Mans, France, on June 16-17. The race will start Saturday at 3 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET). SPEED and SPEED.com will provide continuous coverage in the U.S. starting at 8:30 a.m. ET on June 16; see local listings for program times.

24 Hours of Le Mans GTE Pro Qualifying Times

Pos./Car No./Drivers/Car/Time

1. 59 Makowiecki/Melo/Farnbacher, Ferrari 458 Italia, 3:55.393

2. 97 Mucke/Turner/Fernandez, Aston Martin Vantage V8, 3:55.870

3. 74 Gavin/Milner/Westbrook, Corvette C6.R, 3:55.910

4. 71 Bertolini/Beretta/Cioci, Ferrari 458 Italia, 3:56.484

5. 73 Garcia/Magnussen/Taylor, Corvette C6.R, 3:57.181

6. 77 Lietz/Lieb/Henzler, Porsche 911 RSR, 3:57.606

7. 80 Bergmeister/Long/Holzer, Porsche 911 RSR, 3:58.717

8. 66 Cocker/Walker/Wills, Ferrari 458 Italia, 3:59.638

9. 51 Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander, Ferrari 458 Italia, no time

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 06-16-2012, 04:52 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Crrently 1-3!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Link to watching the #73 onboard camera: http://stream.speedtv.com/corvette
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

end of the race was quite the cluster, wish it didnt end the way it did but what can ya do.

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!