Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barber with Chin

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black C5Zs are to ZO6cool like kryptonite is to Superman apparently...
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Barber Turn 4 from a Novice who has had 4 instructors

I'll share some random thoughts about the turn the C5Z went into the wall on.

My first instructor drilled it into my head repeatedly, even grabbed my wheel a couple times (Lion of Barber) to make sure I knew that this blind high speed hump was where cars end up in the wall. Point taken, I always try to be going straight over that hump and not turning until come down.

Another instructor mentioned I was shifting into 4'th too close to the hump. That unsettled the car. He/me wanted that car stable going over the hump. The rpm was ready up there so that was where I shifted, but shifting a bit earlier at a lower rpm was certainly a safer thing to do. Since I don't want to trash any cars, point taken, nuff said.

Another instructor mentioned I was pinching after the turn and having to finish turning at track out where there is usually some kind of rubber or rubble on the track and that wasn't good. I thought, ya I know I was doing that, better than going off track, and I stayed straight over the hump. I didn't really make any correction from this, but was aware of the situation.

My check ride instructor caught the same thing and requested that at track out on 3, instead of turning in mid rumble strip, go to the end and turn in. This made the apex of 4 later and had me already pointing down track more. This way I didnt have to finish the turn out in the rubble. I'm sure that is a bit slower line, but after trying it with him, it did totally take all drama out of the hump at 4.

One instructor showed me (grabbed my wheel and forced)
One instructor got my shift out of the way earlier to make sure car stable, even though a bit early in rpm curve.
One instructor observed and cautioned
One instructor showed alternative and explained.

Just sharing some thoughts for you instructors about what goes through our minds. All the above were beneficial. Don't jump on the wheel grabber, he embedded the line into my brain that way, I have no complaints. The third approach worked best for me though.

Ken . . .

Last edited by kwhiteside; 10-18-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
donymo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Timz06
Yet another Chin convert to the vette? Pretty soon, Mark will be driving a C5

Tim
Mark will probably never own a Corvette or Porsche! He loves his Miata's and NSX's too much. Unfortunately, the black Chin NSX (my former car, btw) had a major suspension failure this weekend and will be down for awhile.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 PM
no spin
Instructor

Thanks for a fun weekend guys, it sure got lonely fast with everyone leaving early.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by no spin
Thanks for a fun weekend guys, it sure got lonely fast with everyone leaving early.
Hey Tom, I didn't realize you were No Spin. I got major sunburn Sat and wasn't feeling too great, plus it was nice getting out of there without a scratch on my car.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Thanks again for the lunches... Had a great time. Needed to get back to Atlanta for my parent's 60th wedding anniversary dinner.

See you next time
Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I limped my way home. This injury thing is getting old. Thanks for helping me tie down.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
donymo
Intermediate

Default event photos

Barber event photos

Quick Reply: Barber with Chin