Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Seats for Bigger Guys?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Racing Seats for Bigger Guys?

I am considering the Corbeau a4s. I see they make a "wide" version but i am not sure they will fit in the car. I am a bigger guy, 5'11" 250. 40-42" waste. Not sure what my options are for better seats. I also plan to run a harness bar and 5 or 6 point harnesses.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6ft 275. Corbeau big enuf for me wouldn't fit in the car. Cobra Suzuka fit me and the car perfectly. Love 'em but don't buy anything without sitting in them first!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Yeah, there is a local race shop not TOO far away that i believe has a seat showroom. I will definitely go hit them up first but i am not sure if they carry cobra. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Might want to look at the Sparco EVO II seat.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Might want to look at the Sparco EVO II seat.
I had the Evo II in my C5Z. It was a snug fit in the car, but it did fit. I mounted it on a Sparco slider, but the snug fit rendered the slider very hard to operate. I finally just left it in the driving position. I'm 5-11, 225 and the seat fit me fine.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try 18" kirkey measure your butt for the width with something that acts like book ends when sitting on a bench.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
try 18" kirkey measure your butt for the width with something that acts like book ends when sitting on a bench.

I am 5' 10" at 220 and use a 17 inch wide Ultrashield Deluxe Road Race Seat. I have been instructing for 5 years and sat in quite a few cars that had the Sparco's, Corbeau's, etc and they didn't fit well across my hips. I felt like I was riding on top of the seat bolsters instead of between them. With the Kirkey and Ultrashield seats you order based on the width across your hips measured when you are seated on a bench. You will have to have a seat back brace if you use either of these seats but you can get one that clamps to your harness bar for about $80. Both of these seats have nice shoulder supports that hold your body in place when accelerating hard out of a corner. You just hold the steering wheel in a normal manner and let the seat and shoulder support hold you in place.

Bill
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
LT70ZR91
Burning Brakes

Interested, more input anyone?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
MR Turco
Pro

I should have prefaced the question by saying this is still a street car. I will drive this car around town, to work, with my wife. Are Kirkeys and Ultrashields a viable option?

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

I am 5' 10" at 220 and use a 17 inch wide Ultrashield Deluxe Road Race Seat. I have been instructing for 5 years and sat in quite a few cars that had the Sparco's, Corbeau's, etc and they didn't fit well across my hips. I felt like I was riding on top of the seat bolsters instead of between them. With the Kirkey and Ultrashield seats you order based on the width across your hips measured when you are seated on a bench. You will have to have a seat back brace if you use either of these seats but you can get one that clamps to your harness bar for about $80. Both of these seats have nice shoulder supports that hold your body in place when accelerating hard out of a corner. You just hold the steering wheel in a normal manner and let the seat and shoulder support hold you in place.

Bill
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I should have prefaced the question by saying this is still a street car. I will drive this car around town, to work, with my wife. Are Kirkeys and Ultrashields a viable option?
I could ride NY to CA in a Kirkey. You need to be flexible. Most would not like it for the street. You need deep to hold you in place belts do some but not most of keeping you in place.

The A4 is the perfect adjustable racing seat for tight spaces and minimal headroom applications. Whether on the street, the track, or off-road, the A4 racing seat will enhance your overall driving experience. As a rule of thumb, the A4 will fit up to a 34-36 inch waist while the A4 Wide will fit up to a 38-40 inch waist. High wear patches are strategically placed to protect your seat from abuse in the high wear areas. The A4 racing seat is available in cloth, with leatherette high wear patches, microsuede, with leather high wear patches, and 100% black leather.

* Overview
* Technology

Infinite recline: The fingertip controlled reclining mechanism allows the seat back to be adjusted to the ultimate driving position. Corbeau reclining technology allows with just the lift of the lever, the seat back to be immediately returned to the full upright position.

Bolster Support: Ultimate lateral support with well-defined thigh, kidney, and shoulder bolsters will allow both the driver and passenger to remain in the optimal seating position. The reduction of body shifting will reduce the amount of driver fatigue and enhance the overall driving experience.

Harness Capability: This seat has harness slots for 3 and 4-point harness belt capability. A submarine slot (5th slot) can be added to the seat base for a $29.00 charge. This slot will create 5-point harness capability.

Injection Molded Foam: High-density injection molded foam provides ultimate comfort. The heat transfer into the foam causes the seat to form to your body. The foam will maintain its shape for years insuring long lasting comfort.

Fabric: Anti-slip cloth and microsuede materials coupled with anti-wear patches. Contains UV inhibitors. 100% automotive grade leather also available. This seat has been extensively tested under extreme conditions and found to be colorfast.
Steel Frame: Extra strong, lightweight, powder coated tubular steel frame.
I would not bother getting those to hold me in place to shallow use stock and a six point.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-27-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
kflee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am considering the Corbeau a4s. I see they make a "wide" version but i am not sure they will fit in the car. I am a bigger guy, 5'11" 250. 40-42" waste. Not sure what my options are for better seats. I also plan to run a harness bar and 5 or 6 point harnesses.

Thanks in advance!
The wider version of the A4 will not fit. I just installed the regular version and they barely fit. Still needs some fine tuning on the passenger seat so that the sliders work well. I am 5'10", 155lbs and I fit well, although the shoulder area is snug.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I have the 17" Ultra shield and like it a lot. On the road I use a medical doughnut (otherwise known as a hemorrhoid cushion) to sit on and it is quite comfortable and then take it out at the track. I have driven 2 hours without it and survived ok. The biggest advantage is that you almost feel like you do not need seat belts because you are snug inside
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

6'1" 250 lbs. 17.5 kirkey road race deluxe seats. Absolutely love them.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Joe_Knesek
Racer

An aluminum seat is going to give you the maximum room. My ISP seat fits like a glove & is more comfortable than the stock seat but isn't the easiest to get in & out of. The rib plates are only 10 inches wide. ISP builds their seats to order so you can get exactly what you need.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Aluminum seats can be a viable option depending on what you are doing and if you modify them a little.

No matter what seat you choose you need to make sure your harness bar or rollbar is low enough to mount the shoulder belts properly. When the shoulder belt comes off your shoulder it should be at about a 6 degree down angle. If the bar is too high the belts come down at too sharp of an angle and you are forced to raise the seat to get the proper belt orientation or so the belt hole in the seat doesn't interfere with path of the belt from the bar to the top of your shoulder or HANS. BK and Shark Bar are two bars that get the belt bar lower. With any of these seats the higher the seat is the harder it is to fit between the steering wheel and the seat.

You can modify the aluminum seat by cutting the belt holes a little larger (takes some tin snips) but you can't do that with a fiberglass seat.

One thing I did with the two seats in my car was have the outside of the seat bent downward to make it easier to get in and out. I may also bend the rib section out a little. I didn't know I could do that when I bought the seats but the racer who helped me install them said you can do what is needed to make it easy to get in and out of the car and to make the seat fit you properly.

On the street road race seat belts aren't legal as they aren't DOT approved. There are a couple of ways around that problem. Use a stock manual seat track so you can mount the inside of the stock belts in the stock locations and then pass the outside lap belt through the seat belt hole in the seat before you fasten it in place. That way you can use the stock belt when you want to. It is a little trickier doing some of this with the C6 belts since they have the pretensioner built into them.

The stock seat track only has one problem. It is high. If you use something like the Hardbar rails you can get the seat bottom within an inch of the floor.

The "donut" cushion idea is a good one. Aluminum seats are basically hard belted to the floor with no springs other than a thin piece of foam that is part of the seat cover. The seats are comfortable but you will feel every pebble in the road.

If you are driving around with your wife make sure she wears pants. The easiest way I have found to get into my seat is to sit on the edge and drop my butt in and then swivel my legs up and over the seat and down into the footwell. A dress or skirt might be a little too revealing to passer bys.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-27-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Thanks for all the input guys, it is much appreciated.

Has anyone ever tried stock Mitsubishi Evo seats? I am curious if they fit. I never had a problem autox'ing my evo and loved the seats for long drives. They are stock recaros with no airbags so they are relatively light - and cheap. I think you can find a set for around 4-600 used in decent condition.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

no wonder i have so much trouble,,6-6 250

Johnny
still using stock seat

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Seats for Bigger Guys?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 PM
mikemiller68gs
Instructor

I'm using the Corbeau A4. I'm 6'0" and 235-240. I like them. They took some adjustment for helmet headroom. They are definetly tight in the shoulders(I have very big shoulders), but otherwise great. I did a track day 6 hours away and they were fine for the long ride. If you go this route with the A4 shoot me a PM.

Mike
Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I should have prefaced the question by saying this is still a street car.
I will drive this car around town, to work, with my wife. Are Kirkeys
and Ultrashields a viable option?
I have an 18" wide Kirkey Roadrace Deluxe in a C4.

While supremely comfortable for the task, my vote is that this model
is on the hardcore side of the civilian/racer dividing line. As delivered,
its passthough belt openings are not compatible with OEM retractable
belts and as my installation positioned the seat further back than the
OEM seat, the OEM belt attachment points were no longer suitable.
As already mentioned, a properly designed seat back support is called
for.

While not insurmountable, these are very likely significant considerations.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks in advance!
If you have the money Caravaggio makes a nice seat that will work for you as a dual use seat.. I was 6' 285 when I got mine. I use a 6 point harness with them or I could still use the OEM selt belt. And they fit on the OEM seat rails with no problems so you can still keep the seats memory fuctions..

The biggest drawback other than the price is that they are leather cover seats which is not the best cover for a race seat. Mine work great for DEs but I would not want to use them in TT or W2W.

Quick Reply: Racing Seats for Bigger Guys?