Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!

We are very proud to introduce the new Hardbar/AP Racing T1Corvette brake kit. The kit is compliant with SCCA T1 rules and will fit most wheels (CCW Classics excepted). It uses the very best technology and components available anywhere. The caliper is a super stiff, forged aluminum competition design with many details that you will not find on a street based caliper, like nerf bars to prevent the bleeders from getting knocked off in wheel changes. The caliper is a new version of the AP 8350 4 pot and has stainless steel pistons with anti-kickback springs. This caliper is a based on the caliper that is used in NASCAR Featherlight Modified series, only is a radial mount and has the appropriate piston sizes for the OE Corvette master cylinder. The pads are the 7420 (20mm thick!) shape which are available in virtually any compound, from soft street pads to the CL RC8 pads used to win at the highest level of NASCAR road race competition. We will be offering several pads for this as well, such as the CL RC8 and the Ferodo DS1.11 (to mention only 2)

See the following link for additional details:
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/compe...0-caliper.html .

The rotor is a 12.81 diameter, 1.25 thick, 70 vane, "J" hook rotor, that is a full floating design on Hardbar hats. The Hardbar hats (all production hats are black hard anodized, as shown in the video) have many unique innovations from the captured fasteners, to the air bypass ports that allow airflow to the outer face of the rotor that normally never gets the benefit of the cooling air. The captured hex head AN (aircraft) fasteners not only do not have the possibility of rotating, but they aid in rapid rotor ring changes. We use Nordlocks on the nut side for the ultimate in security. All this and it still 2 pounds lighter than stock/NAPA rotors!

We made a short video to show the procedure for assembly of a replacement rotor and please note the air bypass ports on the hat at the end of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqwEDgw5U0

Replacement rings are only $250 and as compared to the NAPA stock rotors, you will not know how to occupy your time at the track, since you will not be replacing these very often! Over the next few days, we will add to this thread, but I wanted to get the announcement before we leave for 2 days. It is available for ordering now, with shipping to commence next week, $2600 for the whole front end, pads and SS lines additional.

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=156

In addition, we will also be offering a Quantum Motorsports brake duct kit that is specifically designed for this brake system and does not require wheel bearing removal (gotta love Solidworks and the ability to swap models!)

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-14-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Is the 250 ring replacement ea or per pair?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Each. The rotors are available separately. They will not fit the OE slide rail calipers, but will fit most any 4 or 6 pot aftermarket caliper.
Complete rotor assembly:
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=154

Replacement rings:
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=155

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-14-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

I think you guys are really going to like this kit. I've spent quite a bit of time over the past few days pulling these calipers apart, taking photos, etc. They have an unbelievable amount of content in them for the money. There isn't anything else built to this spec on the market.

These discs are also tanks. I know a few of you T1 guys have been thrashing them, and I'm sure you're finding that they're bullet-proof. We've been torture testing them in pro racing for a long time, so I know they will be able to take any abuse you throw at them.

Nice work putting this thing together Gary. This is one serious package for the money.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 PM
DaBullish1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I gotta have some of that...

Gary,

What a great package. I am a novice to HPDE but have quickly learned that the brakes are the weakest link on my car. I have spindle ducts and have been running Cobalt CSR pads but can still get a soft pedal after a hard 30 minute session. Your seat rails, camera mount, and Delrin shift **** (I have) are great products and I appreciate your willingness to explain a few things to me via telephone. Keep up the good work bringing useful products to market.

Jim
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Nice!
Will the calipers work with OEM rotors?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
I think you guys are really going to like this kit. I've spent quite a bit of time over the past few days pulling these calipers apart, taking photos, etc. They have an unbelievable amount of content in them for the money. There isn't anything else built to this spec on the market.

These discs are also tanks. I know a few of you T1 guys have been thrashing them, and I'm sure you're finding that they're bullet-proof. We've been torture testing them in pro racing for a long time, so I know they will be able to take any abuse you throw at them.

Nice work putting this thing together Gary. This is one serious package for the money.

I have been very impressed by the durability of the rotors. I won't know what to do if I don't have to be checking and replacing rotors between practice, qualifying and race sessions.

Maybe I will have to buy a lawn chair for the paddock.

Oli
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Maybe I will have to buy a lawn chair for the paddock.

Oli
Oli,

Lawn chairs are unstable on the podium!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

easy ring swap looks great! Losing 2 pounds per wheel. is great also

that is also a good link you have http://www.essexparts.com/shop/compe...0-caliper.html .

7420 is a very common pad which is used in the Wilwood SL-6

Are they running these front & rear with smaller pistons in the rear?

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-14-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in (4 calipers, 4 rotors).
Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Is the 250 ring replacement ea or per pair?
each ring
Old 07-14-2010, 05:46 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
Very Nice!
Will the calipers work with OEM rotors?
Yes, but what a shame to do!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Yes, but what a shame to do!
So these rotors will work for me on my WW SL-6 where I have Stoptech rotors now? Drop my Stoptech's to the rear with your lighter rotor up front?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, but it might require some shimming/trimming of the WW brackets. And yes John, it is a USA/UK project, just like the P-51 Mustang!

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-14-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Great job putting this together for us guys! I can't wait for mine to ship next week and test them out at MMP in August!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

My Stoptech were 1 pound heavier than OEM so your hat and rotor will be 3 pounds less than my Stoptech

Get notified of new replies

To New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I want my APC (AP calipers)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

that is also a good link you have
Thanks John. I spent some hours on that bad boy. I tried to cram as much usable info in there as possible. True to my usual form, probably a bit long winded. I'm working on something similarly long-winded for the discs.

And yes John, it is a USA/UK project, just like the P-51 Mustang!
Lol...something like that...but it was definitely a solid effort on both sides of the pond. AP really did an an admirable job taking our input on the design changes/features we wanted, and our in-house race engineer was a great asset to keep things pushing forward. As always, Gary was persistent in supporting vette racers. I think he was possibly the first guy to call me when I switched teams. He had me on the phone asking about corvette brakes before I even started work at my new job.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

need to see if those rotors will work with the Wilwoods I picked up.

Quick Reply: New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!