Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 creaking suspension, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenak
"creaking" is always control arm bushings. usually the uppers in front and rear. Once you go to a T1, Poly, etc you need to drill zerk fittings and push grease into them. Or they creak on compression. Period. For a race car who cars, on the street its annoying.

Zerk fit them.

Read the thread in this section:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Disagree I had squeaking and it was a shock.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
This was my issue.

I used a dead man to raise the puck off the A-arm and cleaned/lubed. I only found when i was aligning the car and decided to clean the muck out of the a arm

Now to quiet the rear clicking.....
Originally Posted by John Shiels
Disagree I had squeaking and it was a shock.
I'm pretty sure it's the bushings since the last time i sprayed them with WD40 it went away. I shot them with silicone spray now but no help....

The spring adjuster on the T1-springs is made of some type of hard white plastic and I don't see how they could just suddenly start to make a sound? No dirt or muck in the a-arms either.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_Z06
I'm pretty sure it's the bushings since the last time i sprayed them with WD40 it went away. I shot them with silicone spray now but no help....

The spring adjuster on the T1-springs is made of some type of hard white plastic and I don't see how they could just suddenly start to make a sound? No dirt or muck in the a-arms either.
i pounded my head as well.

My T1 spring was sort of 'popping' - i assume as the puck skittered across the a-arm surface? It was after an extended period of sitting - and i replaced the motor so the puck was off the arm and etc...

I checked every bolt 42 times etc...it's quiet now but ...

good luck!

-ken
Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

i pounded my head as well.

My T1 spring was sort of 'popping' - i assume as the puck skittered across the a-arm surface? It was after an extended period of sitting - and i replaced the motor so the puck was off the arm and etc...

I checked every bolt 42 times etc...it's quiet now but ...

good luck!

-ken
The sound is kind of popping, i.e not a constant creaking but in very short intervalls so to speak. But it's LOUD though. I'll give the adjusters a splash of WD40 and see what happens.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Once more I lubed the bushings with a light penetrating oil, "WD40-ish" but slightly thicker. Creaking is almost gone, but I'm pretty sure it will return. As far as I can tell the height adjusters aren't making any noise at all, it's the bushings.

I closely inspected the bushings. On the lower a-arm the rear part of the front bushing is slightly tilted. See pictures, tried to visualize the tilt with the read line in pic #2. If you look closely you can see that there is more rubber showing on the top compared to the bottom. Is this ok? One the other side (passenger side) the bushing is symetric. Good or bad? Bushing is all glossy due to the oil btw.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM
geerookie
Drifting

If I remeber correctly, When I switched all my bushings, the factory rubber bushings are bonded to the control arms and are designed to pivot and only move about the center sleeve. If spraying anything on the part you can see makes the noise go away then the bond is broken and the only way to stop the noise will be to replace the control arm/bushing.
From your picture it definetly looks like the rubber has moved.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Bummer. That is what I suspected. I guess the stock bushings don't like track use that much then. I haven't even used r-compund tires or track pads yet. I'm to "soft" to go for poly bushings, how do the bushings on the T1 arms compare to stock? Do they last longer? Are they quiet?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

how do the bushings on the T1 arms compare to stock? Do they last longer? Are they quiet?
the bushes in my T1 arms that came on my new-to-me Z are making noises that sound just like what your describing (at least i think its the bushings).
Im also interested in the differences in the T1 arms vs stock. I wish someone who knows would chime in on that.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies. I've now replaced all 4 front a-arm with new T1-arms. So far it seems that the sound in gone. As far as I can tell it was the bushings in the lower arms that made the noise, even though the visually look ok.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Keep us posted if it comes back. Mine does it too.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
the bushes in my T1 arms that came on my new-to-me Z are making noises that sound just like what your describing (at least i think its the bushings).
Im also interested in the differences in the T1 arms vs stock. I wish someone who knows would chime in on that.
my "creeaking" went away after installing new front upper a-arms / bushings.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars are getting a little old. Bushings are just wearing out from age and track use. Glad the T-1 arms fixed it.

I put T-1 arms in mine about 3 years ago. Still working fine.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Some feedback. After driving a more or less quiet car for a month or two the noise came back again, although not that loud this time. Since the T1-arms were basicially brand new with 2000 street mls the only two things that remained were the rubber bushing moulded to the spring and the delrin T1 height adjusters. I chosed to replaced the T1 adjusters with stock rubber ones. So far so good, noise is gone again, I'm hoping for good this time. The noise used to be prominet when jacking the car up or turning the wheels while stationary, but so far the car passes those test. I guess time will tell if it works this time.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Any ideas? It is starting to drive me crazy.
LTs and straight pipes
Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 AM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
LTs and straight pipes
That would be the next logical step if it starts to make the noise agaian I guess.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 AM
C5_Z06
Instructor

Fwiw, I just wanted to report that car is silent. It seemed to be the T1 height adjusters. Thanks to those of youwho pointed me in the right direction. Thought it might be useful info for someone having the same problems with the T1-chassis.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Really? I bought an old T1 suspension kit and the pucks on the springs had nothing on them. Just metal. I'm probably wearing out my aluminum control arms where they rub...

Get notified of new replies

To C5 creaking suspension, what to do?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 PM
boomie1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Pics of sway bar and bushings?

Anyone have pics of sway bar and bushings part on the front and rear so I know what to aim the silicone spray to
Old 07-15-2014, 06:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

This was my issue.

I used a dead man to raise the puck off the A-arm and cleaned/lubed. I only found when i was aligning the car and decided to clean the muck out of the a arm

Now to quiet the rear clicking.....

Another vote for the adjuster "puck" on the end of the spring. Clean & lube with a grease that does not attract dirt. Drove me nuts til I finally figured it out.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:04 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On my car it is the T1 white plastic adjuster. The car creaks when changing tires and coming down off the lift.
Grease is the only thing that fixes it. the car has sperical bearings and bilstien shocks the noise only started when I put the T1 spring in the T1 bars never made a sound when using the stock Z06 springs.

Quick Reply: C5 creaking suspension, what to do?