Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is competing in a C4 (84-96) in Autocross, W2W, TT, and Open Road ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,774 Likes on 949 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Second only to the black #271, of course!
Of course! I was going to type that but my keyboard stopped working....
Old 06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Second only to the black #271, of course!
I should have known you'd chime in.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just semi - started. Our Garage Queens just did not get it [ one's an '89 & the other a '91] .

It took only a couple outings to figure out whythat's not a great idea.

We bought an '84, eleven months ago, and have gutted it. Pretty much done with what we are going to do, and look to be on track October?

It seems that a lot of folks see it as a waste of time, but it is SO cost effective?

Sure, C5 has a stiffer frame and can breath like crazy, C6 even more so. EVO is this, Z's are that, Mustangs are Boss, and Porsche is better than most anything.

But after just a year of HPDE we see t is the guy behind the wheel that makes the difference?

I watch guys in P.O.S.'s run "check book" racers in circles.

I watched a brand new Camaro with the full package go flying into the Kitty Litter at Road Atl and trash a brand new $40,000 car.

Same day same turn a Fac. 5 Cobra bit the same turn 10A. Towed away as toast [ ?? on the cost of that one?].

Sad .. but we have $10,000 in our modest project, spend fun time finding cheap parts, and enjoy the atmosphere.

FUN!!!

Will I challenge the big boys? No, but I bet we wax the load of rich boys?............ Fun!!!!!!!!!!

TJM

Last edited by TJM; 06-30-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: I can't freaking spell
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by TJM
Sad .. but we have $10,000 in our modest project, spend fun time finding cheap parts, and enjoy the atmosphere.
One of the big reasons Jay Leno loves the corvette. You can beat the hell out of them and just replace parts as needed. Of course he can do that with a ZO6, but hey, not everyone can play like that.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
Will I challenge the big boys? No, but I bet we wax the load of rich boys?............ Fun!!!!!!!!!!

TJM
Wrong-O, my friend. You can even challenge them. I'd say it's more work to do so, but there's no reason you can't in a C4. Dollar for dollar, the C5Z is damn near the best starting platform on the planet. But that doesn't mean you can't get a C4 there with some effort.

They do have us beat on reliability, hands down. And the aftermarket for the C4 (true race parts) isn't really there anymore. But most of the stuff on a race car is custom, anyway, so it's not the end of the world. Just be aware that nobody's developing new parts for us, we have to make them ourselves.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

:
Originally Posted by rasrboy
I should have known you'd chime in.
?#271 ?
sorry ...noob

Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Wrong-O, my friend. You can even challenge them. I'd say it's more work to do so, but there's no reason you can't in a C4. Dollar for dollar, the C5Z is damn near the best starting platform on the planet. But that doesn't mean you can't get a C4 there with some effort.

They do have us beat on reliability, hands down. And the aftermarket for the C4 (true race parts) isn't really there anymore. But most of the stuff on a race car is custom, anyway, so it's not the end of the world. Just be aware that nobody's developing new parts for us, we have to make them ourselves.
Jon,
I agree with your perspective on challenging, AND that it is a lot of work and commitment.

Reliability may not be an issue if you don't have OptiSpark!

Aero body parts are especially hard to find.

Ed
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 AM
TJM
Drifting

Well ....... "I" won't challenge them [ testicular diameter issues ] Kevin might. He is nuts.

I didn't even consider C5. Entry level cost too high for our budget.

I guess you could be right about the after market, but the only thing that held us up was our friends at Bilstein... now that was painful ... four months for shocks?

Fuel cells are gone .... but that means I have to mach a Subaru cell fit? Not the end of the world. And that's year off at least.

Other stuff? no problem so far and about done.

Now borrowing C5 stuff is OK, brakes and such.

But I like C4. Smash it, bend the frame?....., no big deal. We have a C4 Part Out fellow down the road. Frames are just about a give away [ money is in the suspensions ].

It will be fun, and with a machinist, and a full shop, parts get easy to make [ break ] & remake!!

That's fun too! [ well? ... if they don't break minute ONE at the track?].

TJM
Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rob31
:

?#271 ?
sorry ...noob

It's the most beautiful car you've ever seen...if I could post a pic I would, but CF won't let us upload.

I think there's one in my profile.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

It's the most beautiful car you've ever seen...if I could post a pic I would, but CF won't let us upload.

I think there's one in my profile.
Here you go...

Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Here you go...
Sigh...she was younger then, full of potential. She's had a facelift since, with some sweet new stickers. Where did you get that one? I think it's my "mylaps.com" avatar.

Thanks for posting
Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,774 Likes on 949 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Sigh...she was younger then, full of potential. She's had a facelift since, with some sweet new stickers.
If you could go back in time and give her advice what would it be?
Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Sigh...she was younger then, full of potential. She's had a facelift since, with some sweet new stickers. Where did you get that one? I think it's my "mylaps.com" avatar.

Thanks for posting
I just clicked on your "My Corvette Photos" link...there it was.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Corvette Z51

1990 Corvette Z51, SCCA BSP, NASA, Speed Ventures. L98, ZF 6sp, Koni single adjustable shocks, Adj sway bar, race configured alignment, running Kumho V710 in competition and Kumho XS on the street. we have 5 races left this season. We run January through December in So Cal.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On race parts for C4's never forget to look at Gulstrand Engineering. They have loads of parts still available for a number of applications. They aren't cheap by any strech, but they have the parts and knowledge.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
On race parts for C4's never forget to look at Gulstrand Engineering. They have loads of parts still available for a number of applications. They aren't cheap by any strech, but they have the parts and knowledge.
That's where I got most of mine
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
I just clicked on your "My Corvette Photos" link...there it was.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I should update those. You have to understand that I'm not very bright.

Rippe also has some old parts lying around. And Melrose T-tops for lexan parts, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Who is competing in a C4 (84-96) in Autocross, W2W, TT, and Open Road ?

Old 07-02-2010, 10:41 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kubs
If you could go back in time and give her advice what would it be?
Stay away from the race track...and that tall, good looking, brilliant guy...

Are we still on topic?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 AM
spl642
Advanced

1990 ZR1 / Auto-X/ SSCA SSM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_ev9870l0
Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim/Cyclonite, TT with EMRA, ST-2. Used to be a 91-6spd but it was my driver/trip car too so I came across a 92 (LT1, 6sp) for cheap and am getting it ready to hit the tracks. Should be going to NJMP the end of July. Will be my first time on race tires

Quick Reply: Who is competing in a C4 (84-96) in Autocross, W2W, TT, and Open Road ?