Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had better weekends!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I know all this, I teach it everyday. Simple fact is location, car angle and location relative to the camera, distance, all that conspires for us NOT to be able to tell where he was looking. What I meant by angle is that if the car was more off angle MAYBE we would have been able to see his head turned, maybe we would get a tiny referance of where he was looking. You still cannot see his eyes. Therefore it is only speculation he is looking in the wrong place. What we can see is his hands were behind the power curve in terms of correcting what happened. When we are already Sunday armchair QB'ing, we shouldn't really add things we cannot even SEE to the evaluation. Keep it simple, work on the gross errors before moving on, the gross error in this was correction. That's the last I will input on the subject, no reason to beat it to death and no reason to debate about what is read in a book. I much rather practice it real world.

I am still continually amazed at how tough these cars are. John, I assume for the rest of the time on track the car was acting fine?? Damn I love these things!!!!
If his hands, as you claim, "were behind the power curve in terms of correcting what happened," then his eyes were behind. The car's behavior is a reflection of his vision, which controls his hands.

Vision is the single most important driver attribute.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs

Off topic but what size tire are you running?
295 18 R6's on all four wheels

hang that bumper in your garage when you fix the car...
There may be a splitter bolted to the bottom of that bumper the next tiime you see it....

Without a shield on the helmet, did any debris hit you in the face?
Nope. Dirt fell all around me but nothing entered the helmet. I was wearing glasses which may have helped.

John, I assume for the rest of the time on track the car was acting fine??
Yes. I expected there to be some issue. I've driven "bent" cars before and expect to have a tracking issue or at at least a vibration but nothing showed up. Did all four sessions on Sunday including one where it rained for the first few minutes. She managed controlled slides in the wet as well.

John

Last edited by JohnD60; 06-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Glad you're ok man. I've had trouble on the turn also!
Bill
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Glad to see your OK!!!

I have told myself many times when i see a faster car coming up behind me to just drive within my comfort zone....it is soooooooooo easy to push yourself outside the cars limits if you get pressured my another car in the rearview mirror..Its hard to control but after a few scary (thank god not like this) spins I have learned to keep it in check..

Again thank God your fine!

Last edited by trapp; 06-19-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
If his hands, as you claim, "were behind the power curve in terms of correcting what happened," then his eyes were behind. The car's behavior is a reflection of his vision, which controls his hands.

Vision is the single most important driver attribute.
Of course it is, kinda hard to drive without vision, but if you think vision controls the hands all the time, well, there really is no use in debating especially in this thread. You are right. I know next to nothing and my claims are just totally off mark when compared to your book knowledge. I need your number so I can call you to win some races for me.....

John, again, glad you and the car are OK and that you jumped right back on track. You've already made the step to the next level with your ability to move beyond what happened!!

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 06-19-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=sleeper02Z06;1574441696]Of course it is, kinda hard to drive without vision, but if you think vision controls the hands all the time, well, there really is no use in debating especially in this thread. You are right. I know next to nothing and my claims are just totally off mark when compared to your book knowledge. I need your number so I can call you to win some races for me.....

You can turn down the bravado, curtail the hyperbole, and temper the accusations. We disagree about the cause of the driver's accident; reasoning ad hominem serves no purpose.

The driver notes that, as he entered the left-hand turn, he was somewhat preoccupied with the car behind him. In other words, he wasn't looking far enough ahead as he managed his car's path through the corner. Moreover, I agree with your assessments of the driver's throttle application--even though you can't see the driver's feet. The car's behavior serves correctly as the basis of your assessment. Ironically, however, you contend that one has to see the driver's eyes to make a suitable evaluation of where he is looking. The rationale that you're employing is simply not consistent.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 AM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Just to complete the thread I heard back from my shop on Friday. They said the car is fine, did not find any major damage.....amazing!

John
Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is truly amazing! I would have thought for sure that landing from going airborne would have tore it up. Glad to hear you and the car are ok. Thanks for posting this. Stuff happens.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM
johninar
Drifting

That is just great news. These cars are simply amazing!!!
I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday and will NOT repeat your achievement.
Thank you again for your posts, helps to read and see these events and hopefully learn from them.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
MRZ5
Racer

Default simply amazing

John, glad you are ok. I know how scary things can get when these things happen. I will see you at TWS. and again I am happy you are OK!!!!!!!!!!! Mikey
Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Overall, it's clearly a combination of several things- curbing, throttle, off-camber corner- all of which lead to the off. Had the corner been a left hander instead of right, you would have been fine. The corner is called the bitch for a reason!

Watching the video, I find that I probably would have done the exact same things as the OP. As much as we like to second-guess his driving, I really don't think I would have done any better. In that specific corner- once the car is loose, you're in trouble...

Quick Reply: I've had better weekends!