Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked my new DB4000s

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pad "smearing" is a symptom of overheating your pad beyond its intended temp range.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I cracked some Stoptech rotors, one piece, nearly all the way to the stud holes a few years ago on a pretty crazy Subaru FXT I had. They wanted the rotors to inspect and paid for overnight shipping and a new set to me, that is customer service! Luckily it was the 4th of 5 sessions and I was getting tired, hot day, etc....so no real lost track time.

I have 4000s on the Vette (Z06 calipers, XP8/10 pads, ducts, DRM pistons, etc....)but want to go to 5000s or another brand when the budget allows, looking at them all, all the time waiting for a killer deal to pop up and not miss it

Rick
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy some race pads!!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Charley

Did you ever get your problem solved ?

DH
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,768 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by bearnest
Buy some race pads!!!!
The vibration will go away after some time of street driving, but in order for it to not happen again use the appropriate pads next time.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by eager
I have the DBA 4000 on my C5 Z06 and I have the same problem after just one track day (the day before yesterday). The pad smearing is pretty obvious and the car vibrates like crazy when I brake. I installed the rotors about 1 month ago so they saw quite a bit of street driving. I will check the p/n on the box for the recall. I started getting this during the last few sessions on the track. Once the rotor gets cold it does the vibration but after a few laps, it goes away (once it really heats up). Obviously it does not get that hot on the street so the car vibrates all the time. I tried rebedding them but no use. I have HP+ on them and same setup on all four corners. Not sure what next to do, and the vibrations are driving me nuts.
Only the C6 Z rotors were recalled.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Charley

Did you ever get your problem solved ?

DH
Thanks for asking Howie.

I was surprised to see this post pulled up from the archives.

I should have written a follow up on this a while ago..... I contacted DBA about this and their customer service has been great. They sent me out a new set of rotors right away and asked that I send these back with the return label they provided. I also added a set of Quantum brake ducts that will hopefully keep this from happening so quickly. I have not had a chance to get out on the track lately...but, hopefully this set up should last for a while.

Charley
Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Thanks for asking Howie.

I was surprised to see this post pulled up from the archives.

I should have written a follow up on this a while ago..... I contacted DBA about this and their customer service has been great. They sent me out a new set of rotors right away and asked that I send these back with the return label they provided. I also added a set of Quantum brake ducts that will hopefully keep this from happening so quickly. I have not had a chance to get out on the track lately...but, hopefully this set up should last for a while.

Charley
I have a set that looks like yours after 2 track days. But the heat checking is contained to a small path that coincides with the caliper pins.

DBA sugested that it was the caliper or the hubs .... that it was impossible for it to be their rotor. But they see to have replaced yours, recalled some others and had bolts that did not clear the wheels on their 2 piece

Here is the link with pictures:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ing-rotor.html
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 09-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
ever see rotors where they have a bunch of Bluish spots on them? Well those are heat checks and it causes the hardness of the rotors to be diifferent in those spots compared to the non blued spots.
Respectfully disagree. Heat checking refers to the spider cracks seen in rotors after repeated heat cycles. Many folks panic when they see these but the rotor can still have significant life left after this starts.
Once they progress toward the outside edge of the rotor or separate to the point they catch your fingernail, you'd better have your spares ready.

Quick Reply: Cracked my new DB4000s