Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accusump questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
oldsls1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accusump questions

I have a few questions i have searched, and cant find answers for about the accusump and oil accumulators. I started a similiar thread on ls1tech trying to get quick answers. I dont know too much about motors or accumulators. So sorry if the answers are obvious, and correct me if im wrong. I was planning on using a manual valve.

1.Should i be concerned that when used for pre-oiling, the crankcase will be flooded until the motor is turned over?

2.Should i be concerned that the accusump will fill itself up first when the motor is turned over, using up oil pressure?

3.Will problems occur with the manual valve accusump at idle?

4. How effective are the sandwich adapters when used with these systems? Is a check valve needed? Does it effectively transfer oil to bearings and such?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, i figured there would be useful info here.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by oldsls1
I have a few questions i have searched, and cant find answers for about the accusump and oil accumulators. I started a similiar thread on ls1tech trying to get quick answers. I dont know too much about motors or accumulators. So sorry if the answers are obvious, and correct me if im wrong. I was planning on using a manual valve.

1.Should i be concerned that when used for pre-oiling, the crankcase will be flooded until the motor is turned over?

No. The oil that does flow into the engine will not be enough to cause any issues.

2.Should i be concerned that the accusump will fill itself up first when the motor is turned over, using up oil pressure?

The first time you start the engine after installing the accusump have an extra quart or two in the pan, than top it off after the engine has run for a bit.

3.Will problems occur with the manual valve accusump at idle?

Not at all. With the manual valve just remember to close it before you shut the car off or all the oil will drain back.

4. How effective are the sandwich adapters when used with these systems?
I use one and it works great. The oil exits the adapter and goes through the oil cooler and then the accusump is plumed into the return line. Is a check valve needed? If the accusump is plumed directly into the oil galley than no. If you route it into a loop with the oil cooler (like mine) than yes you need one to go in the return line so the accusump doesnt backflow into the cooler. It must go directly into the engine. Does it effectively transfer oil to bearings and such? Yes. It will add oil to the pressurized part of the oil system when needed. The bearings will be the first thing to get oil. This is the primary function of the accumulator.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, i figured there would be useful info here.

Thanks
Hope that was helpful!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
oldsls1
8th Gear

very helpful. Thanks for the quick response!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I agree with above, accusumps are all good in my book. The valves are designed to feed the engine quickly yet refill the sump slowly as not to "use up oil pressure"

I prefer a direct line into the engine. I'm not sure the currently available sandwich adapters, but there isn't a lot of room at the oil-filter mount, so I like to give the accusump it's own port.

see this for more info........ http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/accusump.pdf
Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I put mine directly into the port shown in David's PDF also. Works great and no worries about the oil cooler lines. Rather than a manual valve I went with the electronic EPC and really like it. I can turn it off with a switch when I want (the only thing that needs to be plumbed into the cockpit), it pre-lubes by just turning the key to accessory and waiting until it discharges (you can hear it) and its pretty much out of mind, I don't need to think about shutting a valve on and off (assuming I just leave the switch on). It does cost more though.

If you mount it in the left front fender (most common place) you will want to include lines and fittings to extend the air shrader valve and the air pressure guage into the engine compartment.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
oldsls1
8th Gear

Thanks guys im going to look into the port. Can the first fill of the accusump be done without turning over the motor? My car has sat all winter so i could really use the pre-lube on my first start-up.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Thanks guys im going to look into the port. Can the first fill of the accusump be done without turning over the motor? My car has sat all winter so i could really use the pre-lube on my first start-up.
You could take the accusump apart and fill it with some oil before installing it. Then you could have the prelube. Otherwise just add some extra to the crankcase after it is installed.

Also, what engine do you have? The LSX in the C5/6 and the LT1s in the C4 have a port to go directly to without the use of a sandwich adapter like David mentioned, but on my L98 block there was no such thing which is why mine is in line with the oil cooler.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will probably end up make a mess but it could be done. With no air pressure on the dry side of the piston you could probably push the piston down with something. You could then put as much oil in it as possible connect the fittings and valve. Once it is completely installed with the valve off, pressurize the air side to 100 pounds. This will allow it to pre-lube the engine as soon as you turn the valve on and not allow any oil to return to the accusump once you start the engine. Shut the engine down and follow the procedures for setting the initial air charge of 7-12 pounds.

I would skip the pre-fill, pull the fuel pump relay, disconnect the coil packs and crank the engine until you see pressure on the gauge. Yes the engine could be turning without oil pressure but there is minimal force/pressure on the bearings.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM
oldsls1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
You will probably end up make a mess but it could be done. With no air pressure on the dry side of the piston you could probably push the piston down with something. You could then put as much oil in it as possible connect the fittings and valve. Once it is completely installed with the valve off, pressurize the air side to 100 pounds. This will allow it to pre-lube the engine as soon as you turn the valve on and not allow any oil to return to the accusump once you start the engine. Shut the engine down and follow the procedures for setting the initial air charge of 7-12 pounds.

I would skip the pre-fill, pull the fuel pump relay, disconnect the coil packs and crank the engine until you see pressure on the gauge. Yes the engine could be turning without oil pressure but there is minimal force/pressure on the bearings.

How long does it usually take to build up pressure this way? I tried to do this. Pulled the fuel relay and packs. The gauge just sat at 0 oil pressure. The car is an 85 oldsmobile with an ls1 swapped in. I talked to who put the car together. Told him i was trying to build oil pressure before starting the car. He didnt think it would work with this car. I cant exactly remember why though. I think it had to do with the oil pump put on the car. could be wrong though.

Last edited by oldsls1; 05-28-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
The valves are designed to feed the engine quickly, yet
refill the sump slowly as not to "use up oil pressure"
The OP mentions a manual valve - this is a plain ball valve
that does not function in the same slow-fill manner as the
standard electrically-operated solenoid valve.

The discharge and fill rates of a ball valve are more or less
equivalent. When an accumulator such as the Accusump is
fitted with a ball valve and in a discharged state, oil pressure
in the galleries will be lower than it would otherwise be because
volume produced by the pump will flow in the path of least
resistance until the accumulator fills sufficiently, then pressure
will begin to rise.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How long does it usually take to build up pressure this way?
The gauge just sat at 0 oil pressure.
On a system without an accumulator, the time required for
oil pressure to develop should be a matter of seconds.

For a new engine, if the oil filter has not been prefilled and if
the oil pump was not prelubed internally with petroleum jelly,
it can take longer for pressure to build. The pump does not
self-prime as quickly and the oil filter needs to fill, along with
the galleries and lifters.

Adding an 3 qt accumulator to the system, along with the
accompanying -10 or -12 hose would seem to be similar to
adding 5 to 6 empty oil filters, with a commensurate increase
in the amount of time before pressure began to build.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 AM
oldsls1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
On a system without an accumulator, the time required for
oil pressure to develop should be a matter of seconds.

For a new engine, if the oil filter has not been prefilled and if
the oil pump was not prelubed internally with petroleum jelly,
it can take longer for pressure to build. The pump does not
self-prime as quickly and the oil filter needs to fill, along with
the galleries and lifters.

Adding an 3 qt accumulator to the system, along with the
accompanying -10 or -12 hose would seem to be similar to
adding 5 to 6 empty oil filters, with a commensurate increase
in the amount of time before pressure began to build.

Slalom4me-
How do you feel about accusumps for the cause of pre-oiling? Do you feel the time it would take to build up pressure would cancel the benefits?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:05 AM
oldsls1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
The OP mentions a manual valve - this is a plain ball valve
that does not function in the same slow-fill manner as the
standard electrically-operated solenoid valve.

The discharge and fill rates of a ball valve are more or less
equivalent. When an accumulator such as the Accusump is
fitted with a ball valve and in a discharged state, oil pressure
in the galleries will be lower than it would otherwise be because
volume produced by the pump will flow in the path of least
resistance until the accumulator fills sufficiently, then pressure
will begin to rise.

I dont understand. Going back to one of my original questions but with the electric valve. Wouldnt the slower refill rate cause problems with overfilling the crank case once turned over? Wouldnt this cause problems with aeration? When used for pre-lubing
Old 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
oldsls1
8th Gear

Anyone who can explain?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I agree with above, accusumps are all good in my book. The valves are designed to feed the engine quickly yet refill the sump slowly as not to "use up oil pressure"

I prefer a direct line into the engine. I'm not sure the currently available sandwich adapters, but there isn't a lot of room at the oil-filter mount, so I like to give the accusump it's own port.

see this for more info........ http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/accusump.pdf
I will also be installing my accusump in the coming weeks. I have an LS7 block. Is there a similar port on the LS7 block?

Also, do I need to drill the block in that location to get to the port (or is there a plug that can be unscrewed?)?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fallen
I will also be installing my accusump in the coming weeks. I have an LS7 block. Is there a similar port on the LS7 block?

Also, do I need to drill the block in that location to get to the port (or is there a plug that can be unscrewed?)?

Thanks.
Not sure about the gen4 motors, but the gen3 had a helpful plug that you unscrew to get access to the gallery. I'd assume the gen4 is the same.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Maynor29
Instructor

Timely question on the Accusump... I'm running a 3QT version with the EPC valve and 35-40 psi sensor on a wet sump LS2.

At the track this weekend, it doesn't seem the Accusump actually does anything for low oil pressure situations. I've got a new oil pressure gauge with a warning light set to go off below 30 psi. In high-g left hand turns (even quick ones), Oil pressure constantly dropped to 20 psi. Nothing lower I noticed but its frustrating seeing the Accusump do nothing to compensate... this can't be normal operation can it?

The Accusump pressure sensor is mounted right after the EPC valve instead of the engine like the manual recommends. I can't imagine that difference in mounting location would cause that big a fluctuation in readings... could it?

The oil pressure gauge sender is down stream from the Accsump sender mounted half way between the accusump and the engine if that makes a difference.

Pre-lube works great. Turn on the switch before starting the engine and you can hear it discharging plus oil pressure gauges shoots to about 20 psi. Air gauge drops to about 7 psi pre-charge level when its empty.

Seems like the Accusump is a pre-oiler only without any benefit for low oil pressure situations so far... contrary to the intended use... I'm having trouble believing that.

Any other experiences with the use of an Accusump on track?

John

Get notified of new replies

To accusump questions

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM
imp zog
Racer

I used a manual (electronic switch) accusump prior to my drysump install, and used it as follows:

a) pre-charged to 60psi, open valve to pre-oil motor.
b) close valve and start motor.
c) wait for oil pressure to build in the motor (ie: get on the track), and then re-open the valve for the session.
d) on the cooldown lap, get the revs up enough to raise the oil pressure and maximize the fill into accusump, and close the valve so the accusump will be fully charged for the next startup pre-oiling.

I considered the pressure-triggering automatic valves, but given the number of times things like that have broken on me, I decided that manual would be better (and prior to turning the motor over, if you have the key in the "on" position you will be able to see oil pressure rise for the pre-oiling). I would have preferred the manual ball **** valve over a switch, but given the limited space in the cockpit area in the 'Vette, I opted for a remote switch instead. Be sure to install a check valve as well so that you don't ever push the oil backwards thru the filter/pump.

Last edited by imp zog; 06-01-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Maynor29
Instructor

imp zog, on track, did you ever notice the Accusump discharge due to low oil pressure or was it a pre-oiler only for you?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
imp zog
Racer

Originally Posted by Maynor29
imp zog, on track, did you ever notice the Accusump discharge due to low oil pressure or was it a pre-oiler only for you?
Well, there's the question, my accusump was mounted in the trunk area so I couldn't see the pressure gauge, so since the valve was open all the time while I was on the track, the assumption is that it would feed oil in whenever the pressure changed. I've never noticed oil pressure drops with the car in the 9 years that I've been tracking it, the stock LS6 doesn't tend to suffer from oiling issues to begin with. It was more an extra safety measure as I was switching to racing slicks from the Hoosier R6's that season.

Quick Reply: accusump questions