Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long beach race??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Off topic but did anyone else notice that a C5 was running in the World Challenge Race at Long Beach.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LMPC cars are running nearly stock LS1 engines.... restricted to about 430 hp. In Europe they seem to be much faster...[less weight and restricters] ?? They are supposed to be a prototype training series, but they generate no interest here [NA] except for people that think they "look cool". However without them you would have a less than 20 car field at huge tracks like Sebring and Road America, ALMS and TV could not have that. The solution is to add "real " GT3 cars like in the rest of the World but ALMS thinks they are too expensive and way too fast. It will be very interesting to see how the GT2 cars compare to the new FIA Championship GT1 cars.
For those that don't know the GT1 and GT3 Corvettes still run an LS7. There are 3 GT1 Corvettes entered at LeMans, GT3 cars are not allowed by rule.
IMO, the FIA GT3 cars are the most interesting GT cars out there and hopefully will come to the USA soon.

FIA GT3 Corvette built by Callaway Competition in Germany.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the coverage does not bother me, i just want the vette team to get their act together and win races
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by FORGED DST
LMPC cars are running nearly stock LS1 engines.... restricted to about 430 hp. In Europe they seem to be much faster...[less weight and restricters] ?? They are supposed to be a prototype training series, but they generate no interest here [NA] except for people that think they "look cool". However without them you would have a less than 20 car field at huge tracks like Sebring and Road America, ALMS and TV could not have that. The solution is to add "real " GT3 cars like in the rest of the World but ALMS thinks they are too expensive and way too fast. It will be very interesting to see how the GT2 cars compare to the new FIA Championship GT1 cars.
For those that don't know the GT1 and GT3 Corvettes still run an LS7. There are 3 GT1 Corvettes entered at LeMans, GT3 cars are not allowed by rule.
IMO, the FIA GT3 cars are the most interesting GT cars out there and hopefully will come to the USA soon.

FIA GT3 Corvette built by Callaway Competition in Germany.

How do these GT3 cars compaire to the 2009 GT1 C6R?

Isnt the GT3 slower than GT2 or GT1? Isnt this why ALMS decided the Vetted needed to slow down and go to the GT2 field?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 AM
sinatra vette
Instructor

why does no one race these gt3 vettes in the american gt3 series against all those poorsches??
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LMPC cars are running nearly stock LS1 engines.... restricted to about 430 hp. In Europe they seem to be much faster...[less weight and restricters] ?? They are supposed to be a prototype training series, but they generate no interest here [NA] except for people that think they "look cool".
The LMPC is based on the LS3 and not the LS1; there is talk of adding a cam to it, as the car makes less hp in current spec than the GT2 field, and as a result is struggling to overtake anywhere but in the braking zones.

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
How do these GT3 cars compaire to the 2009 GT1 C6R?

Isnt the GT3 slower than GT2 or GT1? Isnt this why ALMS decided the Vetted needed to slow down and go to the GT2 field?
Yes, GT3 is generally a lesser specification than GT2. Almost every pro racing series publicly posts its' rule set, I recommend searching them out and reading

Let us be very clear; ALMS did not decide the factory Corvettes needed to slow down and go into GT2. The factory made the call after wasting millions racing itself over several full ALMS seasons in GT1 to make the move to GT2. In addition, GM had intended to build a LMP1 coupe, but abandoned the project and went into GT2 instead (effectively screwing the LGM GT2 program)
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhester
The LMPC is based on the LS3 and not the LS1; there is talk of adding a cam to it, as the car makes less hp in current spec than the GT2 field, and as a result is struggling to overtake anywhere but in the braking zones.
These days, with all the restrictions, pretty much all overtaking is down to the braking zones. I dont remember the last time two same class cars "drag raced" to a corner and one got there first without the other one being a back marker or having some sort of problem. Almost impossible.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkness
These days, with all the restrictions, pretty much all overtaking is down to the braking zones. I dont remember the last time two same class cars "drag raced" to a corner and one got there first without the other one being a back marker or having some sort of problem. Almost impossible.
How about a drag race to the finish???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeyvQcciTQ

If a car were to win the drag race twice in a row, the loser would be crying to everyone. The loser's car forum would be full of people bitching about the rules and how underpowered the cars are due to something in the rules. This is racing today

Randy
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sinatra vette
why does no one race these gt3 vettes in the american gt3 series against all those poorsches??
The GT3 Z06R Vettes, Audi R8 LMs , Astons, Ferraris, Nissan, etc would be way, way , faster than the current Porsches running in ALMS. They are not built to the same specs...they have more power, bigger wheels and tires etc. The opinion is they would be at least as fast as the ALMS GT2 cars. That is a problem [ a good one for fans] for the performance balancing in ALMS. For example last year at the 24HRs of Spa [ Europes' second most important GT race] the Audi R8 GT3 LMS was only slightly slower than the GT1 Corvette C6R and Maserati MC12 and came in 2nd overall to a Corvette GT1 C6R and ahead of 11 other GT1 cars. Cars in this FIA GT3 category are very quick and would be a serious threat to the GT2 cars in the ALMS. That is why I hope they come here soon, as well as the World GT1 Series with the 6 Corvette C6R's and Matech Ford GT's , the Nissan GTR's , and Aston DB9R's.

I know this can be confusing to the casual fan if you don't know about the other series. But all the info is on the corvettemotorsport.com website and the world GT1 and GT3 websites. The best is yet to come if they don't let the NASCAR mentality screw it up.

And yes the LMPC cars use a stock as rock LS3 [not LS1] engine to keep costs down........my bad.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
How about a drag race to the finish???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeyvQcciTQ

If a car were to win the drag race twice in a row, the loser would be crying to everyone. The loser's car forum would be full of people bitching about the rules and how underpowered the cars are due to something in the rules. This is racing today

Randy
can you say....porsche?

whiney bitches, just like the little girly driver

Odd thing is...i saw the c6r pass the risi ferrari on the sebring straight this year 2 times in the first 10-15 laps....then all of a sudden, they got slower

EDIT = WOW! i just watched the vid....were they severy penalized for that?!!? this is why i couldnt race....Id be walkin over to their pits beating the **** out of all of them

Last edited by VGLNTE1; 04-21-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM
tcrcuda5
Instructor

lol
Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

can you say....porsche?

whiney bitches, just like the little girly driver

Odd thing is...i saw the c6r pass the risi ferrari on the sebring straight this year 2 times in the first 10-15 laps....then all of a sudden, they got slower

EDIT = WOW! i just watched the vid....were they severy penalized for that?!!? this is why i couldnt race....Id be walkin over to their pits beating the **** out of all of them
I have heard some bitching from the vette camp also.

From my understanding there was no penalty given to either driver over that race to the finish line.

One of the worst jobs in American racing would be the guy in charge of slowing down some and making others faster. You can't make everyone happy and you sure don't want to push someone into a different series either. So they do what they think is fair and follow the rules to the best of their abilities. But even then you have some issues........

Randy
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I have heard some bitching from the vette camp also.

From my understanding there was no penalty given to either driver over that race to the finish line.

One of the worst jobs in American racing would be the guy in charge of slowing down some and making others faster. You can't make everyone happy and you sure don't want to push someone into a different series either. So they do what they think is fair and follow the rules to the best of their abilities. But even then you have some issues........

Randy

that sucks...should just say you can have X hp and X weight....rest is up to you

and I miss the GT1 C6R
Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 AM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

that sucks...should just say you can have X hp and X weight....rest is up to you

and I miss the GT1 C6R
All of the GT1 C6R's are in the FIA GT1 World Championship series. You will see 3 of them at LeMans too. They won the opening round qualifying race at Abu Dhabi last week, and were 2nd and 3rd in the main event [behind the winning Matech Ford GT.... 4 C6R's were entered. The cars only made it back to Europe yesterday ...they were stranded by the volcanic eruption which disrupted air traffic. At least 4 C6R's are currently entered in the next race at Silverstone in England May 1-2.
BTW, this series is live on worldwide TV...I watched it on a Eurovision feed. The main race at night was awesome...the track is like Disney World...........big bucks invested there !!

Ex-PM C6R's 2&3 overall in opening round of World GT1 champion ship. Notice there are no prototyes on all GT1 cars including new Nissan GTR's and Ford GT's, Aston DB9R's and the Former Champion Maserati MC12's. Better than any field of GT1 cars we have ever seen in the USA.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, this series is live on worldwide TV...I watched it on a Eurovision feed.

Where do I get this eurovisoin feed you speak of? Love to see these races.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sinatra vette
what american gt3 series? there is none. the gt3 porsches is a thing unto itself.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Darkness
These days, with all the restrictions, pretty much all overtaking is down to the braking zones.
he was talking about overtaking out of class cars, LMPC vs GT2 in this case.

Get notified of new replies

To Long beach race??

Old 04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

and I miss the GT1 C6R
There isn't too many classes like that anymore NASA does a pretty good job with their Horsepower to weight thing. SCCA DSR and CSR are pretty much open besides X, Y and Z.

Big dollar racing has became big lawyer racing........ The F1 boys show up with a team of lawyers

Randy
Old 04-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

....text snipped....
What's up with the gap in the hood?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve J06

Where do I get this eurovisoin feed you speak of? Love to see these races.

Quick Reply: Long beach race??