Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Merged] I'm deeply saddened to announce the passing of a dearest friend to us all...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also had never met him personally but his posts were always the one's with the right information and told it like it is........

R.I.P. Frank. You will be missed.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank will live on in our memories.

RIP Mr. Gonzales, we are better for having met you.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
svcjmo
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I competed with Frank for years in SCCA Autox. Always had a kind word for everyone. See Ya Frank
Jerry
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Frank, were all sorry to see you go. What you have left behind with all of us who knew you, was something all of us will stive to approach.
Go in peace friend
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you didn't know Frank, you certain knew when he was on the course...always getting the most out of whatever he did!

Here's Frank at his last SCCA Nationals Autox championship:

I remember the first time I saw him running his car in a Philly autox at the old race track. Tail of his Z06 all over the place using his right foot to steer! I asked someone, "Who's that?" and he told me, "Oh...that's just Frank."

We'll all miss you Frank.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

I learned quite a bit when Frank was my instructor at the NJMP last year. He also gave me a ride in that yellow monster which is an non-forgetable experience in its own. It is saddening to hear of this. Condolences to his family.
Norm
Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know where to start... I have not known many people in my life that come close to being the friend that Frank has been to me over the years I have known him. He and I met each other in Philly, competing in SCCA autocross, he driving his Pontiac Fiero and me driving my SS RX7. When I decided I needed to step up to a 2001 Z06 in 2001, Frank took the opportunity to ask me if I might consider a co-driver for the following season. I knew his mastery of car control with that damn Fiero, that would snap on you fast as hell if you weren't completely on top of it. I didn't hesitate to join up with Frank with my silver Z06 for the next season and that was the start of our great friendship.

From that start, Frank and I worked each other over, time after time on the autocross course, locally in the Philly region, at the PA State level, regionally in the NE, nationally all over the eastern half of the US and every National SCCA Solo Championships for many years running. We must have traveled 75-100k miles together since 2001. I know many of you guys thought we were joined at the hip, as we were always a team in our travels. As we criss-crossed the country in our tow rig over the years, I learned more from Frank than I could ever describe. I used to wonder how one guy ever got so much knowledge into one head. No matter what the subject, Frank seemed to be an encyclopedia of information, I guess that Villanova Mechanical Engineering degree paid off.

Competitive? You might say that. We traded autocross wins back and forth for years, seemingly always within a tenth or two of each other's times. However, in the last couple of seasons we autocrossed, I think the tally was swinging decidedly in Frank's favor. It might have had something to do with his astonishing ability to feel the absolute edge of the friction circle and dance the car through a course with the best of them. About the only way I was able to better him in the end was if he went just a little too far over the edge of sanity for the last millisecond and sometimes a little too far. But those times were few.

As many of you know, Frank and I have owned trucks and cars and trailers together over our history. When I was going through a rough patch and needed a hand, Frank was always there for me. I told him I needed out of my yellow 02 Z06 in 2004 and he said not a problem, I'll buy it and you and I can co-drive it as if it's still yours. When Frank bought his beloved '06 yellow Z06, it was as if it was mine too whenever we were at the autocross or the track.

When Frank and I decided to give up autocrossing for the track, the fun quotient ramped up considerably. What we learned in autocross, paid dividends on the track. I don't think I ever had so much fun as when Frank and I would go out for a session and dice it up for 10 or 15 laps, nose to tail. One of us would back off and the other would execute a pass, just to do it all over again. Again, ultimately Frank proved to be the master of car control and I tried to keep up.

I will miss Frank more than I can ever describe. He and I talked every week. When I needed a hand with anything he was always there for me. He has been a guiding hand for me. He sometimes gave me a hard time about one thing or another, but I always knew I could count on him to shoot straight with me and tell me what he really thought. I'm going to miss that from him.

It's only been part of a day since we lost him, but I have a huge hole in me that I don't ever see fully healing.

He is truly missed and was my ultimate track buddy. I don't think I'll ever turn a lap without thinking about his friendship and good natured ribbing.

God speed, Frank....

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 03-02-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Novat_99
Drifting

A great loss to the Corvette community. Condolences to his family and the extended Corvette Club of Delaware Valley.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Frank was a great friend and kind competitor.. Flying around NJMP with him in corvettes and laughing about it afterwards was always so much fun... He was always there with kind words and encouragement for AJ and I will never forget his smile and laugh.. Rest in peace francesco... we will all miss you..

Joe

Last edited by jfaphoenix32; 03-01-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Wow, very sad day.

God speed Frank.

Last edited by Mike69@ECS; 03-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Steve Landstra,
This is just unbelievable. Your story above is well written and I saw that great friendship you two had. My friendship with Frank was a good one, but nothing like you two guys had. I shed a few tears this morning when I got the sad news.

Frank really was a wonderful guy..

"Frank taught me everything I know about driving my Corvette on the race track, I just wish he would have taught me everything HE knew"

See you around Steve. VIR just won't be the same this year.....

<====== RIP Frank... You are with some wonderful company now

Frank, Thanks for everything you did for me and with me,
Glenn
Old 03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Shock is surely the word of the day. Frank invited me out to NJMP last spring and the laps I did with him in the passenger seat were while at first nerve-wracking quickly became some of the most productive I've turned yet. He then did me the favor of taking my fiance for a few laps around Thunderbolt and put this grin on her face.

Frank's passing is a loss in so many ways I won't even attempt to list them. My thoughts and heart, and those of my family, go out to his family and friends, you are in our thoughts.

Those of us from CCDV promise to do you proud at VIR Frank.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Steve I met you last year.

You and Frank were not having fun on lightning so you came over to thunderbolt where I was and asked to come on the track. I said to Frank it was a bit boring that day but things were looking up now that you were coming over.

That day I asked Frank for some advice through the octopus and he not only took me to the map to show me where to be but he also waited for me on the grid so I could follow him around. I am glad my last memories of Frank is following him for 20 mins around the track doing what he did best - making all of us better drivers.

Bob
Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met Frank a few times at the track he was always very helpful and a really nice guy he will be missed.
R.I.P
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Old 03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, very shocking news to Rhonda and I. Frank was such a wonderful fixture at every track event he went to, he will be sorely missed by those that had the good fortune to call him a friend. Steve, if you need anything, don't hesitate to get in touch, I know you two were very close.

I met Frank face to face only 4 short years ago, at my first National race, Summit Point 2006. As usual, he was a fixture with the Phoenix guys. I was a nervous rookie and i clearly remember Frank and Bob Kahn coming into my paddock and pulling me to the side, giving me some calming speechs and telling me to trust in what had gotten me there. Frank then continued to talk to Rhonda as others went on thier way, helping keep her head on too. Ever since then, Frank and I didn't get to see much of each other except at track events, but when I did get to see him it was like talking to a very longtime bud. He was just that sincere. After my Pocono 2008 accident, I barely was out of the ambulance and Frank was by my side, assuring me it was not my fault and reminding me that cars can and will be fixed, the fact that I was fine was the most important thing. He spent hours with Rhonda helping her deal with what had just happened. Frank and many other friends are why we made it through that trying time ( for us at least ).

Some of my most found memories of Frank will always be chasing each other around VIR during instructor sessions, pushing each others talent and fun levels and smiling more than anyone should be allowed to. The pictures of us on track together I will cherish even more now. I'll miss joking with him about anything, and have to admit he was always correct about how good Hoosier tires are!

Frank my friend, god speed, watch over us, and enjoy the show from the best seat in the house, you deserve it. I'll see you again when the time is right.

Joe Gaudette

Get notified of new replies

To [Merged] I'm deeply saddened to announce the passing of a dearest friend to us all...

Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Although I never met Frank, I always enjoyed his knowledgable posts. He never failed to point a newbie in the right direction. Condolences to his family and friends.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

That Sucks.

But Frank lived his life having fun. He was running his car all over the place. Grabbing life by the *****.

I used to bust his ***** in a good natured way all the time---he could give it just as well as he took it.

Celebrate your memories with him. Smile that you knew someone that loved to live.

I lost my 12 year old son 7 months ago. My father-in-law 5 months ago, and my Dad, one month ago (that crazy dude really loved me((my Dad))---no accounting for taste)......Live, love, and laugh now ! Don't wait for tommorrow, as it may never come. Tell your family that you love them, and make good friends, and be a good friend.

Godspeed Frank.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I too was shocked to hear about Frank passing. I met Frank at the CCDV shortly after I purchased my '77 corvette. He was one of the first to come up to me with an outstretch hand.

Last time I got to talk with him was late last summer when he was at Phoenix getting tires changed. Even though I hadn't seen him in a few years, he stopped what he was doing , walked over and said " Hi Jeff, How you doing?"

Godspeed Frank

Steve, sorry about your good friend

Jeff

Quick Reply: [Merged] I'm deeply saddened to announce the passing of a dearest friend to us all...