Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old road race pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
Look what I found!

Jim

Nice find Jim. We still have those jack stands around here

Randy
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Nice find Jim. We still have those jack stands around here

Randy
Ask Doug if he remembers where it was and who won? If he is as old as I am he can't remember either???

Jim
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Last weekend my parents and I went through all their old road racing slides from the late 70s. Lots of neat stuff from Laguna, Sears Point, and Road Atlanta. I recognized Paul Newman's Datsun from reading this thread awhile back. It was neat to see pics of what the back straight at RA used to look like before 10a and 10b were added!

If we can get some of them scanned I'll eventually post them up
Old 04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Ask Doug if he remembers where it was and who won? If he is as old as I am he can't remember either???

Jim
He said that was the weekend of the big runoffs crash. Because of the sticker on the door. From my understanding nobody really won that day, but a lot of guys lost.
That maybe the last good picture of that car.

Doug was shocked to see that this AM. Then said tell Jim Thanks!!!

Randy
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

He said that was the weekend of the big runoffs crash. Because of the sticker on the door. From my understanding nobody really won that day, but a lot of guys lost.
That maybe the last good picture of that car.

Doug was shocked to see that this AM. Then said tell Jim Thanks!!!

Randy
He is welcome.

Ahh yes, the rain at turn 6, it was one hell of a wreck and only the cars a lap or two down were not destroyed. Many guys never raced or raced competatively again.

Jim
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

great old pics jimbo
Old 05-02-2011, 02:43 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jim

Did you run at Charlotte when they were still dumping trash in the north part of the infield inside the track ?

Ed
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1ED1
Jim

Did you run at Charlotte when they were still dumping trash in the north part of the infield inside the track ?

Ed
Yep! I held the GT-1 track record at 1.18++ then 1.17++ then 1.16++ then 1.14++ in a MECCA car. I love Charlotte and Rockingham. Charlotte is great fun because you can't see through NASCAR 3-4 and you don't lift coming off the back straight and it scrubs a ton of speed off. I drove a test car at Charlotte a 3-4 years ago and found out my skills are gone! I am just too old at 67! However, it is still fun to ride around and act like I am going fast.

Here are the two MECCA cars at the start before a new track record:

I had a tight butt about when this picture was taken!

Jim

Last edited by Painrace; 05-02-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

This could be Jim

I thought you would see this. I got a email saying you should look for the brown truck early next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy
Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This could be Jim

I thought you would see this. I got a email saying you should look for the brown truck early next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy
Thanks, Randy, but that is way to exciting and strenuous for me at 67!

I will be looking for the brown truck!

Jim
Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Yep! I held the GT-1 track record at 1.18++ then 1.17++ then 1.16++ then 1.14++ in a MECCA car. I love Charlotte and Rockingham. Charlotte is great fun because you can't see through NASCAR 3-4 and you don't lift coming off the back straight and it scrubs a ton of speed off. I drove a test car at Charlotte a 3-4 years ago and found out my skills are gone! I am just too old at 67! However, it is still fun to ride around and act like I am going fast.

Here are the two MECCA cars at the start before a new track record:
I remember the MECCA cars well. Being from NJ; Pocono, Summit Point and Lime Rock were the closest tracks to us, and thus, where we seemed to run the most. With MECCA based just down the road from Lime Rock, in Sharon CT, we often "encountered" the MECCA Camaro there, as well as at Summit and Pocono.

It seems to me, that MECCA was developing GM's reverse flow cooling system on that Camaro in the mid 80's. I think it's the same system that later showed up on the Corvette/Camaro LT1's.

Besides being fast, those MECCA cars were beautiful, they always looked more like show cars than race cars!

Below are a couple pics of the MECCA Camaro, from way back when. I think that Rick Bell was driving it in all of these pictures. The first picture is from the Trans-Am race at Lime Rock, around 1986. The other 2 are from an SCCA race GT-1 race at Summit, again around 86 or 87? I think the black Corvette is Charles Hammershmidt.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I remember the MECCA cars well. Being from NJ; Pocono, Summit Point and Lime Rock were the closest tracks to us, and thus, where we seemed to run the most. With MECCA based just down the road from Lime Rock, in Sharon CT, we often "encountered" the MECCA Camaro there, as well as at Summit and Pocono.

It seems to me, that MECCA was developing GM's reverse flow cooling system on that Camaro in the mid 80's. I think it's the same system that later showed up on the Corvette/Camaro LT1's.

Besides being fast, those MECCA cars were beautiful, they always looked more like show cars than race cars!

Below are a couple pics of the MECCA Camaro, from way back when. I think that Rick Bell was driving it in all of these pictures. The first picture is from the Trans-Am race at Lime Rock, around 1986. The other 2 are from an SCCA race GT-1 race at Summit, again around 86 or 87? I think the black Corvette is Charles Hammershmidt.

That is them. They were developing a 17:1 engine with gas cooled heads. Fast as hell.

Jim
Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Last edited by 63Corvette; 05-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

Hey I ran into this site:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type.../Corvette.html

And it has a LOT of pictures. From 1954 on up!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/To...ceCarSite.html
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Roebling Pictures

Hey Jim (Painrace)

I know this was you:

I wish I had waited another 20 feet to take that picture!

and this is Mike Harrison:

This is the same car you posted a picture of on this thread that must have been in the big RA crash. Who is it?

And who is this:

I may as well throw in the last Vette picture I have from that weekend. If I'm remembering well, here's Jim Durovy:

One of them should be Dr. Gerald Meier from Florence, SC but I can't remember what his car looked like. I have tried calling his old home and office number and the last hospital were he practiced but have had no success.

Locke McCormick
Chief of the Pits and the Grid @ Roebling about 1981 to 1988

Last edited by Locke; 06-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Locke
Hey Jim (Painrace)

I know this was you:

I wish I had waited another 20 feet to take that picture!

and this is Mike Harrison:

This is the same car you posted a picture of on this thread that must have been in the big RA crash. Who is it?

And who is this:

I may as well throw in the last Vette picture I have from that weekend. If I'm remembering well, here's Jim Durovy:

One of them should be Dr. Gerald Meier from Florence, SC but I can't remember what his car looked like. I have tried calling his old home and office number and the last hospital were he practiced but have had no success.

Locke McCormick
Chief of the Pits and the Grid @ Roebling about 1981 to 1988
I think #14 was Allen Sevagen from Savannah; #28 was a guy named Bob from Florida (Cheater motor but we beat him anyway!) and #10 was Larry Robbinson from Georgia (Not the Goodyear Larry Robinson). I think in 1987 Larry put dayglow orange wheels on his car and won an award at the national runoff at Road Atlanta for the ugliest car ever to run RA!

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Old road race pics

Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Jim!
When I get the 1980 National (I think these are from 1983) downloaded to Photobucket, I'll add the vettes here and one shot of the best pass I've ever seen at Roebling. It was John Finger going around the outside of Jim Fitzgerald in turn 5

Though it was never a wheel to wheel racer I was copying you guys with my first '69. Here I am autocrossing in 1993 with NCCC:

But the car did finally make to the track with new owner, Marge Lapoja. Here she is at Sebring in 2010:

Locke

Last edited by Locke; 06-10-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Locke
Thanks Jim!
When I get the 1980 National (I think these are from 1983) downloaded to Photobucket, I'll add the vettes here and one shot of the best pass I've ever seen at Roebling. It was John Finger going around the outside of Jim Fitzgerald in turn 5

Though it was never a wheel to wheel racer I was copying you guys with my first '69. Here I am autocrossing in 1993 with NCCC:

But the car did finally make to the track with new owner, Marge Lapoja. Here she is at Sebring in 2010:

Locke
I got black flagged at Roebling when I went between two GT-3 cars between turn 8 and turn 9 and they both went wide and wrecked. My lap was a track record but the stewards were raising hell with me for hitting both of them and causing the wreck. Then, they could not find a mark on my car and decided I had not hit them.

I loved racing with Finger. He could make that GT-2 Mazda fly. I was never concerned being beside John anywhere including Charlotte, Daytona and Rockingham.

How did John get around Fitzgerald???

Jim
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 AM
thetaxman
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

more ! more !!!

Quick Reply: Old road race pics