Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autocross car: 84-90 vette or Miata?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

and if you DO go for a C4 and you decide to hop it up, it would end up in SSM ( street mod ) or BSP where all the C4s go.

the L98 is a good motor with gobs of torque... and depending on the suspension setup ( Z51, base, FX3 ) would greatly dictate how it will perform.

If you fo that route, like others said... get a nice low mile one...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fej
I wouldn't call the miata the "usual" car for autocross, but there are certainly quite a variety of class options to run those cars in. From bone stock to full aero with wide sticky tires. If that is the direction you want to go it would be worth checking out the SCCA forumsor other miata related sites to determine the best years to have (1.6 vs 1.8L?) for the class you choose.

As for the C4 vette, they can be competitive with good setup, but are by no means the "overdog" car in their class (ASP, AS now I think)

Fej
SCCA Cal Club put my stock (ZR1 Rims and PROM change) in BSP. My problem besides being a poor autocross driver, is that the national champion is in my region.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
and if you DO go for a C4 and you decide to hop it up, it would end up in SSM ( street mod ) or BSP where all the C4s go.

the L98 is a good motor with gobs of torque... and depending on the suspension setup ( Z51, base, FX3 ) would greatly dictate how it will perform.

If you fo that route, like others said... get a nice low mile one...
I love my 1990 Z51 6sp. It's a kick to drive. I am sure the mita's are a lot of fun, and cheaper to run as well, but don't you love the shove in the back of all that L98 torque?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by grantar2
I love my 1990 Z51 6sp. It's a kick to drive. I am sure the mita's are a lot of fun, and cheaper to run as well, but don't you love the shove in the back of all that L98 torque?
We have some very competitive, national level prepped ( and driven ) Miatas here that are amazing to watch on course. They might not be as "fun" as the Vette ( or the 2 Supercharged Miatas we have locally ) but they are GREAT autocross machines that are cheap, reliable and have tons of support.

That's the only downside of the C4, that they aren't as popular ( meaning parts & support ) out there anymore. Maybe that will change if they prove a good car for the new B-stock class. I thought about getting a nice C4 before going with the C5Z.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Tikiman12

you sig says you already own a 98 C5 and a 87 C4

why don't you just run one of those?

You won't kill it I promise
Old 01-20-2010, 05:21 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tikiman12
O man there is alot more that goes into this then I thought. lol I might just pick up a cheap miata and run it stock at local autocross events for the fun of it. then later I might bump up and try harder events.

Becuase alot of people do autocross in the daily driver just for the fun of it right? Its not as hardcore competative as other SCCA events right? That is to say I stay with the little local events
Wrong, very hard core and the people who win love it. I was amazed at how many cars in production class were trailered. Some of the national winning C4 running have only a few thousand miles on them as they were bought just for this and not used on the street. Some are street machines but beware at least in So. Cal. this is a hard core group at all levels.

Like someone said if you just want to have fun, do whatever, if you want to win, go out on SCCA's web boards and read up, the people in my region are great, freindly and helpful. But racers are racers, there are always six groups, those who want to run and those who want to win. Those who have the hardward to win, and those who run what they got. Those who are talented enough to win and those who aren't. In SCCA autocross it's you frequenetly find thoses with the hardward, desire and talent.

Look at Steve who is on this forum, very nice guy, helped me a lot this last weekend, but hard core. The car as far as I can tell is pretty stock but he runs a lap, videos the run and himself, goes back, downloads to his computer and then analyizes what he did? They develops a strategy for the next run, sorts the car, and runs. Repeat the process. That my friend is hard core. I don't think he is alone.

He took a ride with me, (I'm a novice) gave me some advice and shaved 3 seconds off my time. At Auto Club Speedway he was turning consistent 35's which was in the top 3 times for all cars as far as i could tell. He was driving a C5. My best run in a C4 was 42.283. I know I can go faster but I also know It takes a lot of work to shave off another 3 seconds, much less 8 seconds to get down to where Steve was playing.

I agree with the advice pick the class you want to run and then look at the cars that perform. If it's modified class you will need to know what they are allowed to do, and what the top guys do. Changing the engine and tires will move you around.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:51 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I finished next to last @ nationals this year, and only pax decent in the Z so far, and I love the sport. I have yet to 'win' in the car outside of the Cruise in X autocross, and that was luck.

I don't let any of it deter me. There are tons of hardcore guys that trailer and some that drive them. I drove mine to every event except nats this year ( just in case something broke ) and I will be back again.

Agree with the above poster... if you want to get out and you know by your personality that once you start something you want to perfect it and WIN... then go and see the various classes and what people are running. Then decide out of those cars what you would enjoy owning and driving. If you just want to do local stuff, check out the region and see what is fast there, and see what you can get that will be competitive in the class, or just the overall wins ( PAX index times ) even if you're not getting the fastest time of the day ( FTD ).
We have nationally trophy winning E-stock Miata guys that win the PAX against BSP STIs, my Z06, and some other really great drivers.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My primary autox car is a '92 miata I run in CSP, but I also run my '87 C4 in BSP. If it's a small, tight course the miata is faster. The C4 w/auto is very easy to drive, and would be a good car to learn on, as they are very predictable.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Tikiman12

you sig says you already own a 98 C5 and a 87 C4

why don't you just run one of those?

You won't kill it I promise

Yeah I dont have those anymore. Sold the 87 awhle ago, should have keep it for this purpose. and I just got a C6 out of the C5. So i'm daily driver is an 05 vert now, i need to update my sig.

As for all the advise, thanks guys. I'm still confused on what to get but I know where to look and what to look for. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Quick Reply: autocross car: 84-90 vette or Miata?