Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New track car from Riley shown at PRI show

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

I took a close look at that car too, looks like a lot of fun for sure! Honestly, the price doesn't seem that out of line to me, maybe out of my budget, but not out of line for what you get.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

speed costs money,it's just a matter of how fast ,do you wanna go!!!

Johnny
Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Wren
Stohr's are the fastest cars in SCCA racing usually. Moving the runoffs to road america has let the Atlantics stretch their legs some and run slightly faster times, but previously they have been running the faster times.

What kind of lap times is this thing going to turn?

I've got to admit that I just don't see the appeal of going to the track to just drive, I am all about the competition.

They have gotten a lot faster since 08, they have reworked the front splitter to remove the terrible push they were experiencing.

I'm warming to the bike motors. Incredibly performance out of a very lightweight package and you get a new transmission every time you buy a $1,000 motor.
Oh, I agree. I thought the 1000 motors were the basic crate engines, to get a runoff engine was upwards of 5k. The worst problem with them is if you spin and you don't get the clutch engaged in time, both the motor and trans fail, that can get expensive when you add it up. I love the Stohrs...maybe one day
Old 12-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of lap times is this thing going to turn?
According to the article in Grassroots Motorsports it turned a 01:44.96 to take 1st place at VIR during the 2009 Hankook Ultimate Track Car Challenge. I can't speak to the track configuration (assuming there are options?). I don't know how this time compares to track records or various classes at VIR.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Oh, I agree. I thought the 1000 motors were the basic crate engines, to get a runoff engine was upwards of 5k. The worst problem with them is if you spin and you don't get the clutch engaged in time, both the motor and trans fail, that can get expensive when you add it up. I love the Stohrs...maybe one day
We run in FB in a car that we manufacturer in my buddy's backyard(full cnc shop and everything), so we do use the stock motors, and can usually turn a profit buying wrecked bikes and selling the bits off. The DSR guys are buying built motors, but if someone bought one for a track day car, there would not be a need.

I've never heard of damaging the motor and trans from turning them backwards. If you don't get the clutch in you will destroy the starter since it is always engaged, and we have destroyed some of those, so we have definitely run the motor backwards, but a new starter was all we needed to get going again.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
According to the article in Grassroots Motorsports it turned a 01:44.96 to take 1st place at VIR during the 2009 Hankook Ultimate Track Car Challenge. I can't speak to the track configuration (assuming there are options?). I don't know how this time compares to track records or various classes at VIR.
It's about 2 seconds faster than what a good stohr turns on the same course (they used full course for that). Not too shabby for a 400HP difference with a factory driver.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
According to the article in Grassroots Motorsports it turned a 01:44.96 to take 1st place at VIR during the 2009 Hankook Ultimate Track Car Challenge. I don't know how this time compares to track records or various classes at VIR.
1:44 is hauling the mail
Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1:44 is STOOOOPID FAST @ VIR......actually anything under 2:00 is really,really fast......1:44 makes my 1:54 look like it was ran on a tricycle.....
Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

We run in FB in a car that we manufacturer in my buddy's backyard(full cnc shop and everything), so we do use the stock motors, and can usually turn a profit buying wrecked bikes and selling the bits off. The DSR guys are buying built motors, but if someone bought one for a track day car, there would not be a need.

I've never heard of damaging the motor and trans from turning them backwards. If you don't get the clutch in you will destroy the starter since it is always engaged, and we have destroyed some of those, so we have definitely run the motor backwards, but a new starter was all we needed to get going again.
Nice. Ya I agree, leave the boutique motors for the serious competitors. Before I got into T1 this year I was looking at either S2 or DSR, and one of the local DSR guys was telling me about the spinning part...but maybe he has slow reaction times to put both feet in, dunno. All i know is i'd love to drive one!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghoffman
It has a Cronin built dry sump LS and is 2300 pounds, Penske/Hyperco coilovers. It was 5 seconds quicker than the next quicker car at VIR! Only $198K!
I also saw this at PRI. Upon close inspection, it is not overpriced at all.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Nice. Ya I agree, leave the boutique motors for the serious competitors. Before I got into T1 this year I was looking at either S2 or DSR, and one of the local DSR guys was telling me about the spinning part...but maybe he has slow reaction times to put both feet in, dunno. All i know is i'd love to drive one!
They are amazing cars. When I've talked to sedan drivers at the track, they seem to have this impression that formula cars and sports racers are somehow going almost 200 mph to turn the times they do. People who have spent all of their time in sedans don't have a concept of just how fast one of these cars is going to go through a corner. 3G's and 1000 #s is a recipe for success.

Consumables are often cheaper too. I have been amazed at what some guys spend on just brakes to drive in the faster sedan classes.

I should probably stop hijacking the thread.

Back to my original question- People actually buy $200k cars to just drive around the track?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Back to my original question- People actually buy $200k cars to just drive around the track?
I did.

I did not originally buy my car to drive on track. I bought it as an exotic, high performance car, with a cool factor. When I realized I could not approach the performance of the car on the streets I decided to try a track day courtesy of Katech. Now I am hooked, and though I don't get to go very often, I love it and plan on continuing to go whenever I can. I am always upgrading the car, with track performance optimization as the criteria. I would not do wheel to wheel with my car, but track days are perfect for my desire to improve my skills and to experience some of what the car is capable of.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Apparently enough as there are several new cars coming next year in this category. The economy isn't bad for everyone. In fact, some are thriving right now.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Racer2B
Advanced

There are no fendered cars in the SCCA that will ever run with the DSRs. They are on another level of fast compared to an DE car, and they do it while never really going faster than 140 mph. They can just run 140mph through turn 1 at Atlanta.
I think you might have misunderstood what the term means.

There are Formula cars, which are open wheel, and Sports racers (or DP style) which are closed wheeled, but feature very similar chassis and suspensions, as well as drivetrain layouts. They are normally open cockpit, but some are not closed cockpit, which is a bit safer in some respects.

There are GT cars that will be close to a DSR, but that's mostly on the longer tracks where they can make up a lot of room on the straights...although with the cornering speed and late braking abilities with the Sports Racers, its tough to beat.

There are a lot of solid Sports Racer alternatives out there now, but the prices have doubled and tripled in the last 5 or so years as the aero work has become fairly complex.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Racer2B
I think you might have misunderstood what the term means.

There are Formula cars, which are open wheel, and Sports racers (or DP style) which are closed wheeled, but feature very similar chassis and suspensions, as well as drivetrain layouts. They are normally open cockpit, but some are not closed cockpit, which is a bit safer in some respects.

There are GT cars that will be close to a DSR, but that's mostly on the longer tracks where they can make up a lot of room on the straights...although with the cornering speed and late braking abilities with the Sports Racers, its tough to beat.

There are a lot of solid Sports Racer alternatives out there now, but the prices have doubled and tripled in the last 5 or so years as the aero work has become fairly complex.
I understand the terms quite well. A sports racer would be a solid alternative to this car I would think. It's going to be just as fast with much lower buy in and running costs. Plus, you can go race it and see how good you actually are. I am all for the competition.

I still don't get paying $200k for a car that is just to tool around in. Everett explained why he does it, which I appreciate.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:29 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Keep in mind, the TDC is a full size car, that has the option for a second seat, not a scaled down single seater, like most sports racers. Plus, if someone wanted, you could tag a TDC as a kit car, and drive it to and from the track.

You can race the TDC too, that car that was on display at PRI gets raced on a regular basis.

Another market the car was designed for, is the country club race track. They can purchase a few TDC for members to drive, instead of risking their Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche/Mosler, etc. The second seat allows for ride-alongs with a pro-driver, or a thrill ride for your buddy or trophy wife/girlfriend/mistress...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 AM
manicheus
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLGunman
The second seat allows for ride-alongs with a pro-driver, or a thrill ride for your buddy or trophy wife/girlfriend/mistress...
I am guessing the lexan windows and composite body will withstand some hard blows by a golf club...just in case.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
speed costs money,it's just a matter of how fast ,do you wanna go!!!

Johnny
That's why I will never go that fast!

Quick Reply: New track car from Riley shown at PRI show