Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milodon has a road race LS oil pan now

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Milodon has a road race LS oil pan now

wet sump, trap door pan.

http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/milodons-...-pan-1936.html

Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So no more LS3 blown motors? Hmmm....didn't chevy already make a fancy RR pan that didn't help?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks cool to me. I will be looking for good wet sump pans for my 442ci LS7 this winter and this might be it.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Old 11-08-2009, 06:07 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Hmm I wonder if those of us who run the batwing can still use the OEM oil pickup screen and windage tray? Looks promising
Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Batwing vs Milodon pan?

Originally Posted by 2002rich
Hmm I wonder if those of us who run the batwing can still use the OEM oil pickup screen and windage tray? Looks promising
________________________________________ ___________________

I have only heard of the "Batwing". Is a batwing similar to this
Milodon oil pan. What is the consensus out there for those that want to prevent oil starvation with out going to a dry sump; has this design helped?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Don't waste your money on a wet sump pan for the LS3...if you plan on tracking the car with racing tires. It might help the oil pressure issue a little, but you'll still have the oil puking and extreme oil temps. There's a reason why the new Grand Sport LS3 has a dry sump on it! We (GM and the T1 racers) could not get a reasonable wet sump solution to work.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 PM
ace996
Pro

I've used a wet-sump baffled Moroso pan for my prior Elise...no pressure loss issues. For my LS6, I'd very much like a baffled pan.
Anyone have an idea of cost?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Don't waste your money on a wet sump pan for the LS3...if you plan on tracking the car with racing tires. It might help the oil pressure issue a little, but you'll still have the oil puking and extreme oil temps. There's a reason why the new Grand Sport LS3 has a dry sump on it! We (GM and the T1 racers) could not get a reasonable wet sump solution to work.
________________________________________ ___________
Thanks for your advice.
Regarding the extreme temps, I have lowered these a lot by installing a Z06 heat exchanger. However, "oil puking" --- nothing has barfed on me yet but maybe I don't know what to look for... If it is airation of the oil in the pan you are speaking of, maybe this wet sump pan might help??
Old 11-27-2009, 02:17 AM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Any more updates on this?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:53 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
However, "oil puking" --- nothing has barfed on me yet but maybe I don't know what to look for... If it is airation of the oil in the pan you are speaking of, maybe this wet sump pan might help??
The puking comes from oil staying in the pass side heads and going thru the PCV valve into the intake...normally under braking. The oil gets into the intake so your air/fuel mixture is now air/fuel/dirty oil...not good for power or reliability. What doesn't get ingested, flows down the intake to the air filter...and ruins it.

If you haven't seen this yet, you will...just drive harder. These are just some of the reasons why GM decided to scrap the Z51 option and go with the Grand Sport...stock with a dry sump!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Default Puking......

The puking comes from oil staying in the pass side heads and going thru the PCV valve into the intake...normally under braking. The oil gets into the intake so your air/fuel mixture is now air/fuel/dirty oil...not good for power or reliability. What doesn't get ingested, flows down the intake to the air filter...and ruins it.

If you haven't seen this yet, you will...just drive harder. These are just some of the reasons why GM decided to scrap the Z51 option and go with the Grand Sport...stock with a dry sump!
________________________________________ _________________
Thanks for the clarification on puking.. I'll keep my eyes open for this.. Now, you can probably tell by my next question that I'm trying to do all I can not to spend the $ on a dry sump, but would the installation of an oil catch can help here? So far I have not put one of these on my engine and have seen where these are availble??
Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Some things I've done on my ls1 to improve things are pushroods with smaller than stock oil holes. Mine are .040". I've ported and smoothed out all the oil drainage areas in my heads. Probably the most important thing I did was replace the restrictive factory lifter cups with link bar lifters. They open things up quite a bit. I will hopefully have this track tested next week if it doesn't rain.
Personally I don't think an extra quart of oil is a good thing. The corvette pans are shallow and the higher the level of oil in the pan the greater the chance of the crank slinging it up the passenger side of the motor in addition to adding air to the oil. In my opinion the crank slinging oil is why it is commonly the left hand turns that hold oil up in the head on that side. A proper crank scraper would go a long way in helping the issue.
A proper multi-stage dry sump is the ultimate, but a well done one would include some or all of the above mentioned items depending on motor.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Thanks for the clarification on puking.. I'll keep my eyes open for this.. Now, you can probably tell by my next question that I'm trying to do all I can not to spend the $ on a dry sump, but would the installation of an oil catch can help here? So far I have not put one of these on my engine and have seen where these are availble??
Yep, I submitted my request for a catch can and it was approved and worked...somewhat. I had to empty it after every single session on track...wasting about 1/2 a quart of oil each time...along with another 1/2 that the engine burned. The dry sump completely stops any puking.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

=============================
Do you think a good pan AND a Accusump would take care of the issues?

Thanks,

Ty
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
=============================
Do you think a good pan AND a Accusump would take care of the issues?

Thanks,

Ty
No... not for an LS3. Only a Dry Sump takes care of the oil issues on them. For an LS6, I've found that to be adequate in my racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Milodon has a road race LS oil pan now

Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

How about...
No.
Yeahbut...
No.
I will...