Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "new" data acq system

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:54 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Glen, do you think the S/W will work on a MacBook Pro?
Inside VMware Fusion? I'm not sure. The devices are simple USB devices and should get passed through to the Windows virtual machine you'd have to run. I can't see why it wouldn't work...
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, It works through VM Ware Fusion! It fact, it works really well!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Just a little plug for Jeff at Optimum Motorsports <jeff@optimummotorsports.com> for taking the time to respond to emails while racing at Mid Ohio this weekend. He's been awesome at responding with a tonne of information on the AiM products.

http://www.optimummotorsports.com/

Talking with him about the MXL Pista, vs MXL Pro'05, vs Evo4+MC3, vs SmartyCam... learned the SmartyCam can be used to provide GPS to an MXL -and- the SmartyCam gets access to all the MXL sensors. Or the SmartyCam can connect directly to the OBDII/CAN on the C6 and you can put that info on the video.

Also learned AiM has a Channel Expansion now that lets you add both speed and analog channels to all their offerings. But those channels are limited to 100Hz sampling so you can expand an Evo4 or Pista to Pro'05 levels.

I still have no idea which way to go, complicated largely by wanting to be able to move the unit(s) between my RX7 and the C6... predictive lap times require an MXL which needs to be mounted "properly" and would very much like the GPS add-on.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 PM
TDBurke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
When you do something like this with the EVO4+MyChron3 can you combine the data from both the EVO4 and the MyChron? Can you combine the 2 wheel speed sensors on the EVO4 with the 2 wheel speed sensors on the XG LOG? Or use the "other" 5 analog inputs as an expansion module? That would be a very cool way to get GPS plus a tonne of inputs for $1139+$949 which is barely more than an MXL Pista @ $1999 and less than a Pro @ $2499.

It's hard to tell from their website; it's clear the EVO4 can connect to the MyChron or SmartyCam, but just not clear if the datalogger gets all the inputs.
The evo4 is gathering the data, its the logger in my application, the Mychron3 is simply a slave display. No combination necessary. I have far less than $1999 invested.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Yessir. Looks like $1399 for the EVO4+MyChron3 Dash. I did get somewhat warned away from it if I was looking to make it the sole instrument in the car because it can only show 2 channels on 2 pages, so 4 channels total on the dash.

A couple of folks are really pushing the MXL Pista plus some expansion for me...
Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

You're an expensive friend to have, Mr. Hoffman. I'm about to be invoiced for an AiM Pista dash, GPS module, and extra harness. That should give me a sweet set up in the RX7 -or- the C6. This, of course, also meant for ease of installation it would be good to upgrade the ECU in the RX7 since the one in it was handset programming only and 10+ years old now. State of the art ECUs now include boost control, traction control, anti-lag for the turbo, and more tuning tricks than you would imagine (auto-tuning based on UEGO, EGT, etc!)...
Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Me? I did not make $.05 on this, so it is not my fault! It will save you money by getting the correct setup.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I just thought of something, monitoring the wheel speed encoders will give you indication if the wheel bearings are going bad. It should show an erratic speed when it is on it's way out.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:00 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Not as super-duper as Gary's, but the guys did a great job on the install... should move pretty easily between my two cars. It obscures the DIC but seems more than a reasonable replacement for it. We'll see how it works out at Thunderhill on Friday. It did well with the calculated gears and GPS based speed on the drive home. One thing I did notice is that the OBDII/CAN connection doesn't provide oil temperature, but a simple analog sender should take care of that -- is there a good place to add one? Hopefully it looks "good enough" when out of the car and in the other one...
Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Gary,

Is the OBDII port really fast enough to communicate the amount of real time data needed for proper data acquisition?
Also some parameters are not available (FP etc.) either

I have found it much too slow for my liking but would like your opinion

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

A bunch of it is 10Hz so every 100ms. That seems good enough for a lot of things.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, but I am not using the capabilities of the MXL Pro05 in the C6Z, that is for the other car. Do you have any other pics of the mount they made for you?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

In an '06 and up, it is OK. I think the max is 10Hz, and some things like fuel used I have set for 1 Hz. It is not perfect, but it is pretty damn good. It is good enough for brake testing to see if, for example, the ABS is active during brake testing. It is certainly better to say that yes, the bias with the new AP DTM rear calipers is balanced, and here is the wheel speed encoder data and here are the histograms to prove it rather than, "hey trust me, they feel great"!

Originally Posted by wmckeenster
Gary,

Is the OBDII port really fast enough to communicate the amount of real time data needed for proper data acquisition?
Also some parameters are not available (FP etc.) either

I have found it much too slow for my liking but would like your opinion

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Do you have any other pics of the mount they made for you?
http://www.petting-zoo.net/photos/AiM/index.html
Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I cannot see much. I used Velcro.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

It's a pretty simple aluminum bracket with rubber stand offs to deal with vibrations. They mounted three little studs through the plastic steering column cover so I can just take the three nuts off and disconnect the harness from it when I want to swap it between cars.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Hey Gary, do you get any data on GMX_ACC? My min/max there is 0. I'm also trying to figure out what threshold to set for the warning lights for oil pressure and water temperature. When the car is warmed up from street driving I'm see down as low as 23.9# on oil pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To My "new" data acq system

Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

No not yet. Have you figured out how we can email each other files?
Yes, at 185F (oil temp), this was my idle oil pressure:
Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

No not yet. Have you figured out how we can email each other files?
Okay, I feel better than I'm also down around 25# at idle now.

I think anybody with Race Studio2 should be able to view them. Joe (@ tcdesignfab.com) mentioned there are three files under \Program Files\AIM\Data\*.* ... it's drk, gpk and rrk files. I think all we need to do is send those around and they're self-contained. Not sure about the dash configuration, but those should be the data files.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Another thing that is cool is the boot up message says "turn off AH" 'cause I am such a moron for for forgetting it sometimes.

Quick Reply: My "new" data acq system