Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seat recommedations.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Chad Dimarco, owner of Subi Sport. Definitely sit in a lot of different ones. I was set on a Recaro until I sat in it...then I was looking at Sparcos, until i sat in them and he learned me about the different constructions. After talking to him, i can almost guarantee you'll want a Cobra he sells a lot of different brands too and warehouses a HUGE inventory
Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke to Chad at Sube and he thinks the Cobra Suzuka GT is the seat. We'll see. You were right SIKO2SS, they must get a bigger kick back from Cobra. The Kirkey RR Deluxe seat looks good, just no where to see one in person to sit in. Besides, Chad said it doesn't meet the FIA g force requirements...

The Caravaggio sounds interesting, it makes for a good track seat huh? Anyone else using one a lot at the track??

Great information guys and the "add-on" stuff is good to know. Nothing like hearing from real world experiences

Please keep it coming, I'm not rushing into an important decision

Last edited by stano; 05-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I put in a pair of Sparco Evo seats. They are relatively cheap and work pretty well. I just leave them in all the time and use the 6 point harness when I use the car on weekends. I'm not sure it makes sense to put in a seat without a harness. They are both equally important. I still bruise my left knee for what it's worth.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Pair of 16" (I'm ~6'2"/190) Kirkey roadrace deluxe on Gary's Hardbar rails.

Like them enough to leave them in all the time now.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stano
I just spoke to Chad at Sube and he thinks the Cobra Suzuka GT is the seat. We'll see. You were right SIKO2SS, they must get a bigger kick back from Cobra. The Kirkey RR Deluxe seat looks good, just no where to see one in person to sit in. Besides, Chad said it doesn't meet the FIA g force requirements...

The Caravaggio sounds interesting, it makes for a good track seat huh? Anyone else using one a lot at the track??

Great information guys and the "add-on" stuff is good to know. Nothing like hearing from real world experiences

he's the West Coast (maybe North American) distributor for Cobra, so he's a bit biased but he's extremely knowledgeable about all the seats because he sells most of them, and whats a better way to sell a product then it's safety reassurance
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
geerookie
Drifting

I just spoke to Chad at Sube and he thinks the Cobra Suzuka GT is the seat. We'll see.

This is the seat I have and I use it for daily driving and 15 - 20 track days. I love it. Just spent 900 miles driving to and from tracks this past weekend (4 hours non-stop) and about 16 sessions on the tracks. Pocono (Saturday) and Watkins Glen (Mon. - Tues.).
Another thing to think about with seats is whether it needs a brace or not. Most SFI rated seats need a brace and FIA rated seats do not. Cobra Suzuka GT does not which is one of the reasons I bought it.
VERY comfortable but it is narrow. It will depend on how wide your hips are as to how it will feel. The Imola is about a half inch wider I believe and very similar.
Mine are mounted on Gary's mounts and basically the back/bottom of the seat is right on the floor. Huge head room even with the helmet on.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Chad Dimarco, owner of Subi Sport. Definitely sit in a lot of different ones. I was set on a Recaro until I sat in it...then I was looking at Sparcos, until i sat in them and he learned me about the different constructions. After talking to him, i can almost guarantee you'll want a Cobra he sells a lot of different brands too and warehouses a HUGE inventory
Hey support your forum vendors and those carrying the Corvette flag.

Or not

But at $595 for a seat that is exactly like we run in our GT2 Riley Corvette, or a GT2 Porsche copy for $1295, I am not sure that there is much of a choice considering that a Suzuka in fiberglass costs $795.

Our seat comes with the side Brackets and we have the Porsche GT3 runners also.

I'm just saying.

LG

$595 for what you see below:

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 05-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Hopefully not hiijacking ... but for me the thoughts are:
Either leave race seat in all the time or swap in and out for track days.
In my case, I autox as well and want the seat support there as well, so my preference would be to leave it in at least thru the season.
But I want the three-point belt use available for street and road to and from events.
And for the Driver Side I want a slider, so I can adjust from track position to street position. - so that probably means not being able to mount as low as without slider ...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Do those LG seats mount to stock seat rails, or do you need one of the aftermarket options?

Currently using sparco evo 2 which is ok, but certainly not comfortable enough to drive on the street.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Salem_Vette
Advanced

Put in a 16" and a 17" (I'm ~6'3"/190) Kirkey roadrace deluxe on home made rails 1" off the floor.
Bought them used, If were to buy new I would look at LG Motorsports they look good.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hey support your forum vendors and those carrying the Corvette flag.

Or not

But at $595 for a seat that is exactly like we run in our GT2 Riley Corvette, or a GT2 Porsche copy for $1295, I am not sure that there is much of a choice considering that a Suzuka in fiberglass costs $795.

Our seat comes with the side Brackets and we have the Porsche GT3 runners also.

I'm just saying.

LG

$595 for what you see below:

it's too bad you guys aren't in CA

iirc the Suzuka is carbon kevlar, i don't recall cobra making a fiberglass seat...but i could be wrong
Old 05-09-2009, 03:11 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Well, lots of good info here. First, there are lots of seats. The best track seats wont make good street seats because they are designed to hold you in place so well, that it is a little difficult to get in and out of, but worth it for the feel on the track. I would strongly recommend not using stock belts on the track. They arent bad, but not anything like being held in place by a good six point harness. I went with Schroth, bought them from somone on Forum, and couldnt be happier. As has already been mentioned, swapping seats is a breeze. Harness bar best bet is Hardbar. It is the best bar for the money, and they offer precut side panels so you can return your car to stock very easily if you so choose. I have a Momo sport cup never installed that I bought from a forum member that was apparently used, but you can't tell it. It is black with Yellow logo. I am in Tn so shipping may not make that reasonable, but as I said, there are many seats out there. best of luck to you. Jerry
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 AM
shifter77
Drifting

RECARO PROFI XL: , CAME OUT OUTOF C6ZO6 ( bracket sold)

$600 Ship NOT incl .
Old 05-10-2009, 11:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I was sitting in a Racetech seat yesterday and that was quite nice. But the Seat that Lou has looks great.
Price is great too.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by shifter77
RECARO PROFI XL: , CAME OUT OUTOF C6ZO6 ( bracket sold)

$600 Ship NOT incl .
Pm sent.

Last edited by stano; 05-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love my Kirkey deluxe. LG seat looks great also!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a race seat and would like to hear what works good in an '07 Z. I'm headed down to SoCal to look at a Cobra seat at Subi in Huntington Beach. Could I get away with the stock seat belts for awhile??

I'm 6'1" over 200 lbs and would leave the seat in full time.

Thanks guys
We are now taking orders for the seats below. They take about 4 weeks to make. The shell dimensions should be similar to the Sparco Roadster or Caravaggio race seat but we have made some changes. The biggest change is raising the harness holes for safety reasons. We have side mounts to mount to the o/e tracks and retain power functions but the seat will sit about an inch higher than the stock seat at its lowest position. We will have our new manual bracket/slider combination in about 2 weeks. It will be able to sit the seat lower than stock if needed plus accommodate a 4, 5 or 6 point harness. It also has mounting locations for the STOCK SEAT BELT BUCKLE so you can use the stock seat belt during daily driving. I'm slightly biased but believe we have the best daily driving - autocrossing solution out there. :-) Tremendous support improvement over stock but still not difficult to get in and out of.

Larger pictures and more information are on the page below.
http://www.arizenracingsports.com/pa...zen/CTGY/C5-C6

Get notified of new replies

To Race seat recommedations.....

Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been very pleased with the Cobra Suzuka. It is Kevlar and what i like about it is the high sides to hold your legs in (knees are protected) and the Kevlar gives enough to alow a little more comfort when the seat is snug!

I run the standard width for drivers side and it is snug on my 6'2" frame but works well. The pass side is the GT which is slight wider for those who might need it.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that seat looks familiar

lookin good!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It should! Thanks Wally, you allowed me to get a matched set.

Quick Reply: Race seat recommedations.....