Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Can those restricted pushrods be used if one also drives on the street?

Don,

The oil flow restricting Smith Brothers pushrods work fine on the street. I have had them in my Z06 for three years. I drive it here in Michigan from mid-April until late-November.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Can the valley cover pipe nipple be capped along with plastic nipple on LS6 intake & only keep the TB nipple connected to valve cover???
I wouldn't. The bottom of that valley cover contains a form of PCV valve, the only one for that engine. Driver's side has a plug, passenger's side goes to t-body. Ideally you would install 2 catch cans. One between the valley and manifold and another between the valve cover/s and t-body.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
I wouldn't. The bottom of that valley cover contains a form of PCV valve, the only one for that engine. Driver's side has a plug, passenger's side goes to t-body. Ideally you would install 2 catch cans. One between the valley and manifold and another between the valve cover/s and t-body.
10-4...thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 11:26 AM
jfrc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pumba
Fred is correct. The Smith Brothers oil restricting pushrods are worth the cost. Also, while you are ordering them, get the 5/16 x 0.120 inch wall models. They will stiffen the valve train.

does anybody know the part number? the catalog is not separated by engine makes, models, etc.... it makes it tough trying to figure out the correct ones
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jfrc
does anybody know the part number? the catalog is not separated by engine makes, models, etc.... it makes it tough trying to figure out the correct ones

I just talked to Smith Brothers and in 5/16 inch guide plate oil flow restricting pushrods, their thickest wall is 0.083 inches.

Their part number for the 5/16 x .083" oil flow restricting pushrods is 581R - followed by the length you want.

Their toll free order number is (800) 367-1533

Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
imp zog
Racer

I installed a 1 quart catch can and "T"ed the crankcase and valve cover vents hoses entering the can. I likewise "T"ed the can's outlet line into the two throttlebody inlets in order to maintain the suction, although I like Pumba's double can solution too.

These engines do *not* vent properly by just opening them to the atmosphere, they require the intake suction to properly pull the nasty gases out of the crankcase and valve covers, and the proof is in the oil you will catch in the can. My crankcase oil, after three full race weekends, is hardly readable on the dipstick because it is still so clear, but the oil that collects in the can is black as night. Running hard, I used to burn about a quart a day on the track, and now I catch that much in the can. I also no longer have oily soot splattered all over the back end of the racecar from what was coming out of the exhaust. I've joked that this is the easiest way to do an oil change, because I dump the nasty black stuff and top up with fresh oil, but it's definitely keeping my oil less tainted.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by imp zog
I installed a 1 quart catch can and "T"ed the crankcase and valve cover vents hoses entering the can. I likewise "T"ed the can's outlet line into the two throttlebody inlets in order to maintain the suction, although I like Pumba's double can solution too.

These engines do *not* vent properly by just opening them to the atmosphere, they require the intake suction to properly pull the nasty gases out of the crankcase and valve covers, and the proof is in the oil you will catch in the can. My crankcase oil, after three full race weekends, is hardly readable on the dipstick because it is still so clear, but the oil that collects in the can is black as night. Running hard, I used to burn about a quart a day on the track, and now I catch that much in the can. I also no longer have oily soot splattered all over the back end of the racecar from what was coming out of the exhaust. I've joked that this is the easiest way to do an oil change, because I dump the nasty black stuff and top up with fresh oil, but it's definitely keeping my oil less tainted.

Great post! I am pleased to read that you see the benefit of two catch cans.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can