Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:49 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Transmission Recommendations

I'm pushing 38000 miles and more than 30 HPDE days and the clutch seems to be in need of replacing. I'm not noticing any slip yet, but I've got occasional screetching in 5/6th gears coming from clutch area plus the tranny engages with the clutch almost fully out. So, I'm guessing before I get into next season that I need to have it addressed.

I've heard that aftermarket clutches may not be worth it - not ready for prime time and require shims and such. I would, however, like to beef up the drivetrain to help it wear better/longer.

Anyone have recommendations on what I could do to achieve my goal with a minimum of compromise (i.e., issues that I didn't know would occur)? New tranny? Bullet proof clutch?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

RPM Level V Transmission and an RPS Twin Friction Clutch (if money is no object - no compromise) - then the RPS Street Twin Carbon Clutch.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call RPM and talk to them about your goals regarding the transmission. I had a Level V with mechanical cooler installed when mine went out. Only have a few track miles on it. Clutch if you are not putting over 500 hp to the wheels consider an LS7 clutch and install a remote bleeder regardless of the clutch you decide. I also run an LS7 in my '02 ZO6 feels great!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lbarnard
....Install a remote bleeder regardless of the clutch you decide...
Great suggestion. I had one installed with my last clutch.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Life is Good Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RPM Level 5 has been very good for me when it comes to transmission/differential, and held up wonderfully to 25 straight hours of racing. When they opened it up, it was still in very good condition.

Exedy twin disk was great for 60+ race hours, with the last 25 being at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill '07, and still was good when we took it out.

Steve
Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

So I'll see what RPM has to say, thanks! What is the importance of a remote bleeder valve? Also, will the RPM twin disk give me the same pedal feel and operation that I'm used to with greater performance and longevity?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
lbarnard
Racer

The remote bleeder makes flushing the clutch easier.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by lbarnard
The remote bleeder makes flushing the clutch easier.
I don't mean to be dense, but why do I care if the clutch fluid is dirty?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 PM
lbarnard
Racer

When the fluid gets dark and dirty it causes problems like sticking clutch pedal or under WOT the clutch will stay on the floor. Bad things happen once the fluid gets dark. Makes flushing the entire clutch system easier. You can turkey baste it out but it does take longer. For less than $100 bucks for a remote bleeder just makes the overall process easier.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
RPM Level V Transmission and an RPS Twin Friction Clutch (if money is no object - no compromise) - then the RPS Street Twin Carbon Clutch.

The RPS street twin is a great clutch, the pricing has come down recently and it is a very streetable clutch that can handle a bunch of power. I've sampled several twins and this is by far the best!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by whosurdaddy
I don't mean to be dense, but why do I care if the clutch fluid is dirty?
Heat and slippage. Fresh clutch fluid keeps the clutch from slipping.

Castrol SRF or Motol DOT 4 brake fuild in the clutch makes A BIG DIFFERENCE in clutch performance
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 AM
MRZ5
Racer

are you running more than stock power?? if not, I would go back with stock clutch. no reason to pay for something you dont need. do you change your fluids regularly???? I change my trans fluid after 2 race weekend. change fluid in clutch res. I myself have upgraded trans and clutch, i also have over 550 hp, and spray nos. ..... If the stock cluth lasted this long, go with another one,

Originally Posted by whosurdaddy
I'm pushing 38000 miles and more than 30 HPDE days and the clutch seems to be in need of replacing. I'm not noticing any slip yet, but I've got occasional screetching in 5/6th gears coming from clutch area plus the tranny engages with the clutch almost fully out. So, I'm guessing before I get into next season that I need to have it addressed.

I've heard that aftermarket clutches may not be worth it - not ready for prime time and require shims and such. I would, however, like to beef up the drivetrain to help it wear better/longer.

Anyone have recommendations on what I could do to achieve my goal with a minimum of compromise (i.e., issues that I didn't know would occur)? New tranny? Bullet proof clutch?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We use the twin disk RPS also. It's been damn good. Slighting heavy of a peddle effort, but not hard to push in and out. The stock one feels like a limp noddle anyways.

Randy
Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

We use the rps twin. I have it in my car and really like it. It probably overkill for a lower hp car. We also have good results with the single tex on our lower hp cars.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
geerookie
Drifting

I have stock HP engine. I use a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel and a SPEC level 1 clutch disc and aluminum pressure plate. Huge reduction in rotating mass and feels almost like stock. A little firmer but easy to drive. Thottle response is fantastic and rev matching is easy.

Order the Aluminum Pressure plate not the "Light-weight" one which is just a lighter version of the regular pressure plate.
You can even save another pound or so by using the level 3 clutch.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Decisions decisions! Nothing is easy thats hard! If you are not putting over 500 hp at the rear I would go with the LS7.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Heat and slippage. Fresh clutch fluid keeps the clutch from slipping.

Castrol SRF or Motol DOT 4 brake fuild in the clutch makes A BIG DIFFERENCE in clutch performance
how does fresh clutch fluid keep the clutch from slipping? or did you mean is that fresh clutch fluid keep your clutch operating correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Recommendations

Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

So while someone has my drivetrain removed, should I be doing anything else during the clutch replacement? If I stick with OEM, what comes with the correct GM part? For that matter, does anyone have the proper part number so I can shop around?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

www.gmpartshouse.com

Look up his posts for monthly specials, always has the LS7 clutch listed. Pretty good prices and a good guy to work with.

Water, in the form of humidity gets into the clutch fluid. When enough gets in it will boil at a much lower temp, which you can easily reach on the track. Then you won't be able to do much with it. Flushing regularly will keep the water content very low and keep the boiling temp high enough so it does not boil. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the symptoms of boiled fluid is a slipping clutch, the reason being that it is not really much of a hydraulic system at that point. Once boiling occurs you have a steam pocket (probably a lot of very small ones) which is compressible instead of fluid which is not. So, when you press the pedal the clutch does not fully disengage, because some of the pressure is compressing the steam and not moving the slave. So when you shift it may not fully disengage, and cause some glazing of the clutch. At least thats how I see it, and I could be wrong...
Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattB
www.gmpartshouse.com

Look up his posts for monthly specials, always has the LS7 clutch listed. Pretty good prices and a good guy to work with.

Water, in the form of humidity gets into the clutch fluid. When enough gets in it will boil at a much lower temp, which you can easily reach on the track. Then you won't be able to do much with it. Flushing regularly will keep the water content very low and keep the boiling temp high enough so it does not boil. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the symptoms of boiled fluid is a slipping clutch, the reason being that it is not really much of a hydraulic system at that point. Once boiling occurs you have a steam pocket (probably a lot of very small ones) which is compressible instead of fluid which is not. So, when you press the pedal the clutch does not fully disengage, because some of the pressure is compressing the steam and not moving the slave. So when you shift it may not fully disengage, and cause some glazing of the clutch. At least thats how I see it, and I could be wrong...
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Transmission Recommendations