Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 09:46 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day?

I know brake pads have probably been discussed over and over but I figure I will bring it up one more time! :)

What brake pads should I go with for the upcoming Road American lapping day at the end of April? I am going to install a brand new set of OEM rotors and I want a pad that will offer amazing stopping ability. I do not care about how much dust they kick out and I really only need them to last the weekend. I was thinking a set of the Hawks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:26 AM
rjn
Instructor

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (MattG)

Road America's hard braking zones are nicely interspaced with "cooling opportunities", provided you've got some air routed to the calipers, any of the race pads should provide good performance

That said, I've used many of the PF-9x with good results (the 93 will really haul you down fast), and I've _heard_ that the new Hawk HT10 pads are incredible (I've not tried those yet tho')

Rob
Old 01-14-2002, 10:45 AM
70L46
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (MattG)

Matt - I am planning on going with the Performance Friction PFC-99 pads with a new set of stock rotors, and some high temp fluid. Lambinator mentioned in another thread that John Hienrecy said that was the combo GM used for their test cars on the track. I'm also planning on bringing my take offs and a new set of OEM pads as a back up.

We'll need to schedule a massive brake change/mod day before April :lol:
Old 01-14-2002, 12:03 PM
David Lively
Pro

I'd also like to suggest the Porterfield carbon-kevlar R4 race pad. Needs a pretty good break-in (I usually drive a new set to the track to give them time to get "squeaky") but they're absolutely phenomenal. No fade, incredible stopping power. (http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/) Lots of dust, of course.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:21 PM
gpflepsen
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Matt, after you get your pads figured out, get that beast down to the alignment shop!

;)(just to get another thread started)
Old 01-14-2002, 08:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (gpflepsen)

I have tried just about all the pads out there and as Hrocks says "PFC PFC PFC" 01 or 99 both worked good with my stock rotors and were the cheapest per mile because they lasted. With some ducting I can only see better results. :D :smash:
Old 01-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (John Shiels)

The one thing that I don't like about the pads I've used (Hawk hps) is they "tapper" as they wear and reduce the contact with the rotor.

I also use Motul 600 or ATE blue for fluid.

This post will probably give me the data I need to make a decision on pads for RA...I'm listening!
Old 01-14-2002, 09:03 PM
gpflepsen
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (Gary2KC5)

I was under the impression that most pads will taper in the stock calibers. This can be a factor of how aggressive each individual driver is in the braking zones.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:58 PM
rjn
Instructor

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (gpflepsen)

Warning: thread shift!

I was under the impression that the pads taper because (at least on the C5) the twin pistons are the same size. On some of the porsche calipers, the diameter of one piston is smaller than the other piston to offset the tapering effect

Kind of wonder why Chevy didn't do that....
Old 01-14-2002, 10:48 PM
gpflepsen
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (rjn)

*Thread shifting even further*

My impression is that the stock calipers are too weak and tend to flex under sever braking torque. As the pads taper they require more and more pedal to give the same braking effect. Thus giving rise to the false notion that the rubber brake hoses are expanding and the fluid boiling.

:D That should really get it going off thread:D
Old 01-15-2002, 01:01 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, you're right, always a hot topic of discussion. I wish I had a pad deal with PFC, because I have sure sold a bunch of them over the years. But, they WORK, and they don't kill your rotors.

A couple of thoughts you may want to consider along the way to RA...

Make sure that you season those new rotors (GM Motorsport rotors?) before you bang on them at RA. You will likely trash them with any real race pad if you don't. In fact, being that sounds like you didn't install them yet, the best thing to do is to get your PFc 99 or 01 pads in, and bed them with the "old" rotors. Do this by going to your favorite "test" area and making a series of ~6 progressively higher speed stops. Again, having done this procedure in an area where you will be able to drive the car for about fifteen minutes without having to use the brakes, (untill they are cool) park the car over night. Do this on a flat surface where you can just park it in gear...no e-brake. After that, then install your new rotors, do the same braking procedures as you did for the pads, except being extra careful NOT to OVERHEAT the new rotors. Bring them up to temp slowly with a series of ~6 progressively higher speed slowdowns. Again, drive it for 15-20 mins. without having to use the brakes. Park the car overnight. Your efforts will be rewarded with long component life.
BTW, Behling in Wisconson does a nice, competitive job on PFC pads. They are a circle track supply house. 1.800.255.4117 (Get your pads before the season starts.)

As far as pad taper, it's inevitable with a factory slide type caliper. (and symetrical pistons) It only gets worse. As the braking temps are elevated during track events, the aluminum caliper spreads open and exacerbates the taper problem. Get used to it. The only way to overcome pad taper is by using a multi-piston fixed caliper. (properly installed!)

Air is a GOOD thing for brake life. If you can route any in towards the center of the rotor, it would be worth the effort. Lastly, DO purge ALL of the existing brake fluid, replacing it with a good hi temp fluid like an ATE Super, Ford Hi Perf, Motul and some other higher quality brake fluids mentioned in many earlier posts. There are some full blown race only fluids that you can buy, but really I would'nt spend the $70/liter on Castrol SRF for occasional DE use.

If you don't take any shortcuts on the bedding and rotor "seasoning" procedures, you will have lots of laps of trouble free braking, while you watch some of the other heavy car owners in the paddock agonizing over their new hot rod pads and fancy rotors getting trashed.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:15 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (h rocks)

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. It seems like the PFC99 pads are the way to go with my plans of just using a brand new set of OEM rotors. I will make sure to go through the proper break-in and bedding procdure that has been siggested.

Are there any supported vendors on this forum that carries these pads? Bill, have you found anywhere around the Detroit area to get them?

Old 01-15-2002, 08:38 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Matt, I haven't found anyone local that carries the PFC race pads (there are a few that handle their industrial line).

Racesearch.com carries them:

Front: http://www.racesearch.com/CGI/racese...iption_id=1855

Rear: http://www.racesearch.com/CGI/racese...iption_id=1855

I am planning on calling a few places to check prices as well, if I find a cheaper source I will post it.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:07 PM
rjn
Instructor

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (70L46)

Man what a messed up web site!...How in the world did you get to those pads?! I couldn't find race pads for any of my cars.

The concept looks good though...if it was only usable :confused:

[Modified by rjn, 8:19 PM 1/15/2002]
Old 01-15-2002, 09:18 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (rjn)

Man what a messed up web site!...I don't know how you got to those pads, I couldn't find race pads for any of my cars.

The concept looks good though...
It wasn't easy :lol:

I had to get the part numbers from the race product catalog on Performance Friction's website, ( http://www.performancefriction.com/Products.html ) then searched for part of the part number on racesearch's website to get a match :rolleyes:

[Modified by 70L46, 8:19 PM 1/15/2002]
Old 01-15-2002, 09:22 PM
rjn
Instructor

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (70L46)

Thanks, now I don't feel so bad...the search engine only goes to the MY2000, and even then it came up with zero hits for a Corvette....sheesh!

As far as the PF website goes, anybody know where the 99 and 01 compounds are described? They still only define 83, 90 and 93!

I'm going to give hrocks' race shop phone number a call - sometimes it's nice to talk to a human...

[Modified by rjn, 8:25 PM 1/15/2002]
Old 01-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

FWIW, I did a weekend at Road America last year with totally stock brakes except for Ford HP fluid. The brakes seemed to be OK, and the fronts had about 1/2 thickness left at the end. But when we went to change the pads the next day, the front pads were cracked, chunked, and kinda melted. Even the rears had some damage. Better pads are a better idea.
Does anyone have experience with the '02 front pads for the ZO6? They are supposed to be better for the track, but still useable for the street.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day?

Old 01-16-2002, 12:21 AM
mnasrallah
Instructor

Has anyone tried CarboTech Panther Plus Pads. I was in Sebring last month while the Panoz Team was testing these. Very encouraging. I will be trying a set at Roebling next week. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried them.
http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm
Old 01-16-2002, 11:59 AM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to give hrocks' race shop phone number a call - sometimes it's nice to talk to a human...
I called Behling's this morning abd spoke with Bill. Nice guy, ordered some pads, he is sending me some catalogs, pricing was good. Nice and easy transaction.

Thanks hrocks.

Tom Melton
82 CE
86 Z51 Coupe
Old 01-17-2002, 01:52 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day? (tommelton)

I've come to the conclusion that it's not really about brake pads but brake calipers.

The problem lies in the dual / same size pistons in the calipers. After I thought I was done with mods...Brembo calipers and a 5 point harness system is now on the list (along with Z51 springs, damn you MattG).

I think I will bring two different sets of pads for RA...a Saturday pad and a Sunday pad.

Quick Reply: Which Brake Pads for a C5 going to the Road America Lapping Day?