Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paul Newman on his last Lap

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never met him personally but his crew was kind enough to give me his cast off tires (which are still in the garage). His car number at the time, 77. /:\
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car number usually matched his age.

I took this a few years ago, when he drove in the Daytona 24.

PLN
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

It is sad that the end is near...But it is great that he was able take a few last laps. I grew up in CT and have fond memories of him racing there. These were the days before he got sponsered by Bob Sharp racing.

I wish him well. He was a great racer (and actor).
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I still remember meeting him in the Tech Shed at BIR - I don't remember the year; I think it was when he and Danny "On the Gas" were driving the Pioneer Nissans. Super nice guy, regular guy and a real competitor.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I stand corrected, he had or has a cabin in northern MN.

Randy
Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Paul is from Cuyahoga Fall, OH, which is about 30 minutes from where i live. He raced "alot" at Nelson Ledges, funny because it is considered such a "dump." But it was a second home track to him (1st is LRP).

Well, the SCCA was holding a Driver's School at the track and the Chief Stewart (CS) gets a call from a guy named "Paul" who wanted to participate. "Paul" was told he could be either a student or an instructor as he had a National license. "Paul" said he would decide when he arrived at the track.

So the CS is hanging out in the towe when he sees one of the workers talking to a guy and pointing to the tower, so he figures (correctly) that this person is being sent his way. The CS is looking away from the door when this person walks into his "office." The new arrival says "I am the guy who you talked to about being either and student or an instructor. I guess I'll be an instructor."

The CS turned around and looked up, lo and behold it was PLN "hisself." The CS said his eyes were as blue as theye are reputed to be.

Can you image how the the student-racer felt having Paul Newman as his instructor for the weekend?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:52 PM
jcmbird
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was fortunate enough to meet Paul at Chips wedding. Great man and look what he's done for our hobby/sport. Great human being, hard to believe he is 80, were did the time go? I'm sure he'll give it his best fight.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:56 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is definitely one of the great ones, in so many ways.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyez06
can you image how the the student-racer felt having paul newman as his instructor for the weekend?
wow

BTW Why don't you share it over on the SCCAforum

http://sccaforums.com/forums/317429/...ad.aspx#317429

http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.as...KW=Paul+Newman

Last edited by BrianCunningham; 08-23-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:15 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

He has been a great supporter of indy car racing for the past two decades.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Paul was also a Navy veteran of WW2. Pretty remarkable man. Saw him race in Laguna Seca and Lime Rock.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always had the utmost respect for the man and all he has accomplished for himself and for so many others during his lifetime.

I had a buddy that was the team photographer back when he raced 510 Datsuns and told me many stories when he was just so cool to everybody no matter what position they held he treated them all incredibly well.

When he was racing the GTP cars my ex and I were right by him when the press came up and starting asking questions. He just grinned, held up his hand and told them to go talk the the guys that were doing better than he was. Of course this was in his firm, cool, polite, way that he has always been known for.

We could sure use more people like him in this world, he has made it a much better place for so many which effects us all in many ways.

I long ago forgot he served in the USN, that makes me a shipmate and I am quite honored to be one.

Rick
USN Retired

Last edited by RAAMaudio; 08-24-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

I didnt realize how bad he was doing until they said something about him during the F1 race this morning.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Todd Benne
Instructor

I posted this on an SCCA forum. I thought I would share it here, if you folks don't mind.

My first experience with PLN was back in the early 70's at a now defunct Mid America Raceways in Wentzville, MO. "Butch" was there driving a Ferarri 308 in B Sedan was it? He was on the false grid with his driver's suit unzipped placing ziploc bags full of ice in various locations. He was standing next to the driver's door of the car, I was on the passenger side holding my Kodak Instamatic camera. He got all of his ice packs situated, looked at me, smiled and asked if I wanted a photo. I still have it to this day, 30 plus years later.

Fast forward to 2004. I had taken the position of Director of Operations for a startup series called American GT Challenge, for GT1 and Trans-Am type cars, after having spent the last few years working in Trans-Am. The series raced that summer at Lime Rock on the same weekend as ALMS.

Paul along with Brock(Michael Brockman) entered their two cars. Newman in the former Gloy/Leitzinger Vette and Mike in the former Scottie Sharp Camaro.

I took that old Ferrari photo with me that weekend. I showed it to Paul and he smiled and laughed. The story began to unfold about what a piece of **** that car was as he called it. How it rained that raced and they had no wipers on it. Not even the assembly or even a hole in the hood to mount such. He got a chuckle about recalling the weekend.

Newman qualified I think it was third for the AGT race. I had to get his quotes and thoughts for the press release I needed to write. I found him in his toter home. I'll never forget. He was wearing a t-shirt, pumpkin orange boxers and had his hand in a bag of chips up to his elbow munching away all the while arguing with Mother as he called Joanne about a role she wanted him to take but he didn't want to. He explained to her how he felt it was better suited to a younger guy, he didn't like the role and was too old for it. Judging by the conversation, she disagreed. He gestured to me to share the chips, I grabbed a handful.

During post qualifying tech, we found a couple of cars with too low of a ride height. So they got moved to the back of the grid. Newman moved up a slot. I went back to ask him if he wanted to change his thoughts for the story. He said, naw, it only would have been better had he been 75 years old again. He said stick with what I had, I was the author, so use it.

During the race while running up front, his transmission blew. He brought the Vette down pit road and I hurried over, as I was pit road control during races, to see what was the issue. I looked in the driver's window and he motioned to the floor covered in lube.

He climbed out and I asked if he was ok. He said all was fine, but he couldn't keep his foot on the pedals everything was too slick. He mumbled something about kicking their asses out there and grabbed a water.

I have hanging on my office wall a 20 something year old oil painting. It is of Paul and Danny Sullivan along with the #6 Bud Can-Am car. It was painted, then had the season schedule imposed on it and printed into a promo poster for that year. It is one of my more prized pieces of memorabilia.

He will be missed for sure.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Very sad to hear. Great person in so many ways. I saw him race at Sears Point, Riverside and Laguna. A friend of our's went to work for his company several years ago and always said how happy he was working for Newman's company. They always supported our Legion baseball program as well as our high school programs with donations of products.

Larry
Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Many of you have fond memories of Paul Newman. I never got the chance to meet him, but wish I had.

He is a truly remamrkable human being. He is wealthy in monetary terms, but his true wealth comes from within. His spirit is one where we all can learn from. A depth of moral character that few people will ever obtain.

We learn from his mentoring, and hope that we can pass on a legacy such that he has.

I will pray for him, and hope that the lessons he has taught will stay with me, and that I can pass those lessons on.

May God be with you, Paul Newman. You are a true inspiration to all of us. He will have the checkered flag in His hands when you cross the finish line.

Get notified of new replies

To Paul Newman on his last Lap

Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

When I used to go to the Daytona 24, he was all about the paddock. Here's picture I got of him as he was leaving the garage area:

Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Benne
...My first experience with PLN was back in the early 70's at a now defunct Mid America Raceways in Wentzville, MO. "...
He will be missed for sure.

Mine too but it was in the 80's but still at the SCCA race track in Wentzville. PLN was qualified on the pole for the GT1 race but pulled into the pits as the field took the green. He pulled out of the pits when the field was clear of T1, a sharp right hander just past pit out.

In 20 short laps he had picked everyone off and took the checker.

What a classy, non-hollywood, great guy. He was rich in so many ways. He gave so much back to the sport he loved, to charity, and to life.

He will be missed greatly.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably his greatest legacy...

http://www.holeinthewallcamps.org/

Quick Reply: Paul Newman on his last Lap