Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Open Car trailer ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I been looking for one, they seem to really hold their value. You're better off paying a little more for a new one.
It makes life easier having one I'll tell you that much! I lucked out and got my Featherlite which was 1 year old at the time for $4200 with the tire rack already installed. Since then I spent roughly another 1k to buy and install the tool box and winch on the tongue along with a deep cycle marine battery to power the winch.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

What are people's thoughts on aluminum trailers that have treated wood decks? I found some that are 18' long and weigh 1200lbs and are quite a bit cheaper than fully aluminum ones.

Also, would 7' ramps be long enough to put a Vette on? In the past, on rented trailers, I would have to back my tow vehicle onto rhino ramps to reduce the approach angle and not scrape the bottom of my C5Z.

In addition, I see options that have single axle electric brakes or dual axle electric brakes. Dual brakes would obviously work better, but are they necessary?

Last edited by tytek; 07-24-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

7' ramps are probably too short for a trailer deck that is likely to be 18" to 20" high. A set of RR-TR-5 or RR-TR-7 Race Ramps trailer ramps would decrease the incline angle to work with your car.

Here's a link to Race Ramps trailer ramps with a slope that is under 6 degrees.

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...0&sort=nameAsc

Originally Posted by tytek
...Also, would 7' ramps be long enough to put a Vette on? In the past, on rented trailers, I would have to back my tow vehicle onto rhino ramps to reduce the approach angle and not scrape the bottom of my C5Z...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
It makes life easier having one I'll tell you that much! I lucked out and got my Featherlite which was 1 year old at the time for $4200 with the tire rack already installed. Since then I spent roughly another 1k to buy and install the tool box and winch on the tongue along with a deep cycle marine battery to power the winch.
Yeah, after 4 hours of driving and 3 hours of track time last Friday, a trailer is getting more and more appealing.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I strongly recommend brakes on all 4 wheels. In my experience trailer brakes can be tricky at times and I think it is worth the extra security.

I have been happy with my trailex open trailer. It sits high and has 11 foot ramps. Kind of old technology with leaf springs and the weight capacity is about 4k, but is it very light and I can do much of my maintenence and inspections while the car is on the trailer. Very light and I can roll it around on my driveway. With that said I am not sure I would take the same route again. Nothing bad to say about it but it definitely comes with a premium price tag. It is good if you are really conscious of weight.

Anyone know how the guy made out with the Acura MDX?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
7' ramps are probably too short for a trailer deck that is likely to be 18" to 20" high. A set of RR-TR-5 or RR-TR-7 Race Ramps trailer ramps would decrease the incline angle to work with your car.

Here's a link to Race Ramps trailer ramps with a slope that is under 6 degrees.

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...0&sort=nameAsc
I agree with Fred.... My racecar only has 2" of ground clearance and the Race ramps make loading and unloading so easy. I don't remember which model they are...but they are great.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 07-23-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I have a Trailex aluminum trailer, Model CT-7541. Weighs 895 lbs. My C5Z just fits it. I bought it used, so didn't have a choice of sizes. The deal was too good to pass up. But also look at the CT-8045, which weighs 910 lbs. A little bigger all around. The Trailex trailers are not cheap, but they are well built, provide excellent towing capacity, are reliable, and keep their value better than steel trailers. If weight is an issue, definitely the way to go.

I bought a new Trailex CT- 8045 to tow my C5Z behind a BMW X5. First of all the Trailex is perfect...it is light weight with built in long ramps. I can drive my lowered car straight up the included ramps with no problems.I put on a hitch with a Prodigy brake controller and it tows fine. Also, with a little maneuvering I can put the whole rig in a standard 21ft long garage. It is hard to find one of these used, and if you do the price is not much lower than new....so look at a new one and after resale the net cost is not bad.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Just bought a new 18' long aluminum trailer with wood deck and dual electric brakes, jack, ramps, alloy wheels, and alloy spare with a mount. Picking it up Saturday. Weighs in about 1350lbs.

Last edited by tytek; 07-24-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

A friend just bought an enclosed trailer. He has an excellent aluminum trailer with tire rack, box and a winch. He is instructing this weekend so he won't be back until Tuesday. He wants to sell hie open trailer. It is in Murfreesboro, TN. PM me if interested and I will get you guys together.

Jim
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

A friend just bought an enclosed trailer. He has an excellent aluminum trailer with tire rack, box and a winch. He is instructing this weekend so he won't be back until Tuesday. He wants to sell the open trailer. It is in Murfreesboro, TN. PM me if interested and I will get you guys together.

Jim

Quick Reply: Aluminum Open Car trailer ???