Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod ends and wheel bearings - just use GM stuff?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tie rod ends and wheel bearings - just use GM stuff?

So the wheel bearings and outer tie rod ends are bad on both sides of the rear of my C5Z, and I need to replace them before I go in for the spring alignment...

Do people generally just use GM replacement parts for these, or do they go for an aftermarket supplier that offers beefier parts that can take more abuse?

Finally if you were go get regular GM replacement parts, is gmpartsdirect.com the best way to go?

FWIW I am asking the autocross/roadrace folks because I am looknig for strong replacement parts, not cheap replacement parts like will probably be recommended in C5 gen...

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

All I can advise is that on my tie rods I just put some heat insulation sleeve for protection.
Slightly off topic, but I ordered some parts from gmpartsdirect recently and what I don't like is they do not make themselves available over the phone and have not answered any of my emails since I ordered. I have no idea when my order is supposed to come. Pretty upsetting. They even have a policy that says custom orders are non-refundable and conveniently put the custom order asterisk next to all of the things I ordered. Even a simple fuel filter which I generally don't consider a custom order. In my case I need a couple of the parts very soon and had I known they would do this I would have just bought them locally.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ONLY place I would buy GM parts is from Gene at GMpartshouse.com
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
The ONLY place I would buy GM parts is from Gene at GMpartshouse.com
110%

1) Corvette Forum supporting vendor
2) Available via telephone (business hours)
3) Available via email
4) Best prices

But to answer your original question.... I don't know if anyone makes those parts aftermarket that are superior to OEM. Whatever you do, make sure you stay away from the China junk, but I'm sure you already knew that.

I bought my ball joints and front tie rod ends from Vette Brakes. They said that were US made.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tie rod ends get from VBP and the new HD bearings from Van Steel are supposed to be out soon or autozone has Timken bearing which seem to be OEM
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HOW ABOUT THESE...
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1629
Old 03-25-2008, 08:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The stock GM bearing is a Timken bearing. Get the Timken at Autozone for much less.

Dont know what Caully can sell them for.

Heard that GM will have their racing bears available to anyone though GMPP not just racing teams. Dont know when though

Also that would be a good time to put in ARP or GM hardened studs, Before you install the new bearing
Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trackboss
All I can advise is that on my tie rods I just put some heat insulation sleeve for protection.
Slightly off topic, but I ordered some parts from gmpartsdirect recently and what I don't like is they do not make themselves available over the phone and have not answered any of my emails since I ordered. I have no idea when my order is supposed to come. Pretty upsetting. They even have a policy that says custom orders are non-refundable and conveniently put the custom order asterisk next to all of the things I ordered. Even a simple fuel filter which I generally don't consider a custom order. In my case I need a couple of the parts very soon and had I known they would do this I would have just bought them locally.
...will never deal with GMPD again, I had a problem and they would not respond to me.

They should have a warning on their web page...."Use At Your Own Risk"!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can go with MOOG or AC Delco for the tie rod ends or ball joints if needed. Either brand would be fine for street/autocross/track use.

For bearings, AC Delco will work fine or the AutoZone Timken units.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the rear inner and outer tie rods? Rockauto did not seem to have a listing for them.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Wow, thanks for all the ideas! Sounds like as of right now there isn't anything substantially better than just OE replacement - so I'll go for something in that realm...

Unfortunately gmpartsdirect has the best prices on everything - but I'll pay more for better service and to support the smaller vendors any day of the week rather than going through the hastle of a large companay. So I'll likely be going to VBP or gmpartshouse for what I need.

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbauch357
Wow, thanks for all the ideas! Sounds like as of right now there isn't anything substantially better than just OE replacement - so I'll go for something in that realm...

Unfortunately gmpartsdirect has the best prices on everything - but I'll pay more for better service and to support the smaller vendors any day of the week rather than going through the hastle of a large companay. So I'll likely be going to VBP or gmpartshouse for what I need.

Thanks again!
I think they bang you HEAVY on the shipping so watch out!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

As someone mentioned above, check the prices at Autozone for the bearings. It's the exact same bearing, and I haven't seen anyone beat AutoZone's price.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

FWIW I also tried getting them through my dad who own's a shop and has corporate accounts/discounts on the stuff - and even his price was $150+ for the bearings and $80 for the tie rod ends from the dealer.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
As someone mentioned above, check the prices at Autozone for the bearings. It's the exact same bearing, and I haven't seen anyone beat AutoZone's price.
Auto Zone has the OEM GM bearing which is made by and Labled Timken
Old 06-12-2008, 06:37 AM
jim_hewett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Concur on gmpartsdirect....they make promises don't execute..paid for next day delivery got the part 10 days later would not refund difference.
Never again! Hope they self destruct.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

The Van Steele bearings SHOULD be good, but we'll have to get some field data. OEM is certainly better than some of the repros floating around.

As for tierod ends, OEM is fine, but you MUST wrap them. The VBP ends are great, as they are longers (have more threads), so if you've added negative camber to your car (and unscrewed the tie rods to correct toe), you still have lots of threads intact. Again, you still MUST wrap them to protect from rotor heat
Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The stock GM bearing is a Timken bearing. Get the Timken at Autozone for much less.

Dont know what Caully can sell them for.

Heard that GM will have their racing bears available to anyone though GMPP not just racing teams. Dont know when though

Also that would be a good time to put in ARP or GM hardened studs, Before you install the new bearing
I got my GM Race bearings from LG Motorsports

Get notified of new replies

To Tie rod ends and wheel bearings - just use GM stuff?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tie rod ends and wheel bearings - just use GM stuff?