Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

930 vs C5Z...Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 vs C5Z...Track Car?

Comming down to the wire and it's pop or walk on either car...

Porsche 930 (turbo,whale tale wing), 1984, set up for track work with cage and suspension ect

vs

C5Z, 02, cage and suspension ect

Both cars are similar price...similar WHP...similar weight (perhaps the 930 is a bit lighter) and similar tire sizes.

I'd like to stick with what I know, had a C5z before, but the alure of a different car is tempting...and the 930 was the "hot" car when I was in high-school...same effect of the baby-boomers buying 'Cudas and old-school muscle.

Your thoughts?

Be good,
TomK
Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

I'd stick with the C5Z, better to work on and lower parts cost plus it is American! I just watched trackman's video here and he was passing older p cars like they were standing still.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cost of maintenance, parts to repair and consumables? I have never been impressed by Porsche except one. It had 350 HP and weight was claimed to be 1900. Guy spun all the time in it. He runs Pocono events.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-06-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Maintenance and consumable parts will be something you should consider. Check out the consumables for each car -- rotors - brake pads- number of quarts of oil for each change and filter - replacement turbo if one cooks its bearings -- etc. Also look at the ultimate expense of an engine rebuild if either motor frags - The P car will be MUCH more expensive !!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I'll second or third that....Porsches are VERY expensive....parts, maintenance, you name it. Plus, an 84 was back before they engineered most of the evil spirits outa them. They are much easier to drive fast now.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

Even after more $$$ in work than I can remember, I got tired of backing the 89 930 off the track.

Im just not good enough to get that thing around the track fast.

It would occur to me that a Z06 would be a lot more fun and easier on the wallet in the short and probably long run.

You and I have both had STi's. The 930 is the polar opposite in terms of ease, cost, and fun.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to pick up an 89 930 with a buddy. During the drive, he was looking through the parts manual. Just a quick example, the oil pump was something like $1200. Of course, the 89 was a one year model I think, but the prices for parts were outrageous. Also, I know Porsches have been raced for years, but it just doesn't seem right to count on air cooling. Personally, I would be a lot more comfortable with a water cooled engine on the track. The Porsche would be different and not as common, but that works both ways as everyone has said.

Ken

Last edited by bb69; 03-07-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

If you want to be slow the P car is the way to go !
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

I agree, especially on the cost part. My buddy has a 944 and the cost to rebuild the engine (not even by a dealer) was over $6k. You can buy a brand new LS6 for that.

I have another buddy who started doing DEs the same time as me. He has a mid-80s turbo, and he can't keep it on the track. He's been so frustrated he's thinking about not doing DEs any more. The older turbos apparently have a very abrubt onset of boost, and if the boost happens to kick in while you've got the wheels turned.....

Having said that, I would still love to have a vintage 911 to track or race, but I plan to steer clear of the turbos. And I'll always have a Corvette first and foremost.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Jim MacZ06
Advanced

An '84 930 Turbo is not a fast car and a stock C5 Z should be quicker especially on the straights. You listed that the Z has suspension mods so that will make it very competitive in the turns depending on what suspension mods the PCar has.

Now, if you want to compare the '02 C5Z to an '02 996 Turbo forget it, the Pcar will walk and it is easier to drive, but you are not, so buy the Z.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the comments made above in the post. I am modding a 2002 Z06 for track use for many of the reasons above. It provides a better value, it American and it's a Vette!

That's not to put Porsches down; they are great cars, however $$ to $$ a Z06 build will outperform a Porsche project. That's not even considering the maint issues down the line.

One additional comment: having a turbo (& an older one at that which likely has more lag) for a track car? Now you have the rear end weight distribution (propensity for under-steer) plus the turbo lag (Yahoooooooo!). That wouldn't be my cup of tea.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was not in the market for any particular brand or model of car, I only wanted something fast, fun, easy to repair and cost effective.

I did allot of homework, all the famous JDM, Euro and domestics. I made calls to get quotes on parts and labor I would not have time to do.
I checked on used parts for repairing the body/chassis as well as mechanicals issues.

A great deal of focus was on fun to drive yet not so tricky it was a borderline wreck in the waiting like some cars can be.

AWD, FWD, RWD, etc......

The Vette won hands down, my first domestic car in my 40 years of modding and I wish I had done this a few years ago, I blew enough money to build 2 or 3 great ones in that time!

Rick
Old 03-07-2008, 04:17 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

C5 hands down...

I've been though the porsche world, and I simply cannot think of another car that has the bang for the buck the vette does The $ per "fast" of the vette is SKY high compared to that of any porsche.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:38 PM
jcmbird
Advanced

my 2 cents, the porsche will hold value better, maybe.I would advise 5spd car 89 or newer.hydro clutch also.One problem is turbo lag, watkins glen [boot] couldn't get my 89 spooled up. My 930 was more fun to drive than my c5z. You could lift a little the back would come around then catch it. Just a blast! There is a big susp. difference on later 930's also I'm not sure what all it is ,but earlier 930's could be a hand full and I've seen couple bite [wreck] the dust quick. Its hard to beat a turbo on a straight [heavier waste gate spring].I've passed alot of earlier corvettes on the straights. But c5 's are far better.The motors are sound also, 200-300k miles no problem. Ran into ignition modulator problems.It would just quit, so I got rid of it. Now you see what I own. C5 will be easier to drive and almost certainly faster than porsche.Good luck
Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
ace996
Pro

A thousand thanks for all the replies. My decision is to find a decent C5Z and prepare it for the track.
Now I just need to find one...

Thanks,
TomK
Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Default my vote- the 930

I'd go with the 930-- if you can verify it's maintenance history and know a good mechanic. If the car has acage, sounds like a track car- most are pretty darn quick (in the right hands) and bullet proof. I'd be much more comfortable with a 930 for track use than a C5-- and it holds its resale better. There is no cheap cost to run a fast car-- doens't matter if a porsche or vette. Just look at what's involved with brakes on a vette seeing lots of track use. Plus, how many mechanics are out there that know how to maintain and set up a vette for track use?

I been running Porsches at the track for 20 years-- my 911 has been bullet proof. It's fast-- if you know how to drive it. That's the whole mystique of the 911 series-- it takes a skilled driver to make them go fast. I just bought a C6, will be going to the track with it-- and have been nothing but confused trying to get a simple answer to :what tires are available to run for DOT -R competition tires? Will make your head spin. Porsches are designed for this abuse. I'd have bought a GT3 for this last purchase, but the value of the Vette was too hard to pass up (436hp for less than 45k). So i'm putting up with the silliness- and expense of getting a proper brake set up, cooling for the brakes,etc. Let alone trying to get a seat that works, harnesses, etc.

Drive both-- on the track - and decide. The 911 is just such a rewarding car to drive. The Vette is easier-- but not as visceral.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

These two cars are in totally different leagues. The C5 /C6 cars are track monsters. Put race tires and brake pads on and there is almost nothing that can keep up with them on the track. Not even the Vipers. By contrast, the P-car has poor dynamics, especially for a non-expert driver. It doesn't like to make weight transitions and it will bite you quickly if you are not very good. The C5/C6 will circulate a track faster, period. Other reasons this is a no-brainer: It has nannies to save your bacon while you learn the track. The drivetrain is bulletproof. The consumables are cheaper.

l8 apexer, Toyo R888s and Hoosier A6/R6s come in stock C6 sizes +10mm front and rear.

EDIT------------------

P-car comments above apply to that vintage and that particular car, which is a real handfull. The newer ones (boxster, 911) are very nice to drive, the best 911 being the 993 or 997 (the latter being tamer, the former more fun and more "911-ish"). Don't like the 996. 997 is very nice, but still bobs around too much and has a wierd wiggle when you transition from brakes to power. Maybe it's just me. Frankly, my favorite Porsche is the Cayman. Just totally a natural chassis, like the 3rd Gen RX-7 was. Other nice cars that come to mind are the S2000 and the M3, and, surprisingly the M5 which is a whole lot more competitive than you might suspect. Vette is still king on the track though.

Last edited by TTRotary; 03-08-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 930 vs C5Z...Track Car?

Old 03-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Im sure that 930 would be a blast to drive...but as everyone has said, $$$$ to fix/maintain. I cannot fathom a better all around car then a c5/c6 for track use/racing.

Last edited by Oyishdog; 03-08-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ace996
A thousand thanks for all the replies. My decision is to find a decent C5Z and prepare it for the track.
Now I just need to find one...

Thanks,
TomK
Even the guys over on Rennlist prefered the C5 Z06 for a track car.. vs, a 930 turbo.

And those guys are die-hard Porsche fans !!!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Even the guys over on Rennlist prefered the C5 Z06 for a track car.. vs, a 930 turbo.

And those guys are die-hard Porsche fans !!!
I was very surprised about that. Some still have blinders on, but quite a bit of respect from both boards for both marquees.

Still looking...

Be good,
TomK

Quick Reply: 930 vs C5Z...Track Car?