Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big boy racing seats for C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big boy racing seats for C6

I am 6' tall weigh 260# with a 44" waist.

Would some one please recommend racing seats for my C6? Also, please recommend mounting hardware.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Possibly a Kirkey and a HARDbarUSA.com mount. Kirkey will make custom if need be.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/seats3.htm

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/

Road race delux seat is probably best.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-10-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:15 AM
kermooni
Racer

Default To clarify ...

This is also my daily driver. I only track it for HPDE ...

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:36 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

That is why we made it easy and fast to put in and take out.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, I thought you had posted in another thread that an Evo XL will fit in a C6. For a 6' driver, perhaps there would be enough headroom.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:04 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

We have done a few EVO3's in C5's but the width costs headroom. It is very much of a shoehorn job. I am not sure about the EVO XL, but here is a pdf of the dimensions of Sparco seats. The EVO, Pro2000, Evo2 all fit well.
http://sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/26.pdf
Old 03-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Forza 2's maybe
Old 04-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghoffman
We have done a few EVO3's in C5's but the width costs headroom. It is very much of a shoehorn job. I am not sure about the EVO XL, but here is a pdf of the dimensions of Sparco seats. The EVO, Pro2000, Evo2 all fit well.
http://sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/26.pdf
If I am correct the Evo XL is the same as the Evo3.....can the Evo3 fit into a C5 without removing the stock shoulder harness (using the hardbar seat rails of course)? I don't think so but I thought I'd ask.

Last edited by Webz; 04-16-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:00 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kermooni
I am 6' tall weigh 260# with a 44" waist.

Would some one please recommend racing seats for my C6? Also, please recommend mounting hardware.

Thanks.
I feel your pain

I'm 6'5", 276 and a 42" waist

I use a kirkey with custom built, low mounts from LG Motorsports so I can fit in with my helmet on. So far it's great. When not wearing my helmet I put in a "graham cracker" thickness pillow to cushion the darn thing. Race tracks are actually smoother than most of the roads, so it's not so hard on the back and butt.

Anyway, my bud has a hardbar setup with a kirky and he's your height, not sure about the rest of his measurements, which is a good thing right? Anyway, He fit's fine and it works well for him. Although he had to adjust the seat/mount a couple of times. His handle here is yakisoba (don't ask me, ask him about the name).

He can advise, I'll send him this thread!!

JK
Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

To put in the EVO3 with our rails, you need an additional spacer block kit with longer fasteners ($25). This is used in the driver's left front corner for the additional width. Also, you need to run the side plates on the outside of the rails. If you are using a harness bar with down struts you are going to have to fab something because when you try to sandwich it under the thread adapters you will compromise the thread engagement integrity. We recommend that the flat strap harness bar out there specifically NOT be used with our rails. I recommend you sell the flat strap bar anyway, you can deflect that strap with your little finger, so how is it going to react to a compressive load in a forward hit, and using it under the rails will put it up on one corner and again, will compromise the structural integrity of the mount. Consider this a very strong warning not to use that strap under our rails. If you have any questions, please call me.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073
Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'3", 250. I fit in a 17" wide seat. Waist width is pretty unimportant in this context, only how wide your hip bones are.

To take that measurement, sit down on the floor, with your back against a wall, as square as possible, legs together. Place a board against your right hip, and another against your left, parallel. Mark the positions, and measure. That distance is the width of the seat you will need, pretty much.

I got lucky, in that I'm not between sizes. The 17" seat fits. I run a Kirkey road race seat mounted on Hardbar rails. I had to cut a good bit out of the rails to get them to both fit in the C5 and be low enough to clear my helmet. Gary's rails are easy to work with, so it wasn't too hard to do.

In order to prep for a track day, I unbolt the stock seat (four nuts and an electrical connection) and lift the whole thing out. I then screw down the Hardbar seat stud sleeves (with washers for spacing) and place the Kirkey on them, and tighten four 7/8" nuts down. Wrap my harness around the bar in back, and that's it. The hardest part is getting the inside rear nut tight enough, because room to work behind the seat is limited. It takes about 15 minutes to do once you have the routine down. Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 725 Likes on 505 Posts

A friend is having a custom seat made by Butler, and they are making the side lower than a normal racing seat, as getting in and out can be difficult in a full-on race seat.

He is also over 6'6" and proportionally large, so I'll post info when we get the seat in. Hopefully soon....

Get notified of new replies

To Big boy racing seats for C6

Quick Reply: Big boy racing seats for C6