Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Doors--Weight Reduction Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C4 Doors--Weight Reduction Question

Can anyone share with me how light they have been able to get their C4 doors to weigh in race trim? I am trying to determine what a fully gutted door with a lexan window would weigh.

Thanks in advance!

NitrousSam
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
speedjohnson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can really go to town with them. The hardest to do is to remove the doorbar (only if you have a roll cage) and the metal reinforcement strip at the top... they are glued and laminated in... but, the bare shell couldn't weigh much more than 10 lbs.

Can you believe how much they weigh to start with? I bet it's more than 40# per door!

Don't forget to narrow the hinges after you lighten the door, you can save another couple of pounds of un-needed balast.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedjohnson
You can really go to town with them. The hardest to do is to remove the doorbar (only if you have a roll cage) and the metal reinforcement strip at the top... they are glued and laminated in... but, the bare shell couldn't weigh much more than 10 lbs.

Can you believe how much they weigh to start with? I bet it's more than 40# per door!

Don't forget to narrow the hinges after you lighten the door, you can save another couple of pounds of un-needed balast.
Thanks...I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I am doing 2 sets of doors for my car. One set is factory weight for street driving and fun and the other set will be full on race doors with lexan, aluminum door skin panels and gutted including the beam.

NitrousSam

Last edited by NitrousSam; 12-04-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 PM
90pololt4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard is it to get into the beam to remove it?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Doors--Weight Reduction Question

Quick Reply: C4 Doors--Weight Reduction Question