Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 sway bars vs. stock zo6 bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default T1 sway bars vs. stock zo6 bars

Hi, I was wondering how much of a difference the t1 sway bars really make? I know there will be less body roll, but how does it affect the ride of the car vs. a stock zo6 sway bar?
Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 06:28 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It makes the car ride more stiff, how much more is hard to say. I don't think that it is too stiff, but I don't mind cars that ride stiff. My C4 rides like crap on the street, but I love it at the track. I've installed and driven many C5's with the T1 bars and haven't found them too rough.

Just to let you know though if you are not running R-compound tires the T1 bars are too much. Your car will push and you wont like them. The bars were designed for larger R compound tires for road racing. The T1 bar typically makes your car understeer unless you really push the car, just to let you know. If your looking for more of a happy medium there are lots of 35mm bars out there that will work better for double duty.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from the base suspension to Z06 springs, Bilstein Sports and T1 bars. I am using R compound, Toyo RA-1s.

I find that on smooth surfaces you don't feel any more harshness than with the base (FE-1) suspension. On some bumpy sections of road it does feel harsher but on other bumpy sections the ride feels better than it did with the base. This may be due to the better Bilstein shocks. At no time do I find the ride objectionable.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Your car will probably handle worse with T1 bars than the Z06 bars on bumpy surfaces (like roads, parking lots, etc.). If you're going for dedicated track time (which are really smooth), then the T1 bars will work well.

It all depends on what you're wanting to do.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-28-2006, 08:58 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Other than tires, the T1 bars were the first thing I did on my car. I bought a stock Z06 and slowly piecemealed it into a full T1 car. With the base Z06 suspension, I added the T1 bars and it was worth 2 seconds per lap on the track. It's a huge improvement.

The car was a bit rougher on the street, and the hiem joints do "clunk" a bit, but nothing that really bugged me when I drove it on the street. The T1 bars are one of the cheapest ways on the market to go much faster! Great stuff!!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

We were just comparing Bad Machines car photos at WGI versus mine. he has Z06 sways with C5 Z06 shocks. I have T1 bars with C6 Z06 shocks. You can see a good amount of difference in the body roll...
Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Does anyone have any autox experience with T1 bars? Autox is typically on pavement that's a lot bumpier than someplace like WGI, VIR, etc.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Does anyone have any autox experience with T1 bars? Autox is typically on pavement that's a lot bumpier than someplace like WGI, VIR, etc.

Have a good one,
Mike
Sure! That has more to do with the shocks and spring rates more so than the sway bars. They'll still work!!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:24 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Sure! That has more to do with the shocks and spring rates more so than the sway bars. They'll still work!!
The reason I went with the Z06 springs and Bilsteins with the T1 bars instead of a straight T1 setup is that while I love to track the car, I still like to due some spirited driving through the twisties in the hills of northern Calif. and I wanted a more compliant suspension to deal with the less than perfect(understatement) roads we have here.

The car handles the bumps and undulations with ease and only the asphalt patches that look more like the surface of the moon than pavement prove to be too much for it and the tires tend to float over the section rather than stay in contact with it.

One unexpected plus is that San Francisco has more than its share of potholes and they can sometimes sneak up on you. The stiffness of the T1 bars prevent the wheel from getting swallowed up and it just feels like a small bump
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Anyone know if the T1 bars are becoming available again? Weren't the pretty scarce earlier in the summer?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 AM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the info guys, I am asking because I have t1 bars on my 01 zo6, it came with them when I got it. And I am trading a guy my t-1's for stock zo6 bars plus cash and am curious how much different the car will be. I dont autocross it, always wanted to but never had them time, plus I just sold my track wheels and slicks that also came with the car. Will it still handle well? I have toyo t1r tires and billstien shocks on all 4 corners.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2006, 02:41 AM
SFVetteman
Drifting

I think that most people would say that a C5 with the base (FE1) suspension handles pretty well especially if you ditch the runflats and the ‘01 Z06 is a great handling car. I think it’s also no argument that the Bilsteins being very similar in performance to the ’04 Z06 shocks are an improvement over the shocks your ’01 came with.

You will have more body roll with the Z06 bars compared to the T1 but it’s important to remember that no matter how well the suspension can handle the loads the tires need to be up to the task. Since you aren’t running R compound tires it may very well be that the cornering ability will be pretty much the same and all you will notice is more lean and a slightly less harsh ride at times
Old 09-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Jeremy@FredBeans
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
Anyone know if the T1 bars are becoming available again? Weren't the pretty scarce earlier in the summer?

We currently have 2 sets of bars in stock and one set of shocks. Call me if you interested in getting a set. 484-931-4800.

Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy@FredBeans; 09-29-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop

yes GM screwed up and the new ones didn't fit around the C5 exhaust. They now have them back in stock and they fit.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently use stock Z06 sways. I know this question has been asked over and over, but what is the stock Z06 size? What about these Adcco 35mm and 24mm bars. I think the T1 is 38mm and 25mm? Would these Adcco bars be a nice alternative to say Z06? They are cheaper. I guess I have to buy the poly bushings as well.

Get notified of new replies

To T1 sway bars vs. stock zo6 bars

Quick Reply: T1 sway bars vs. stock zo6 bars