Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Street/Autocross Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
Which Falkens?? The Falken RT615, which I have in 275/17-315/18, are the grippiest street-class tire I've ever used. They are the most popular tire at SCCA SoloII National Events for "street-tire" classes...and that is saying a great deal about the tire.

Falken RT615s. If you find a grippier street-tire, please let me know.

-ace
I have run BFG KD's, GY FI and GSD on Falken 615's. Until the 615's came along, the KD's were the best on both autocross and hpde. At Grissom, I did back to back testing with my KD's and the Falken were faster by almost 0.5 sec on a 52 sec course. Falken...without a doubt.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:31 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I know one guy that does pretty good with Nitto NT-55 RIIs on his camaro. I'm looking at getting a set for myself.
Since you specifically mentioned auto-x, as a technical point, the 555-RII's aren't legal tires for SCCA stock classes.

Each tire model must be sold in at least four rim diameters, with a total of at least six sizes. [2006 rulebook, 13.3.F pg 62.] See here

My local club doesn't have any problem with running these, but if you're a really competative driver (I'm not) it's just something to note.

-Scott
Old 07-28-2006, 05:40 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by Gordy M
I have run BFG KD's, GY FI and GSD on Falken 615's. Until the 615's came along, the KD's were the best on both autocross and hpde. At Grissom, I did back to back testing with my KD's and the Falken were faster by almost 0.5 sec on a 52 sec course. Falken...without a doubt.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:31 PM
tedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Gordy knows his stuff. But let me add a bit....

Are you planning to use these as your regular street tires, too? If so, those Falkens sing annoyingly at typical highway speeds. If autox is your primary use, go with them. But you might wish to consider the Kumho Ecsta MX, GY F1 Supercar (not so hot in the wet) or GY F1 GS D3s if normal street driving is your primary need.

I switched from Supercars to the Kumhos for better wet traction, since my Z06 is also my daily driver. I also use them as my autox rain tire or when I run street class if I feel too lazy to switch to Hoosiers.

Some of our region members have kicked butt with the GS-D3, which also is one of the best wet traction tires I've come across. They just started making them in Z06 sizes, and will be my next purchase when my current Kumhos wear out.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

I was just about to say what about the GS-D3. Supposed to be very good in dry and killer in wet. Also, is the new KD design better than the original?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 PM
ace996
Pro

I use the Falkens as my street tires. 275/315s...best street tire I've ever used. And not that bad in the rain. Nothing comes close to the dry grip levels available.
-ace
Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I use the Falkens as my street tires. 275/315s...best street tire I've ever used. And not that bad in the rain. Nothing comes close to the dry grip levels available.
-ace
Do you have pics? How well do the 315/30's fit on stock C5 Z06 wheels? Whats the tread life like?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 AM
ChasNMe
Pro

didnt see faulkens on tirerack, where can i look at pricing them?
jake
Old 07-29-2006, 02:10 AM
tedster
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChasNMe
didnt see faulkens on tirerack, where can i look at pricing them?
jake
Try Discount Tire

http://www.discounttiredirect.com
Old 07-29-2006, 10:12 AM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

-ace
how are they wearing so far?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tedster
Gordy knows his stuff. But let me add a bit....

Are you planning to use these as your regular street tires, too? If so, those Falkens sing annoyingly at typical highway speeds. If autox is your primary use, go with them. But you might wish to consider the Kumho Ecsta MX, GY F1 Supercar (not so hot in the wet) or GY F1 GS D3s if normal street driving is your primary need.

I switched from Supercars to the Kumhos for better wet traction, since my Z06 is also my daily driver. I also use them as my autox rain tire or when I run street class if I feel too lazy to switch to Hoosiers.

Some of our region members have kicked butt with the GS-D3, which also is one of the best wet traction tires I've come across. They just started making them in Z06 sizes, and will be my next purchase when my current Kumhos wear out.

Hope this helps.
Great info. Can you plz comment on the Kumho's WET performance. There was a tire testing done by Car & Driver, and Kumho was considered not good on WET roads. Also if you look at www.tirerack.com and read the specs of Kumho MX, it's got very low numbers in the Wet traction, though great for summer tire.

Can you also plz provide the info on GY GS-D3 tires. Where have you found them in Z06 sizes? Even tirerack doesn't have them in that size? If someone can give this info, along with the best available price on these, then I think this would be the best bet. Rated #1 by Car and Driver... and also tirerack.

Thanks, and keep the info coming..
Old 08-03-2006, 06:09 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

FWIW, Car and Driver did a shootout of a whole bunch of performance tires and the GY GS-D3's came in first place...the strong point being supposedly amazing wet traction coupled with very strong dry traction as well. Also has a good treadwear rating and the price is reasonable too. And yes, I saw them on the tirerack in Z06 sizes, 295/35/18, $271 ea...no 265's for the front, but they had 275's @ $205 ea.

In that same comparison Kuhmo MX's scored really poorly, they were near the bottom of the 10 tires they tested.

Last edited by kbreese; 08-03-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Roadrace65
Pro

Kumho MX for Street & Street Tire AutoX
Old 08-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Great info. Can you plz comment on the Kumho's WET performance. There was a tire testing done by Car & Driver, and Kumho was considered not good on WET roads.
I had a set of MXs in stock C5 size that were great in the rain. Even after autocrossing on them for about 1/2 a year, I made a blast from Nashville-Miami-Mobile-Nashville, often in the rain, and I never even had to drop below the speedlimit except when it was raining so hard I couldn't see. Never had a problem with them hyrdoplaning.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kbreese
FWIW, Car and Driver did a shootout of a whole bunch of performance tires and the GY GS-D3's came in first place...the strong point being supposedly amazing wet traction coupled with very strong dry traction as well. Also has a good treadwear rating and the price is reasonable too. And yes, I saw them on the tirerack in Z06 sizes, 295/35/18, $271 ea...no 265's for the front, but they had 275's @ $205 ea.

In that same comparison Kuhmo MX's scored really poorly, they were near the bottom of the 10 tires they tested.
Thanks for the confirming what I was saying. There must be some truth to it, if the Kumhos turned out with such LOW score. Even on tirerack site we can view the points giving to each tire. I really like the fact that Kumhos are very afforable, and great for a summer tire. But that one day when we happen to be in the rain, with High power rear wheels drive cars, its kinda scary to think, what CAN happen. I've had 2 bad experiences in the rain, in the past. So, wet traction is surely a very important feature for someone like myself. Though GS-D3s are almost $300 a set more than Kumhos. And they still don't make the front tire for Z06...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:40 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the confirming what I was saying. There must be some truth to it, if the Kumhos turned out with such LOW score. Even on tirerack site we can view the points giving to each tire. I really like the fact that Kumhos are very afforable, and great for a summer tire. But that one day when we happen to be in the rain, with High power rear wheels drive cars, its kinda scary to think, what CAN happen. I've had 2 bad experiences in the rain, in the past. So, wet traction is surely a very important feature for someone like myself. Though GS-D3s are almost $300 a set more than Kumhos. And they still don't make the front tire for Z06...

I have run several sets of Kumho MXs in the rain - a lot - the stock F1s sent me on a hydroplane multiple times - never had that issue with MXs. Car and Driver also picked the Evo over the ZO6 in one of their comparison articles - buy what makes you happy - if you drive the car like it was meant to be you will get the chance to buy many sets of tires....

275/40s are a fine fit for the front of the ZO6 - it was what I run all the time....305s are great in the back if you can find any that do not cost through the roof (Nitto RIIs for example)...

Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by varkwso
I have run several sets of Kumho MXs in the rain - a lot - the stock F1s sent me on a hydroplane multiple times - never had that issue with MXs. Car and Driver also picked the Evo over the ZO6 in one of their comparison articles - buy what makes you happy - if you drive the car like it was meant to be you will get the chance to buy many sets of tires....

275/40s are a fine fit for the front of the ZO6 - it was what I run all the time....305s are great in the back if you can find any that do not cost through the roof (Nitto RIIs for example)...

That sounds like a little + for MX's. And are you sure its ok to run 275/40/17 in the front and 295/40/18 in the back? Also, has someone considered Toyo 1R tires. They're actually $788 shipped (all 4 in Z size). Is there any other tire cosidered to be "Better" than these, for a better price?

Get notified of new replies

To Best Street/Autocross Tires

Old 08-04-2006, 06:46 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That sounds like a little + for MX's. And are you sure its ok to run 275/40/17 in the front and 295/40/18 in the back? Also, has someone considered Toyo 1R tires. They're actually $788 shipped (all 4 in Z size). Is there any other tire cosidered to be "Better" than these, for a better price?
yeah of course you can run 275/40/17's in the front, its only very slightly taller and wider than the stock 265's. As far as the rear, definitely don't get 295/40/18's, you want 295/35/18's or 305/35/18's

Varkwso,
I understand your point about car and driver, but the Evo vs Zo6 choice was alot more subjective than the tire shootout which was really just strictly based on performance numbers they produced. I'm not saying it's the end all of tires tests or 100% accurate by any means, but I believe it probably has some validity to it. I had a Set of Kuhmo MX's btw on Zo6 wheels on a TA I used to have. The tires were pretty good in wet, but I was never that impressed with the dry traction. They also tracked ruts in the road really badly. The price however was great and they looked nice.

Last edited by kbreese; 08-04-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:30 PM
tedster
Advanced

Great info. Can you plz comment on the Kumho's WET performance. There was a tire testing done by Car & Driver, and Kumho was considered not good on WET roads. Also if you look at www.tirerack.com and read the specs of Kumho MX, it's got very low numbers in the Wet traction, though great for summer tire.

Can you also plz provide the info on GY GS-D3 tires. Where have you found them in Z06 sizes? Even tirerack doesn't have them in that size? If someone can give this info, along with the best available price on these, then I think this would be the best bet. Rated #1 by Car and Driver... and also tirerack.

Thanks, and keep the info coming..
Consider that I had been thru 5 sets of F1 Supercars. These are great dry tires. While grip was decent in the wet, they became much more prone to hydroplaning once the tread was between 1/3 to 1/2 worn.

I had grown weary of the 'excitement' of driving those F1s in the rain on a car with an autox alignment. When it was time for the sixth set of tires, Goodyear had come out with the GS-D3 to very positive reviews so I wanted to switch. Unfortunately, they were not made in the rear Z06 size, so I went looking elsewhere.

At that time, the Kumho's had a much better wet traction rating than most of the available, stickier street tires, and the tread pattern was much more capable of shedding water to prevent hydroplaning. And for this they are very effective, even when worn to the wear bars.

But I must admit that when hydroplaning is not a concern, i.e. the surface is wet but not puddled, the grip is not as good as the F1s.

In summary, the Kumhos are a very good dry traction tire, a good wet traction tire, with very good resistance to hydroplaning but only OK wet grip. Not bad for my needs. But now that the GS-D3 is available in Z06 sizes, that is the direction I'm going for tire set #8.

And as others have already noted, you'd need to run 275s up front instead of 265s. BFD....go for the extra grip.<g> Available thru Tire Rack, Discount, etc.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Default Awesome Responses...

Great responses guys. I came across Toyo T1-R tires, and the price is $788 shipped. Does anyone think these are good? Or any other tire around that price?

Quick Reply: Best Street/Autocross Tires