Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Tow Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After using my Suburban for towing to Topeka and back...in convoy with friends with diesels...I'm never buying another tow vehicle that is not a diesel. Between the sheer grunt, gas mileage and durability, I'm convinced its the only way to go.

As Stan said, the diesel Excursion is a good all arounder. You can get them used w/low miles for under $30,000, since Ford discontinued the model. I'm holding out for a Suburban/Denali with the Dura Max...I may be waiting awhile, but my Suburban only has 40,000 miles, so I've got time...
Old 04-11-2006, 04:23 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have had many tow rigs over the years. Doug trades up every couple of years. By far the best one is his current rig. 3/4 ton Suburban with a 6.0 and 4.10 gears and tune with LS edit. Every time I look down I'm doing 85 with a heavy loaded 26-28 foot enclosed. He has had sway controls, and the two bars that hook to the A-frame. The thing corners like it's on rails.

Randy
Old 04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
nassaufrc
Racer

I used to tow my 30ft enclosed (about 10k with car and tools) with my 04 F250 Powerstroker. It did great...until I found my current tow vehicle. It is the best 19k I ever spent. 37ft, 300hp/over1000lb/ft CAT 10.4 liter Pusher. It is a little old and a little brown, but I can run down the road at 75mph while the family is eating lunch or taking bathroom breaks. Everything is run just like a semi, air brakes, air suspension, air throttle, and air/hydraulic steering. It throws my trailer around like noboby's business. Just don't ask me if my rig is within the legal length

Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Man - SO many great ideas here! But it seems like everyone agrees that the 1500/F150 style is just not hefty enough - for what I have now and for what I might want later...

Chris - Tom also said to go the dually route, which I wasn't sure about, BUT - you make an excellent point that I did not consider... stabilization. Even tho my trailer is open - I get pushed around when those semi's blast past me... maybe I'll see what's out there.

Jeff - I know you traded in your dually for the 2500- can't believe you're getting 15/16mpg! that seems pretty reasonable!

DMwhite... I agree with the overkill statement... the Navigator may be capable, but trust me, it is working hard towing the trailer and all the gear now...just no sense in pushing it that hard...

BPC5R - I like the Excursion... but the diesel version is scarce...what?... did they only make like 100 of these and that's it

One thing I didn't think would be a problem is FINDING one of these heavy duty vehicles... with everyone complaining about gas guzzlers and the price of gas these days, I thought they would be everywhere... WRONG!!!

All of the top recommended vehicles you guys have, the Yukon XL - Denali - Suburban 2500 - ALL are tough to find - used with low miles...

I'm gonna keep looking - maybe Carmax???

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU Some great ideas and things I didn't consider...

I'll let you know what I end up with!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpm30236
Bought a used GMC 4500 topkick with 14k miles, weighed it this weekend on the way back from VIR , 28ft enclosed all aluminium trailer, Z06 , tires/ tools, fuel, 18,900 lbs, total 7200 lbs in trailer alone. This is well below its rated capacity. Had a 1500 quadrateer with 6.0 and supercharger. before as tow vehicle. while it towed well stopping and passing semi's was interesting, also sucked down fuel. 7 and less mpg. Now no problem am able to keep up with the flow of traffic, excellent visibility with the bus style mirrors, Fuel economy about 9-10 mpg towing. Would highly recommend this setup, don't feel nearly as exhausted after a long drive in this rig as before. Cost about the same used as the other options new . Seems many people trade em in because of ride issues they bought em cause they look cool but forget that they are real trucks. look for air seats, cab and consider air suspension.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Corvette55
Instructor

My .02:
I will never tow anything with a gas engine again. I have switched to diesel and will never go back. The diesel gets better milage and much better power. I have a 95 F350 with 196k miles I gave $5k for, its an crew cab with a long bed dulie and F450 rear spings. I pull a 24' enclosed trailer stuffed with gear with ease. I threw out all the load leveler/ sway bar towing crap I needed for my 3/4 ton gas truck.

The truck has a Banks turbo kit (without the intercooler). I get 19mpg unladen and 11 towing. Towed from Tennessee to California and back with no problems last year.

Seriously if you are even thinking of an enclosed trailer do your self a favor and get at least a 1 ton diesel. I like the toter home or big RV diesel rigs.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:02 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would buy a diesel but it gets to -35 here in the winter. They don't like that. The last two diesels that have pick up cars from here had major problems. Mostly fuel issues, and they both had less than 30,000 miles on them. Gas for me!!! Put a maggie on a 6.0 and give those turbo diesels a pull for their money.

Randy
Old 04-13-2006, 07:22 PM
vettmike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
After using my Suburban for towing to Topeka and back...in convoy with friends with diesels...I'm never buying another tow vehicle that is not a diesel. Between the sheer grunt, gas mileage and durability, I'm convinced its the only way to go.

As Stan said, the diesel Excursion is a good all arounder. You can get them used w/low miles for under $30,000, since Ford discontinued the model. I'm holding out for a Suburban/Denali with the Dura Max...I may be waiting awhile, but my Suburban only has 40,000 miles, so I've got time...
We have been towing our 22 foot enclosed trailer for 6 years with our 2000 diesel Excursion, it is the only way to go. The X has 93K miles of which 75K+ has been towing. BTW, still on the original brakes!

Towing with a diesel is the only way to go, and with the interior room in the X we can haul all of our 'stuff' inside.

vettmike
Old 04-13-2006, 07:25 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

After reading the diesel comments from everyone, I started searching - seems alot of people share your positive sentiments... these suckers are really tough to find!!!

I'm gonna keep on the lookout, tho... you all have made some excellent points!!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ERND IT
After reading the diesel comments from everyone, I started searching - seems alot of people share your positive sentiments... these suckers are really tough to find!!!

I'm gonna keep on the lookout, tho... you all have made some excellent points!!
there are 21 diesel excursions currently on ebay. there are also hundereds of diesel trucks. it might be a good place to look.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

diesel is the end of the story for towing.dually is best, 3/4 ton is minimum. stay away from 6.0 Ford diesels before 04. 7.3 Fords are OK all years.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:38 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I check out ebay - pretty good selection, mostly 2000/2001... also someone suggested Carmax. I'll start checking them out, too...

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ERND IT
I check out ebay - pretty good selection, mostly 2000/2001... also someone suggested Carmax. I'll start checking them out, too...

Thanks!

If your talking about an Excusion go to dieselstop.com. I love mine but did put Bilsteins and Helwig sway bars on mine.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:53 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anyone considering the new diesel hybrid that Dodge is supposed to come out with? That sounds appealing to me not only for the milage, but also for the generator aspect at the track.

Secondly, if biodiesel is available in your neck of the woods, take a look at it. I heard that if your diesel is 94 or later, that can be an interesting alternative, now that fuel prices are what they are (and going up).
--Yak

Quick Reply: Opinions on Tow Vehicles