Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found the Source of my VIR "Death Rattle"

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:46 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Found the Source of my VIR "Death Rattle"

I finally got to working on the ZO6 today - it has set forlorn in the garage with Hoosiers on it since VIR . Jake, Josh and I swapped on the new Kumho street tires, bled the brakes, checked fasteners, etc.

Then I went looking for the rattle that sounded like an exhaust leak or fan obstruction when coming out of the Tree at VIR under full throttle. Went under the car, checked the wheel wells, looked under the hood, checked the seats, etc. - nothing .

Then when I took it out to heat cycle the new tires I found the problem - my shift **** lock nut had come loose and would rattle under full throttle when my hand was not on the shifter . Without a helmet on I was able to find it right away

Needless to say it was a cheap fix and quite embarrassing :o when it comes down to it...
Old 12-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by varkwso
I finally got to working on the ZO6 today - it has set forlorn in the garage with Hoosiers on it since VIR . Jake, Josh and I swapped on the new Kumho street tires, bled the brakes, checked fasteners, etc.

Then I went looking for the rattle that sounded like an exhaust leak or fan obstruction when coming out of the Tree at VIR under full throttle. Went under the car, checked the wheel wells, looked under the hood, checked the seats, etc. - nothing .

Then when I took it out to heat cycle the new tires I found the problem - my shift **** lock nut had come loose and would rattle under full throttle when my hand was not on the shifter . Without a helmet on I was able to find it right away

Needless to say it was a cheap fix and quite embarrassing :o when it comes down to it...
But you found it
Heck, I had slow throttle responce on my p/u........in less than 4 hours today....a set of these

and nice Y pipe to go with it and it was muchhhhhhhh better
Have a safe New year & Happy Christmas with the family
Old 12-24-2005, 07:32 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE
But you found it
Heck, I had slow throttle responce on my p/u........in less than 4 hours today....a set of these

and nice Y pipe to go with it and it was muchhhhhhhh better
Have a safe New year & Happy Christmas with the family

Very nice - my Suburban (and especially the 95 Bronco) could use some of those....

Have a great Christmas and New Year - I am sure Julie will get plenty of car stuff since that is all she asked for....

Get notified of new replies

To Found the Source of my VIR "Death Rattle"

Quick Reply: Found the Source of my VIR "Death Rattle"