Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Specs for C3 Road Racer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 AM
toy350
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Specs for C3 Road Racer

I have a 1973 road race car that I need to get aligned. I was curious what camber, caster and toe some of you run on your race cars.

I run slicks (27x14x16 rear) and (27x13x16 front).

Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 07:37 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I race a C2 (same chassis) and run the following alignment specs: Front 11/2 degrees neg camber, 21/2 degree pos caster, 1/16" toe-out
Rear 11/2 degrees neg camber, 1/16" (total) toe-in

Please note that I ran considerably more negative camber but ate up tires. I recently used a tire pyrometer to adjust camber for even tire temperatures across the tred surface, and ended up with these.
These specs will get you in the ballpark, and allow you to adjust for your personal style, and the track. You can try more aggressive settings if you're only running autocross.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

And I would NEVER run "toe out"!!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:36 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by toy350
I have a 1973 road race car that I need to get aligned. I was curious what camber, caster and toe some of you run on your race cars.

I run slicks (27x14x16 rear) and (27x13x16 front).

Thanks
Alot of your alignment settings will depend on your spring rates. I don't run full slicks, and my springs are relatively soft (cut 550's in front and 420 lb composite rear). Use a pyrometer to get your camber settings, you probably will want to max out your caster positive without sacrificing your camber, and your toe settings in particular will be based on your driving style and preference. C3's have a lot of bump steer and running super stiff springs will minimze that but will sacrifice mechanical grip. Running more static toe-in in the rear will reduce the squirm under hard braking due to toe-change as the suspension unloads. In front, some toe out helps initial turn in, but with bump steer it can make the car nervous in the corner, so probably for the tracks you can run a little toe-in and it will feel more stable on the straights. My alignment settings are for autocross and are probably a little too agressive camber-wise for a road race setup, and I'm not sure how they would work with full slicks. That said I run about 2.5 and 2 neg camber f/r, and about 1/8" toe in f/r. Not too sure what my caster is right now, but the car handles pretty good.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Specs for C3 Road Racer

Quick Reply: Alignment Specs for C3 Road Racer