Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire transportation options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire transportation options?

First, I'm going to be switching from street tires to Kumho V710s next spring, so I'm going to need a way to get them to and from the track.

I talked to harbor freight and although they have a very nice trailer, it’s not worth the cost of shipping it to Germany so I was looking to pick up something similar locally. The only problem I've run into is that I'm told you are only allowed to do 80km/h when towing a trailer in Germany turning a short 45min-1hr drive to about 2hrs, so I started looking into other options

I found A Tire Tail for a Miata, S2K, and Subaru, but nothing for a Vette. Does anyone know of something like that for the Vette? Even if it only holds 2 tires, I'm sure i could fit the other 2 in the car and be fine

As I see it, I've got 3 options

1. Live with driving only 80km/h on an unlimited autobahn every time I go AutoXing

2. Find something like a tire tale for the Vette.

3. Would a standard cargo carrier fit like this fit on a Vette?

I would prefer option 2 if someone can point me in the right direction. This avoids the slow speeds to and from the track, any problems with tail lights, wiring, and potential hassles with getting the trailer registered.

Also, I think I'm going to go with a Draw-Tite Hitch. It seems to be the best deal. Does anyone have any positive/negative feedback on these?

BTW: if anyone is looking for a nice trailer and doesn't mind spending some $$$ I found this and it looks really nice http://sstrailers.com/racetrailer1.htm
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

What about getting some nice tire bags?

I have scene people with C5's actually fit 2 tires in the passenger seat and 2 in the back. The tire bags would keep them from getting the interior messy.

I don't know if the rear frame on a C5 is aluminum like my C4. I have a trailer hitch on my, but I try not to exceed a tongue weight of about 80 lbs. The hitch says its limited to 300lb, but the 4 bolts in an aluminum frame make me wonder if it could handle a tongue weight of 300lbs...
Old 11-08-2005, 04:19 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qwik96GS
What about getting some nice tire bags?

I have scene people with C5's actually fit 2 tires in the passenger seat and 2 in the back. The tire bags would keep them from getting the interior messy.

I don't know if the rear frame on a C5 is aluminum like my C4. I have a trailer hitch on my, but I try not to exceed a tongue weight of about 80 lbs. The hitch says its limited to 300lb, but the 4 bolts in an aluminum frame make me wonder if it could handle a tongue weight of 300lbs...
I can wedge two front tire/wheels into the ZO6 - one in the front seat -one on the deck area - and it is TIGHT. The rear may fit in the front seat but I cannot see how to get one onto the deck. It makes any other track gear a real problem - not to mention a passenger...
Old 11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,403 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by qwik96GS
I have seen people with C5's actually fit 2 tires in the passenger seat and 2 in the back. The tire bags would keep them from getting the interior messy..
Not near as messy as the interior will be in an accident with 50-60 pound blunt objects flying from the passenger seat!

Plus that'll only work for stock C5 tire sizes in a FRC/Z06; any wider and they won't fit.

If I find some references to some tire tails I'll post them here.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

One of the competitors at the Solo II Nationals this year had two rear tires mounted on a "Tire Tail" (four won't fit because of width issues) and the two fronts in the trunk area of the car. Worked fine, evidently.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe silverz06 will chime in, but I believe I have seen him fit 4 track tires in the car. I could not believe how much stuff he could pack in. He puts them in garbage bags, and I believe one on the passenger floorboard, one in the passenger seat, and two in the trunk area.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

You can fit 2 275's on 9 1/2's, (nothing larger than 275's will fit) 2 315's on 10 1/2's, a jack, a tool box, a 5 gallon air bottle, a helmet bag ( with helmet), 2 small ice chests and a duffel bag with 5 days of clothes in a Z06.

Edit: And a flight case with shoes and other needed items
Old 11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Blackmon
You can fit 2 275's on 9 1/2's, (nothing larger than 275's will fit) 2 315's on 10 1/2's, a jack, a tool box, a 5 gallon air bottle, a helmet bag ( with helmet), 2 small ice chests and a duffel bag with 5 days of clothes in a Z06.

Edit: And a flight case with shoes and other needed items

Wow - I am impressed
Old 11-08-2005, 08:48 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Lancer... your right thats a really nice track day trailer.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I would feel real uncomfortable with four of our tires (over 100 lbs if you include the hardware) hanging way out behind the car on the hitch. The problem there isn't the weight, the hitch can handle that, it is the overhung moment, hanging the weight (on average) more than a foot behind the car.

If you went to a good machine shop they could make a rack that would hold two (the rear tires) up behind the car (kinda like a flat dual continetal kit with the two tires flush against the back of the car). Then the overhung load would be well within what the hitch could do and you could put the two fronts in the back of the car. Might even be able to see the tail lights from there, but you might still have to remotely mount the rear plate.

Between the bins in the back and the area inside of the wheels (I used to have some round plastic bins that fit great in the wheels) you could probably pack the car and have the passenger seat open too....
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I e-mailed the guys that make the TireTail, and they've sent me a form to have one custom made. Depending on the price, it looks like I'll be able to go this route

They also agreed that I wouldn't be able to fit 4 tires on it, So I'll just be putting the rear tires out back and the front tires in the cars. This will fit no problem and still leave me with enough room for tools and such.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:50 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

I autoX and track my car regularly so i made this.

http://www.robsherrard.com/will.html

Originally i used stock C5 wheels/tires (will allow the hatch to close). Now i use 710's in 315 on 11" wheels. Total weight of each tire is 60lbs so i don't put on more than 2. The other 2 fit in the hatch and i bungy cord the last 2" (will not close). All the rest of my gear fits in the hatch; helmet, air, jack, stands, extra tool box, clothes; all behind the harness bar. Nothing goes in the passenger seat other than the wife.

Hitch is a Drawtite and rated at 200lbs tongue.

If i load allot of gear i will RAISE the rear ride height 2 full turns, then lower for the event, and raise for the ride home.

Works great.

It is made of 1 1/4" box steel that i had welded into a rectange with a center piece coming out. Fits directly into a 1 1/4" reciever with regular pin.

I looked into the tire tail but i didn't like how it blocked the lisence plate.

Will
Old 11-11-2005, 07:01 PM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lancer033
3. Would a standard cargo carrier fit like this fit on a Vette?
At a local HPDE I saw a Boxter that the owner had fabed up a deal like that which attached to a luggage rack typed deal over the rear deck. So he had to take it all down off when he got to the track but it seemed to work pretty good and he was able to get 4 wheel and tires on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire transportation options?

Quick Reply: Tire transportation options?