Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmpartsdirect.com?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:00 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gmpartsdirect.com?

I ordered a pair of T1 stabar end links for my car on May 25th...still don't have them. I sent an email to gmpartsdirect last Monday and was told they would ship the "next day"...they didn't. I'm sending another email to them today to ask for status.

Anyone else have long delays on parts shipping with these guys? This is the first time I've used them.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not used them yet but I've heard of this multiple times.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I ordered a set of ceramic pads for the street from them (pads suck, but no dust) - didn't have any problems with the transaction though.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:14 PM
nassaufrc
Racer

I was going to order T-1 bars from them, but decided to go with LAPD because GMPARTSDIRECT did not have a phone contact number. It seems a little risky not talking to someone. I found out the rear bar was severly backordered nationwide. I would have never known this from gmpartsdirect. Just my thoughts, they probably work fine.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:34 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time go with Gene at Fred Beans

Better price shipped and you can call him.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:58 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

A few weeks ago, I ordered a set of OEM rear brake rotors from them. 11 days later, no rotors and no word from them. I emailed to say "if these parts have not been shipped, please cancel my order." Next day, I got an email saying "order canceled." No further explanation.

As I recall, a year or two ago, these folks were fairly responsive. They must be under new management, or something. I'll never deal with them again - that's for sure.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
kaiser
Instructor

Default gmpartsdirect.com

I waited nearly 3 weeks for a shift cable from those clowns, earlier this spring. Unable to get any info from partsdirect I got frustrated and called Superior Chevrolet. Superior was about the same price, and I had my cable in 3 days. Now I have a spare, and it will be a cold day in h*** before I order from partsdirect again.

Avoid them. (Their site is good to check part numbers though.)
Old 06-13-2005, 10:02 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Final update:
I did receive an email from them, with a tracking number for DHL...with the sender of the parts being a Chevy dealer! So, in effect, I paid these gmpartsdirect.com to "broker" the purchase of $90 in parts and waited almost a month for them? F-that noise.
I'm not impressed with the turnaround, service or high "shipping" costs. I'll be talking to my local Chevy dealer about working a "good guy" discount and buying my future oem parts in person, not online.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:12 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Next time go with Gene at Fred Beans

Better price shipped and you can call him.
I agree. Very happy with Fred Beans transactions.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:17 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
I did receive an email from them, with a tracking number for DHL...with the sender of the parts being a Chevy dealer!
Yep. They have a good domain name, but if you look at the bottom of the page, you'll see that they're simply a Chevy dealer (Flow Chevrolet) selling parts online...
Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerdrvr
Final update:
I did receive an email from them, with a tracking number for DHL...with the sender of the parts being a Chevy dealer! So, in effect, I paid these gmpartsdirect.com to "broker" the purchase of $90 in parts and waited almost a month for them? F-that noise.
I'm not impressed with the turnaround, service or high "shipping" costs. I'll be talking to my local Chevy dealer about working a "good guy" discount and buying my future oem parts in person, not online.
It's a shame that you are not closer to Cincinnati.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:17 AM
drbenne
Instructor

Not too happy to hear about the delays in GMpartsdirect as I am waiting on a wheel filler body part. Ordered it several weeks ago without any response. I have used them in the past and had good experiences. I will start the process of tracking down my order status.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Jaymz
Pro

It took me about 3 1/2 weeks to get two front brake calipers. Two years ago I would of had them within the week. Something is messed up with that company. I doubt that I'll buy from them again.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:43 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jaymz
It took me about 3 1/2 weeks to get two front brake calipers. Two years ago I would of had them within the week. Something is messed up with that company. I doubt that I'll buy from them again.
I ordered a set of export C5 head lamps. I recieved a email telling me it would be three weeks because of a back order. Got them four weeks later.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:25 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I e-mailed them politely asking about my order and casually mentioned that my car was undriveable with the parts I ordered.

Their response was: "We ship in stock items in 5-7 business days." Of course, I don't know if my parts are in stock or not, and either way 7 business days to pick up a part, put it in a box, and have UPS pick it up is asinine.

I won't buy from them again.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:32 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

I got my T1 end links today...three weeks after the order date.

I'm going local for oem and to quality vendors for the rest. I'm used to service like TireRack, where I can have a set of tires the next day. In the current e-commerce environment, an operation like gmpartsdirect is just not a player, IMHO.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:53 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

They run on very thin overhead. Depending on the item, the shipped price can be much lower than what your local dealer will do.

Once the dealer close to me owed me big time for not reporting their screw-ups to GM. (I have a few connections ). I asked if they would sell me some interior panels for cost to make me feel better. They agreed but their so called cost was still about 5-7% higher than GMPartsDirect's shipped price. When I showed them a printout of the GMPD shopping cart page they could not believe the price. The guy muttered something about them using their volume shrinkage reserve to sell for that price.

Anyway I have had both good and bad luck with parts availability for GMPD but they always answer my emails within a couple of days and cancel the order when items are on back order.

Another good option is CF supporting dealer Ken Fitchner. The prices are a bit higher than GMPD but the support is fantastic.

If I am in a hurry I go to the local dealer and pay the price. They will search the country to find me the part and get it overnighted in as long as I pay the freight.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

^Well, that gives better perspective. Maybe I ordered without realistic expectations of their operation and what they really offer, in terms of a service. Still, I don't order stuff I don't need right away and I'd prefer to work with less, not more, parts suppliers/vendors, so I guess gmpartsdirect just doesn't work for me.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:54 PM
DOCTOR J
Burning Brakes

A couple of years ago gmpd was a quality operation. Lately they seem to have
outsourced their service & sales to the land of 'We-don't-give-a-shoit-about-you'.

There are plenty of other sources who will go out of their way to be helpful and
deliver an order promptly - I personally swear by Superior Chev in KC. They
always answer my requests (no matter how weird) and never over-promise
what they can do. Good people to work with.

Get notified of new replies

To gmpartsdirect.com?

Quick Reply: gmpartsdirect.com?