Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Classifieds Post your For Sale or Wanted Autocrossing & Roadracing parts here.

WTB: Big Brake kit for C5-work and play

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Armycop
two drivers/one car.
Isn't that a website?

Nevermind. I am confusing it with a different one...
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

One more from my seat:

I'm not 100% certain of the fit here but the W6A front caliper kit combined with the 13.4" disc just 'might' fit inside the 17" wheel. Going to be close. And like the aforementioned FNSL6 kit you can later up size to the 14" stock rotor. The W6A fits a number of the popular pads and compounds from a number of suppliers, has close to 10% more cubic friction material than the 7420 and over 20% more than the 7416 of the FNSL6 idea via a larger surface area.

Not keen so much on the W6A? Ok, take a trip over to the new Aero6 with the all inclusive forged bridge. Jury is out on the fact that you have to remove the caliper to service the pads but for those who wanted a stiff bridged product, unhappy with the open nature of the W6A your calls have been answered. *Both by the way can be had in thermlock piston form as well for yet greater heat rejection and nickel finish. **The Aero6 has a slightly higher yet (.080") bridge clearance requirement than the W6A.

Once again here; a kit that grows with you. And does so on the "disposable rotor" format that many like- cheap blanks used up and tossed out. I think someone mentioned the affordability of 2pc rotors and only having to replace 'ring' vs one piece. I'm not totally sold on that plan. A replacement ring of $250-300ea (plus the hardware- often not mentioned) is still a pretty costly deal balanced against the $50 Autozone part. Yes there's a cost to service life and yes there are some inherent benefits of the 2pc. Whether they balance out is open for debate. The W6A and Aero6 kits can also be later fit with 2pc hats/rotors including the full floating T-nut set up found in the race kit. You are not married to the 1pc rotors.

Going to the rear of the car; take the same path and run my FNSL4 rear Caliper Kit on the 13.4" Z06 rear rotor. Retain the parking brake, get ample rotor mass and keep the costs down. Again paired with your favorite supplier of oe rotors. Add the thermlocks and even the nickel plate if you want something more durable than red.

Base cost for such things: $1719 all inclusive, to the door. You supply the rotors. Track pads, thermlocks, nickel plate all options.

And yes the AERO6 can be fit to any W6A kit, no extra cost.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Todd TCE; 04-17-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Noted that the option later for 2pc hats and rotors are a direct fit.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Go with the AP kit and never look back. Your boy Lee runs them and as I progress, I plan on purchasing the AP kit next year. So an emergency set of pads or rotors will be available from others at the track if you're in a bind.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that the stock brakes and some HP+ pads are the way to go. I would check that setup out.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted to track
I heard that the stock brakes and some HP+ pads are the way to go. I would check that setup out.
if my car weighed under 2000lbs and was completely stripped, I would...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
One more from my seat:

I'm not 100% certain of the fit here but the W6A front caliper kit combined with the 13.4" disc just 'might' fit inside the 17" wheel. Going to be close. And like the aforementioned FNSL6 kit you can later up size to the 14" stock rotor. The W6A fits a number of the popular pads and compounds from a number of suppliers, has close to 10% more cubic friction material than the 7420 and over 20% more than the 7416 of the FNSL6 idea via a larger surface area.

Not keen so much on the W6A? Ok, take a trip over to the new Aero6 with the all inclusive forged bridge. Jury is out on the fact that you have to remove the caliper to service the pads but for those who wanted a stiff bridged product, unhappy with the open nature of the W6A your calls have been answered. *Both by the way can be had in thermlock piston form as well for yet greater heat rejection and nickel finish. **The Aero6 has a slightly higher yet (.080") bridge clearance requirement than the W6A.

Once again here; a kit that grows with you. And does so on the "disposable rotor" format that many like- cheap blanks used up and tossed out. I think someone mentioned the affordability of 2pc rotors and only having to replace 'ring' vs one piece. I'm not totally sold on that plan. A replacement ring of $250-300ea (plus the hardware- often not mentioned) is still a pretty costly deal balanced against the $50 Autozone part. Yes there's a cost to service life and yes there are some inherent benefits of the 2pc. Whether they balance out is open for debate. The W6A and Aero6 kits can also be later fit with 2pc hats/rotors including the full floating T-nut set up found in the race kit. You are not married to the 1pc rotors.

Going to the rear of the car; take the same path and run my FNSL4 rear Caliper Kit on the 13.4" Z06 rear rotor. Retain the parking brake, get ample rotor mass and keep the costs down. Again paired with your favorite supplier of oe rotors. Add the thermlocks and even the nickel plate if you want something more durable than red.

Base cost for such things: $1719 all inclusive, to the door. You supply the rotors. Track pads, thermlocks, nickel plate all options.

And yes the AERO6 can be fit to any W6A kit, no extra cost.
Todd,

Can the J-hook rotors in 14" be used with your Wilwoods?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Todd,

Can the J-hook rotors in 14" be used with your Wilwoods?
Wilwood's rotor are most all 12 x 8.75 bolt circle and some 12 x 9.18 bc with 1/4" holes.

If you wanted that style of slots you could have them made by Coleman I suspect to a different bolt circle if needed. Not sure they have that "style" in their arsenal but I'm sure it could be done.

Probably need to update this file but here some fun with gas slots
I've seen a few new "better way" ones the past few years that are missing
Old 04-19-2014, 05:40 AM
FRC Z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 6-piston 14" AP kit for sale along with the bracketry needed to move your front calipers to the rear (with rotors). PM if you're interested. Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 AM
FRC Z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a compelling arguement there Todd. I'll have to consult with my co-pilot, but he's leaning towards the Wilwoods because of previous experience with them. I'm in the AP camp because I've seen them in action this past weekend...as the cars they were on bombed me in every turn
Responded to your PM. For what it's worth, I've run the following:

Wilwood 13"/13" 6/4 piston kit with two-piece rotors
Stoptech 14"/14" ST-60/ST-40 kit
AP 14" 6/4 Piston kit (not on my personal car though)

Feel free to shoot me a call and I'd be more than happy to express my personal thoughts & feedback on each. Although I loved the Wilwoods as an entry level kit, they leave A LOT to be desired as you progressively grow as a vehicle and a driver. I sure didn't enjoy making that purchase twice to find that out
Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FRC Z51

Wilwood 13"/13" 6/4 piston kit with two-piece rotors
Stoptech 14"/14" ST-60/ST-40 kit
AP 14" 6/4 Piston kit (not on my personal car though)

Although I loved the Wilwoods as an entry level kit, they leave A LOT to be desired as you progressively grow as a vehicle and a driver. I sure didn't enjoy making that purchase twice to find that out

I won't fully disagree with you at all. But I note the kit you had was both the 13/13 set up and based upon the BSL6/4 calipers. Both the later kits you mention being 14/14 and with larger body calipers. It's a bit apples to oranges to some degree comparing them.

But...the request was also for fitting them into 17" wheels which, brand aside, eliminates the later two you've listed above. I too went on to note that the "preferred" kits would be either the larger 14/14 kits with W6A or even Aeoro6 calipers with stock one piece or full on 2pc hats and rotors. Neither of which again will fit with the OPs requested 17s still.

I think my original reply/suggestion remains valid for the 17s but I'm in total agreement that there are better choices across the board here if he's willing to go to 18s.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
I won't fully disagree with you at all. But I note the kit you had was both the 13/13 set up and based upon the BSL6/4 calipers. Both the later kits you mention being 14/14 and with larger body calipers. It's a bit apples to oranges to some degree comparing them.

But...the request was also for fitting them into 17" wheels which, brand aside, eliminates the later two you've listed above. I too went on to note that the "preferred" kits would be either the larger 14/14 kits with W6A or even Aeoro6 calipers with stock one piece or full on 2pc hats and rotors. Neither of which again will fit with the OPs requested 17s still.

I think my original reply/suggestion remains valid for the 17s but I'm in total agreement that there are better choices across the board here if he's willing to go to 18s.
..and I have no opinion on either setup since I've never experienced them on my car! I have revised my setup though (see corrected first post) and am looking for a 14/14" setup. I've got several responses from members who are selling used setups in that configuration; it's now a matter of choosing which is most economical for me.
An off the shelf AP kit in 14/14 is $2600, which is out of my price range. The Wilwood fronts only kit i $1600; better still, but researching this board and other corvette-specific boards is showing a trend of Wilwoods being the "entry-level" kit, with many drivers stepping into AP's or Stoptech's. Why? Don't know, the research continues...
Old 04-20-2014, 05:13 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

In the long run the 14/14 is still your best or at least far better option than doing 13/13 regardless of brand. It'll be money well spent for durability.

Doing it 'on the cheap' would lead me to the caliper kits on stock rotors. All four corners still come in under $1800. For others you'll pay more than that yet for one axle...albeit a better rotor kit for sure.

A wiser move on the diameter.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Default Bought Wilwoods

I bought a full set of Wilwood Superlites from a local forum member, who was kind enough to include all this, so now I've got to find some C5 polished 5-spokes in 18" to run on the front during street driving.
Thanks again to all who offered their sets, and to the vendors and members who educated me along the way!
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a full set of Wilwood Superlites from a local forum member, who was kind enough to include all this, so now I've got to find some C5 polished 5-spokes in 18" to run on the front during street driving.
Thanks again to all who offered their sets, and to the vendors and members who educated me along the way!
I've got the wheels you need. Want to wrestle for them?

Ken
Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by bb69
I've got the wheels you need. Want to wrestle for them?

Ken
Hell yes fozzy bear!! Gravity bested me last time. U shall not have that advantage again. We are talking about 18" thin spokes right? Price? Condition?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hell yes fozzy bear!! Gravity bested me last time. U shall not have that advantage again. We are talking about 18" thin spokes right? Price? Condition?
18" thin spokes. I was running those 295 A6's that were on clearance last year. I have four of them, but I would like to keep two. Come out to The Pit on May 4th and I can bring them with me so you can take a look.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by bb69
18" thin spokes. I was running those 295 A6's that were on clearance last year. I have four of them, but I would like to keep two. Come out to The Pit on May 4th and I can bring them with me so you can take a look.
You got it. I'll see ya there.

Quick Reply: WTB: Big Brake kit for C5-work and play