Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Got Mine yesterday. Just thought it might be of interest to many of you - Bill Thomas

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 06:01 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Got Mine yesterday. Just thought it might be of interest to many of you - Bill Thomas

I posted this message on the PNW Forum, but thought it might be of interest to many of the rest of you. Pretty Eclectic,but isn't that what collecting is all about?

After months of corresponding and advising my friends at Replicarz with Fred Yeakel I just received this model of the Alan Green, owned Bill Thomas Cheetah. It's beautiful in 1/18-scale and given the limited appeal is made of resin and made in very small quantities by Replicarz in Vermont. I understand only 150 examples of this were produced. Most pre-sold.

https://www.replicarz.com/1964-Cheet...ctinfo/R18907/

Seattle Chevrolet dealer Alan Green had 4 of these Cobra challengers, one having been destroyed, one modified (hah!) for street use and the others for road racing. I'm hoping Replicarz will eventually produce some of the other versions, like the red #8 car still seen at Vintage Race venues..

The names on the doors include local racers, Larry Webb and Gary Grove. Very nice touch...

This is about as eclectic as you can get, and it's a sealed body without opening features. (Did you think Burago might build these and sell them at Toys' r Us)? If you collect model cars or so much as remember Alan Green, Larry Webb and Gary Gove (who raced in CanAm for Pete Lovely's team) Thias is a must.

If you don;t know about Alan Green, Larry Webb or Gary Gove, among others, then save your money. BTW, another manufacturer also made replicas of the Alan Green TransAm Camaro.

I just happen to be aware on this PNW Forum that a lot of you do remember these days on the west coast.

Wow!

Last edited by last901; 11-30-2019 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJ Dep (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 10:41 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

VERY cool!!! Only other ones I have seen are the tiny Hot Wheels versions. And not very often. But $249 stops me cold. I have to have an opening hood and doors for that price. Plus I would like the red version. I remember a long time ago seeing one on display at the hot rod show at McCormick Place in Chicago. Totally awesome. I just picked up the Bill Thomas/ 1968 Nickey Camaro diecast off E-Bay.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:34 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DJ Dep
VERY cool!!! Only other ones I have seen are the tiny Hot Wheels versions. And not very often. But $249 stops me cold. I have to have an opening hood and doors for that price. Plus I would like the red version. I remember a long time ago seeing one on display at the hot rod show at McCormick Place in Chicago. Totally awesome. I just picked up the Bill Thomas/ 1968 Nickey Camaro diecast off E-Bay.
You raise an interesting point with regard to opening doors and other features. I'm not an expert on the subject (maybe somebody on the forum can advise me) but a lot of 1/18-scale and larger models lately are being produced in resin in lieu of die-cast metal. I believe this is due to the lower cost of tooling for a resin model, where die-cast tooling is quite expensive. Most - if not all - models with opening features are of die-cast metal. The resin models do not lend themselves to opening features and are generally produced in smaller quantities.

The opening features tend to make for an interesting model, but are relatively expensive. IMHO an example of a quality die-cast with these features are the models produced by CMC. They are beautiful, but retail for around $500 or more. Good resin models, as you've mentioned sell for less than half that and some really good ones made by, say, CMR, are very nice, but usually limited in the number built. I enjoy both types in my collection, but I find that without the opening features, the detail on the resin models is typically very very good. The die-cast models, if you were to scale up the gaps between the body panels would have you think the real car must have had 6" wide gaps between the body and doors.

I also find the resin models to be much less expensive and, ask yourself, are you really going to take your model out of the display case or cabinet just to show admiring friends how the doors and other parts open and close? Nothing wrong with that of course I just prefer high crisp detail to my models over the usually more costly moving parts, but, as I say, I have both types.

Thanks, though, for bringing that up. It sounds like you have a nice collection and with a theme. I beleive Replicarz will release more exmples of the Cheetah. Alan Green also had a red one that races in the vintage events. Of course, like the green one, it's likely to have race numbers on the car.

Happy collecting...
DJ Dep (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 04:43 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the resin models go for much more than the diecasts. For instance, I was able to get a brand new in the box Shelby 427 S/C diecast with opening doors, trunk, and hood for less than $50 from Diecast Wholesalers. It is VERY detailed. Here's a pic. You are correct about the seams on the doors having somewhat large gaps. This is so the parts don't rub and wear the paint off. But it's pretty cool to raise the hood and see a Holley carb with ram air hood adapter and all the wiring and stuff. There's just no way the wifey would let me live in the house after buying a diecast for $250.
I attached a couple of pics of the Nickey/Bill Thomas Camaro. It cost me $59. It is the pride of my collection. Pretty wild that they even have the AC Delco battery and a window washer tank 1/2 full of fluid.

Dep

Last edited by DJ Dep; 12-19-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:01 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Those are great models. Your point is well taken.

I think the primary rule of collecting anything, especially model cars, is to buy only what you like, or that tells a story about yourself, Can't go too far wriong at that. I've not seen that Camaro before. Truly appreciate that you pointed out the detail on the battery.

DJ Dep (12-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Got Mine yesterday. Just thought it might be of interest to many of you - Bill Thomas

Quick Reply: Got Mine yesterday. Just thought it might be of interest to many of you - Bill Thomas