Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Local Stores with Diecast Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Local Stores with Diecast Cars?

Well boys and girls, after a trip to the mall and Toy's R Us I'm a bit disappointed. I remember as a kid going to either of these places and being able to pick and choose between the large selection that was on hand at these stores but that is not the case these days unfortunately. Does anyone of a store that at least carries a decent selection of diecast cars?

I'm located in Austin, TX, does anyone know of a hobby shop in nearby that would carry diecast? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Stopped at Toys r' Us past Thursday and was disappointed in the small amount of 1/64 available...and the M2's are "pricey"
I don't even BOTHER wasting my time anymore lookin' for Johnny Lightning, M2, etc. at K-Mart & Wally-Mart anymore; all THEY have is the crappy models from the "CARS" movies & Hot Wheels
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 AM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The days of walking in a TRU, Kaybee (RIP) etc. for 1/18 diecast are history. Only places for reasonable priced diecast are Sams Club, Costco and BJ's and that would only be Maisto and Yatming. Sure miss the hunt for Ertl chase cars and new releases when the boxes were coming right off the truck.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely a bummer, but it is what it is.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:31 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MARKRUBYRED
The days of walking in a TRU, Kaybee (RIP) etc. for 1/18 diecast are history. Only places for reasonable priced diecast are Sams Club, Costco and BJ's and that would only be Maisto and Yatming. Sure miss the hunt for Ertl chase cars and new releases when the boxes were coming right off the truck.
At least 5 years ago or more you could go to TRU and get ERTL 1:18 at great prices even some limited and chase cars. Now nevermore
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try stopping in at a Walgreens or Wallmart.
I have found quite a few Vettes at walgreens.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65convt
Try stopping in at a Walgreens or Wallmart.
I have found quite a few Vettes at walgreens.
I no longer collect because my house is over run with Corvettes and muscle cars, and sports cars.
In fact I was thinking of making some more room by selling some.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Vanity Bob Plates
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Several weeks ago saw best collection around here at a Mikes Hobbies, or such, Don't believe name changed. Been there quite a few years. Just do not frequent it.
Walmart and the rest had zilch. Economy and X box has taken over.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems that most diecast distributors are now selling on line direct. It has been very hard as you say, to find decent 1/18 scale cars in any of the regular stores anymore. There are still a few specialty shops that still seem to have nice diecast, but prices are getting high and most of these hobby stores appears that thier days maybe numbered as well. There doesn't seem to be the passion for hobby collectors, like there use to be, and that is making it hard for todays hobby shops to stay open. Maybe it is a new life, youth thing and no interest, who knows for sure.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldsarge
It seems that most diecast distributors are now selling on line direct. It has been very hard as you say, to find decent 1/18 scale cars in any of the regular stores anymore. There are still a few specialty shops that still seem to have nice diecast, but prices are getting high and most of these hobby stores appears that thier days maybe numbered as well. There doesn't seem to be the passion for hobby collectors, like there use to be, and that is making it hard for todays hobby shops to stay open. Maybe it is a new life, youth thing and no interest, who knows for sure.
Then for those of us that want to sell our collection will also have a difficult time.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Vanity Bob Plates
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After searching there are still some old time and probably some youngsters looking to buy. On one of the sites one guy sold his whole collection a number of months ago to one guy.
Read like high dollar. Lots of vehicles I suppose.
Like the real hot rods and kustoms their still being built.
Quantity of everything is mind boggling. Well mine anyway.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON
Then for those of us that want to sell our collection will also have a difficult time.
I don't know about others, but myself, my collection, would probably never be sold by me. I made my collection to enjoy, while I am still alive. More than likely, it will be handed down between my son and my grandson. If they don't have any iterest, which I hope doesn't happen. They show some interest now, but who knows. It won't matter much to me by then, because I will be 6 feet under, and they will do what they want.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I don't know about others, but myself, my collection, would probably never be sold by me. I made my collection to enjoy, while I am still alive. More than likely, it will be handed down between my son and my grandson. If they don't have any iterest, which I hope doesn't happen. They show some interest now, but who knows. It won't matter much to me by then, because I will be 6 feet under, and they will do what they want.
I was just thinking of making more room in house.
Do you keep your boxes for GMP, Kyosho, ERTL, Hot Wheels, Green Light Collectibles, and chase cars or any of the limited production 1:18 diecast?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

I was just thinking of making more room in house.
Do you keep your boxes for GMP, Kyosho, ERTL, Hot Wheels, Green Light Collectibles, and chase cars or any of the limited production 1:18 diecast?
I keep all the 1:18, 1/24; 1/25 boxes. I have friends who are Master Sellers on e-bay, dealing with Lionel trains; they get MORE $$ for EMPTY Lionel engines & car BOXES than they do for the actual engines & cars!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:17 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I recently noticed that Hobby Lobby sells Greenlight Collectables.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cruzmeisters
I keep all the 1:18, 1/24; 1/25 boxes. I have friends who are Master Sellers on e-bay, dealing with Lionel trains; they get MORE $$ for EMPTY Lionel engines & car BOXES than they do for the actual engines & cars!
Do you keep any of your cars in boxes like some collectors do still wrapped up and sealed in box?

I have removed all of my cars from their boxes for more enjoyment and for display purposes.

I'ts a challenge to keep them clean and free of dust. I have some in 3 big curio cabinets but the dust still manages to get in.

The cars I have out in the open get very dusty and sometimes caked with dust.

I have also kept the boxes up in the attic but there are so many and they may have got damaged being in a garage that's not insulated.
Plastic and cardboard tend to break apart very easy in this kind of environment over the years.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Unfortunately for me, however, I don't have any children to pass them on to (got married fairly late in life). I can picture some court-appointed, estate sale manager looking at my die-cast Chaparrals, McLarens, GT40s, and Corvettes, and thinking, "Why would some grown man have a bunch of toy cars"??

Get notified of new replies

To Local Stores with Diecast Cars?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

I have all my cars on display in closed cabinets. I also keep all the boxes that they came in. I have quite a few of huge boxes that carry all my boxes for the cars, and yes they do take up a lot of space in my basement.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Do you keep any of your cars in boxes like some collectors do still wrapped up and sealed in box?

I have removed all of my cars from their boxes for more enjoyment and for display purposes.

I'ts a challenge to keep them clean and free of dust. I have some in 3 big curio cabinets but the dust still manages to get in.

The cars I have out in the open get very dusty and sometimes caked with dust.

I have also kept the boxes up in the attic but there are so many and they may have got damaged being in a garage that's not insulated.
Plastic and cardboard tend to break apart very easy in this kind of environment over the years.
I have 1:18's & Jim Beam's "out of boxes" on display atop a 5-shelf rack in the garage, with the empty boxes in storage in the attic (LS WON's post has me re-thinking, but there's NO (full-basement) storage in a split-level home. SIXTY-EIGHT 1:18's are stacked atop a wood frame that encloses the Vette when it's rolled under for Winter storage,
A buddy built the frame so that the '62 - on dollies - slides under it with 1 1/2" clearance from the hard top to the bottom of the frame and 22" clearance between the top of the frame and the garage ceiling.
When "AMES" stores went out of business, I bought the racks & hangers that are typically used to display M2, Johnny Lightning, Hot Wheels, etc. 1:64 die-casts. They are attached to the garage wall & hold MANY models (still in their original packaging). I DID run out of space & put all the Hot Wheels away in a big cardboard box.
We also have no children, so my wife will have to get rid of everything, including car magazines, pistols...and the 7360 Fuel Injection unit sitting on another shelf in the garage...when I "join the choir"
Old 11-20-2011, 01:24 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Unfortunately for me, however, I don't have any children to pass them on to (got married fairly late in life). I can picture some court-appointed, estate sale manager looking at my die-cast Chaparrals, McLarens, GT40s, and Corvettes, and thinking, "Why would some grown man have a bunch of toy cars"??
Same situation here too.

Quick Reply: Local Stores with Diecast Cars?