Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

*** your opinion on this '68, please ***

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Default *** your opinion on this '68, please ***

Does anyone know anything about these pedal cars??? Year they were produced, are they collectible??? Are they rare??? Going market price??? just noticed one in a local ad and was wondering if it is worth pursuing. Thanks, BK3

Last edited by bkvette3; 09-05-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a vette, it's a peddal car, it's cool. Don't know to much about them, but if the price is right, I would want one in my collection.
Let us know what you do.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I have a red one in my collection, and I recently spoke to Forum member Candyred77, who also has a red one.

They were made by a company called Empire Industries (or Empire Toys), I believe around 69,70,71. As near as I could find out, they were best known for making a copy of Marx's "Big Wheel"s. At some point Marx was bought out by or merged with Empire, and sometime in the 90's they, acquired the old Buddy L toy company. They may still be in business, I just don't know for sure.

I've actually had 2 of them. The first one I got from a friend of mine about 20 years ago. Though complete, it had sat outside and was quite faded (to the point that it looked orange), and the decals were in bad shape. I found my second one about 12 years ago at a swap meet. It was in far better condition, with all the decals in place and no fading to the red finish. There's also a warning label on the inside right side of the body.

The wheel centers, tail lamps and license plate are painted silver on mine, and the body is molded in red. The body on both of the ones I had have had silver "crack & peel" labels for the grills and 68/69 side louvers. The front fenders have labels that say "Fuel Injection" in white on red labels with black stripes, hood and deck lid labels with "Corvette" and black racing stripes, black racing stripes on the doors that also say "Corvette" in white and rear quarter panel labels that say "Custom 400" and "Empire" with Empire's logo, a big "E" with a crown over it.

As far as being rare, I can say that they don't turn up often, and they're no where near as well known as the ride on 65 coupes.

Below are a couple pictures of the one I currently have in my collection.

The following users liked this post:
Yankeededandy (05-22-2020)
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Hi Glenn, Thanks for the info. Your pedal car is a beauty. The red one is the one I really am looking for. The white one I posted pics up on the forum is not near the condition of yours. The seller is asking $55.00 for it. I will probably pass on it. If you ever get tired of your '68 pedal car please give me first crack at it. $$$ waiting for you. PM me and we will talk. Thanks again for the info on these unique "toys". Much appreciated. Take care. BK3
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oldsarge
It's a vette, it's a peddal car, it's cool. Don't know to much about them, but if the price is right, I would want one in my collection.
Let us know what you do.
Hello oldsarge - I hope all is going well for you. I will probably pass on the pedal car as I am looking for a "red" one. The white one is located pretty close to you in Fort Erie. Take care - BK3
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by bkvette3
The white one I posted pics up on the forum is not near the condition of yours. The seller is asking $55.00 for it. I will probably pass on it.
I don't think that $55 (Canadian I assume) is unfair. If I remember right, I gave around $40 for mine in the late 90's. I sold the other one I had at Corvettes@Carlisle in 2001 for somewhere around $65-75, and it wasn't anywhere near as nice as the one I kept.

If you ever get tired of your '68 pedal car please give me first crack at it. $$$ waiting for you. PM me and we will talk. Thanks again for the info on these unique "toys". Much appreciated. Take care. BK3
I'll keep it in mind, but I get attached to things, so no promises.

I attend Spring, Fall and Corvette Carlisle, and I will say that I've never seen another one for sale. Since I'm there to vend, I don't walk the grounds all that much, but still I regularly see the 65 Coupe ride on and even the white 57 pedal cars show up occasionally, but not the 68/69.

If I ever came across a white one (or any other color, but I've only ever heard of red & white ones), I'd probably grab it, just to have a different colored one in my collection.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

My grang kids would have a ball with that!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 PM
WillV
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are those plastic pedal cars or fiberglass? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WillV
are those plastic pedal cars or fiberglass? Thanks.
Plastic
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM
WillV
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any experience with fiberglass pedal cars or if they even made fiberglass pedal cars?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WillV
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any experience with fiberglass pedal cars or if they even made fiberglass pedal cars?
That I am not too sure of. I don't think there were any fiberglass pedal cars made. I could be wrong. Maybe some other CF members would know. . Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi guys,

just wanted to share a few picks of my pedal car twins

I picked the red one up on craigslist about 2 months ago and the white one last week. I had seen it online before the OP posted about it, but the owner wouldn't ship, so had to wait till a buddy of me was in the area, and he picked it up.

Both are in good, played with condition. Some scratches and a few small tears. Both are missing the horn button, and decals. The white one does not have any signs of decals ever being applied, nor of the silver painted taillights and licence plate, as mentioned by gbvette62 above?

If anyone would have a lead on a horn (or 2) or the decals, please let me know (see pictures above)

Thanks, Sonny

Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $55.00 it's cheap enough that you can paint it any way you want it. Even put Motion style stripes on.

Get notified of new replies

To *** your opinion on this '68, please ***

Quick Reply: *** your opinion on this '68, please ***