Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

The better diecast brands?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 AM
ddramz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The better diecast brands?

Hello everybody I'm new here and I have been collecting diecast but of construction equipment, I thought I wanted to start a NASCAR collection but I got sidelined when I saw some Vettes.
So basically whats a better brand? I have my thoughts of the Maisto or Dub City and I think they are toyish looking. I like the 1/18 scale and i have 3 cheap Nascar vehicle in that scale.
I have some bids on some Exoto Vettes as I think they look very detailed, I bought so far these:
1:18 AUTOART CHEVROLET CORVETTE C5R 2003 24H LEMANS #50
1998 Corvette Disney Collection Donald Duck 1:18
1957 Corvette 1000 Miglia racing Bburago #32124 LE 1:18
WELLY 1:18 1982 CHEVY CORVETTE COUPE DIECAST RED
Corvette MotorMax Mako Shark 1:18

These I got all from Ebay since last weekend, I have a bunch more I am bidding on.

The C5R I want to add some fiber optic running lights to it as I am a very skilled modeler.The 98 I bought cause I like ducks....
The 57 I stole at a low bid. The Welly I got because my wife used to have an identical vette. The mako shark I won also at a low bid.

Has anybody bought the Hotwheels 1/12th Vettes? are they worth it?

Since I like the larger scales I may not get any Franklins or Danburys plus they seem a bit high priced. Is the Welly any good, or the Bburago?

Is Auto Art fine scaled? I see some UT cars at good prices shall I ****** them up cause they are out of production? Which ones are to be avoided? Thanks for any input! I really do get into collecting, I have a massive HO train setup with some high dollar brass kits.Plus I have a bunch of 1/35 scale built modern tanks, and several dozen large truck kits to be built as i am a diesel mechanic by trade.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:35 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

for 1/18 scale vettes, i really like the auto art ones. i have some ut cars too which i think auto art bought them out a while ago. they are nice as well.

i dont have any exoto's, but i hear they are nice.

i took a burrago and kit bashed it to make a model of my car a while ago, it came out ok.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Illini Steve
Drifting

Exoto is tops, but too pricy for me (their lower priced Motorbox line of '67s are great though)
I am a huge AutoArt/UT fan and they make up the majority of my collection.
Carousel 1's C3 racers are nice if you can find them
Hot Wheels are up and down
Everything else are toys in my opinion
Old 03-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would rank them in this order of quality:
For 1/18 scale:
Exoto
AutoArt/UT
Carousel
all others

For 1/24 scale:
Danbury Mint
Franklin Mint
Old 03-09-2006, 12:26 PM
DavesC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red73
For 1/18 scale:
Exoto
AutoArt/UT
Carousel
all others

For 1/24 scale:
Danbury Mint
Franklin Mint
Good summary.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:58 PM
ddramz
Advanced

Hey thanks folks! I also get the impression that Auto Art looks good, the UT ones are a bit more scarce but the prices are pretty low on the auctions, I'm going to pay more attention to them from now on.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red73
For 1/18 scale:
Exoto
AutoArt/UT
Carousel
all others

For 1/24 scale:
Danbury Mint
Franklin Mint
Indeed... And if you're willing to venture outside of the Corvette diecast world, CMC makes even better models than Exoto.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:29 PM
ApexOversteer
Team Owner

GMP makes great cars, but I don't remember if they make any Vettes at the moment.

IMO, when you get that Motor Max Mako Shark, relist it on ebay asap and find yourself the AutoArt one. The Motor Max Mako is terribly painted, the AA version is gorgeous! Looks good next to AA's Sting Ray Racer....
Old 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have over 200 diecast Corvettes in 1/18th scale. Just understand that no matter what brand you buy, they will all be a compromise of some sort. Manufactures need to produce thousands of a particular mold to make any money at it. But the better versions are:

Best available:
Exoto - Overpriced at MSRP but great looking Grand Sports. A good value around $100 shipped. Too many special paint varieties killed the market on a really nice looking car.

Auto Art/UT - Excellent C5R's and Pace Cars. Love my 78's.

Carousel1 - For about $50 they are an absolute steal.

Motorbox - Above average quality and priced to go with it.

the others:
Action - C5R's are terrible. Get AA versions when you can unless completely obsessed.

Maisto - great 65's. Only C4's around really. Great at $10 each (Costco/Sam's Club).

Bburago - just cheap to get different off styles/colors. Okay value at $15 each.

Ertl - ugly crap cars for the most part. Not quite Maisto/Bburago quality and too high priced at TRU but only early C4.

Welly - crap even at Big Lots! prices. About even with Ertl really.

Hotwheels - okay, but mostly just toy quality. FUGLY FRC C5.

Motormax - when I'm being cheap and desperate.

Revell - only way to get the '69 for now in about 7 colors that I know of. 2 generations made.

Mira - Buy the AA version of the '53 and pass on this one.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Truck Guy
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lord of the Tree
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '16

Originally Posted by Perfusion
Indeed... And if you're willing to venture outside of the Corvette diecast world, CMC makes even better models than Exoto.
Some very nice diecasts. The early Mercedes racers are unbelievable
Old 03-10-2006, 07:43 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by Apex0versteer
GMP makes great cars, but I don't remember if they make any Vettes at the moment.

IMO, when you get that Motor Max Mako Shark, relist it on ebay asap and find yourself the AutoArt one. The Motor Max Mako is terribly painted, the AA version is gorgeous! Looks good next to AA's Sting Ray Racer....

the gmp 1/12 scale c5r is AWESOME. you can pick them up on ebay sometimes for around 300 which is allot better than the 599 retail on them.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
corvette427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goody
I have over 200 diecast Corvettes in 1/18th scale. Just understand that no matter what brand you buy, they will all be a compromise of some sort. Manufactures need to produce thousands of a particular mold to make any money at it. But the better versions are:

Best available:
Exoto - Overpriced at MSRP but great looking Grand Sports. A good value around $100 shipped. Too many special paint varieties killed the market on a really nice looking car.

Auto Art/UT - Excellent C5R's and Pace Cars. Love my 78's.

Carousel1 - For about $50 they are an absolute steal.

Motorbox - Above average quality and priced to go with it.

the others:
Action - C5R's are terrible. Get AA versions when you can unless completely obsessed.

Maisto - great 65's. Only C4's around really. Great at $10 each (Costco/Sam's Club).

Bburago - just cheap to get different off styles/colors. Okay value at $15 each.

Ertl - ugly crap cars for the most part. Not quite Maisto/Bburago quality and too high priced at TRU but only early C4.

Welly - crap even at Big Lots! prices. About even with Ertl really.

Hotwheels - okay, but mostly just toy quality. FUGLY FRC C5.

Motormax - when I'm being cheap and desperate.

Revell - only way to get the '69 for now in about 7 colors that I know of. 2 generations made.

Mira - Buy the AA version of the '53 and pass on this one.

On the Revell 69's - 8 colors and at least two versions of the red (one black interior, the other beige - I believe this is part of the 2 generations referred to). Great cars for the money and a lot of fun to hunt down and collect. Took me a little over two years and I scored the holy grails with the Black Kit version from Germany and the Orange thanks to fellow collector 7Vette.

If you're interested, in order of difficulty to find (and consequently price) - Blue, Silver, Red, White, Yellow, Green, Orange, Black. If you decide to take on the mission - good luck and have fun with it!!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Originally Posted by Truck Guy
Some very nice diecasts. The early Mercedes racers are unbelievable
Wait 'til you see the upcoming release of the Maserati Birdcage. You'll schit yourself over the detail.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

For the budget-minded collector who wants a Grand Sport Roadster in 1:18, Yat Ming offers 3 versions at a very affordable price.

Replicarz.com - Yat Ming Grand Sport
Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 PM
corvette427
Instructor

For the budget-minded collector who wants a Grand Sport Roadster in 1:18, Yat Ming offers 3 versions at a very affordable price.

How are those on the quality scale? I know they are not Exoto's, but the pics look nice...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 PM
7Vette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch! $27.95!!! They're all over Ebay for $15-$20.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:40 AM
K9Rphoto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corvette427
On the Revell 69's - 8 colors and at least two versions of the red (one black interior, the other beige - I believe this is part of the 2 generations referred to). Great cars for the money and a lot of fun to hunt down and collect. Took me a little over two years and I scored the holy grails with the Black Kit version from Germany and the Orange thanks to fellow collector 7Vette.

If you're interested, in order of difficulty to find (and consequently price) - Blue, Silver, Red, White, Yellow, Green, Orange, Black. If you decide to take on the mission - good luck and have fun with it!!
Thanks for the beginning ?.
Being new to this Diecast.

I have seen this company called Greenlight, but don't see it listed on anyones list's.

Any thoughts on how they rate???

Get notified of new replies

To The better diecast brands?

Old 03-11-2006, 11:25 AM
copter
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a reason greenlight wasn't even on the list.Take a look at their 78PC and that will tell you the whole story.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Greenlight really only has but a couple 1/18th vettes. I don't care about other cars.....too busy being obsessed over Corvettes to make room for anything else.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:26 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Although not cheap, Exoto makes some pretty nice replicas. What I don't like about them, however, is their marketing. A LONG time ago, roughly 4 years, to be exact, they announced their Chaparral 2E. OK, I'm a CanAm freak, so I immediately "pre-order' one.

4 years later, I'm still waiting for it. The die cast dealer I originally ordered it from dropped their affiliaition with Exoto, and consequently dropped my order (of course, at the initial price of $169). My only recourse was to place another "pre-order" directly with Exoto, at the new, higher price. That was a year and a half ago, and still no Chaparral!

Quick Reply: The better diecast brands?