Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sirius Satellite Radio in a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:05 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sirius Satellite Radio in a C4?

As the title says, does anyone have Sirius in their C4? We're thinking about getting it as a xmas gift to ourselves. I've got a 94 vert and the biggest problem I can see is how to mount the MAGNETIC antenna? Any comments or suggestions? Thanks, Zane
Old 12-15-2004, 11:14 PM
rhay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have XM in my vette. I'm not sure how big the antenna is for sirrius, but the one for XM is about the size of a walnut but not quite as thick or so. Anyway, I mounted mine under the rear trim behind the weatherstripping. Worked great, and had no problems with reception there, plus with the radio portion right there in the back, was able to route the cable under the carpet to the storage box.

Robert
Old 12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I bought a new GMC truck off the lot in August. It came with an XM radio. What a hoot! I drove the 16 hours to Carlisle right after I got it and never even listened to a single CD! I will be taking an 800 mile trip to Oklahoma over Christmas and we are taking the truck instead of the wife's Grand Prix just because of the radio!
There are several comedy channels that will have you busting a gut, period music with no commercials, talk, weather, road conditions for major cities. Best money I ever spent!
Your local Radio Shack person should be able to give you advice on how to hook it up. I think the gas tank lid is metal.
Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
LT1FORFUN
Intermediate

Default Sirius C4

I run Audiovox Sirius unit in my 92 Convertible, I place the antenne on the dash and use the FM modulator, power from the cig lighter. I move this portable unit between 3 vehicles...it is great. I have XM in a company truck but I prefer sirius programming
Old 12-16-2004, 06:58 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LT1FORFUN
I run Audiovox Sirius unit in my 92 Convertible, I place the antenne on the dash and use the FM modulator, power from the cig lighter. I move this portable unit between 3 vehicles...it is great. I have XM in a company truck but I prefer sirius programming
LT1FORFUN. This is the route that I was thinking of going, but wasn't to sure of the reception quality. Do you any problems with reception? Also where do you mount/place the cradle/modulator in your vert without haveing to worry about it slideing into the floor or other unwanted places ,i.e. under the gas/brake/clutch pedals. Would you happen to have a pic of the setup you use in the vert, to give me an idea on how to set mine up? Sorry for all the questions, Just curious what others have experienced. Thanks, Zane
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed Sirius in my `91 last week.
I placed the antenna on the front defrost vent (Passenger side) and used velcro to secure it. I removed the glove box, and placed most of the 21' antenna wire to the left of the glove box under the dash. I placed the receiver in the center storage compartment. I removed the radio bezel to get the antenna wire to the receiver, and spliced the power cord (the cigirette power wire adaptor) to the accessory wire already in the Vette. It has no problems with reception.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:40 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z-07 freak
I just installed Sirius in my `91 last week.
I placed the antenna on the front defrost vent (Passenger side) and used velcro to secure it. I removed the glove box, and placed most of the 21' antenna wire to the left of the glove box under the dash. I placed the receiver in the center storage compartment. I removed the radio bezel to get the antenna wire to the receiver, and spliced the power cord (the cigirette power wire adaptor) to the accessory wire already in the Vette. It has no problems with reception.

Z-07,
My plan is to put the antenna on the dash by the defroster, put seeing as I have a 94 vert, that means no glove box to hide the excess wire behind. I'm hoping to find a hiding place under the passenger side trim panel. I'm curious, when you say you put the "receiver in the center storage compartment". Do you mean you put it inside the console? Doesn't this limit access to the receiver and the ability to change stations etc? I also plan on spliceing into the cig lighter wires underneath the center console cover to access a power supply. Thanks for the reply, Zane
Old 12-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brain fart - I forgot the `94 has the air bag insted of the glove box. There shouldn't be any difference in reception strength if you put the antenna on the far right passenger side, and put the bulk of the antenna wire under the passenger dash area.

Before I placed my antenna, I activated the system with Sirius, and moved the antenna to different spots on the Vette while checking reception strength on the receiver. The foward part of the dash was as good as sitting on the rear glass hatch.

My first choice for putting the receiver was on the radio trim bezel just under the radio. I was going to get an extra bezel to drill holes for the receiver base mount and wires to go through. I tested the location with velcro first, then decided aginst it because each time I shifted the 6-speed into 1st 3rd or 5th, I would hit the receiver. If I had an automatic, I would have gone with this location.

I chose to put the receiver in the center storage compartment that's located between the seats. I bought the Sirius "Sportster" car kit. It fits perfectly in the foward part of the storage compartment. The antenna, power and FM receiver wires hide nicely under the shift plate bezel. Its a good location for easy access for the driver. You juist have to learn to control it by touch (station presets help) and only look at it at stop lights.

Taking the cig-power cord that came with the kit, I cut it about 6" from the plug that goes into the receiver, and connected it to the power accessory wires located under the shift plate bezel.
black = ground
pink = power only when ignition is on (this is the one I hooked up to)
orange = always receives power (dont use this one)
Don't twist and tape the wires together. Use small butt-connectors.

9/32 socket
ratchet w/ extension
philips head screwdriver
razor (for cutting the the plastic off the end of the wires)
pliers (for crimping the wire connectors)
long needle nose pliers - or bend a coathanger (for feeding the antenna wire through the dash area)

Last edited by Z-07 freak; 12-22-2004 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:39 PM
red-roadster
Heel & Toe

Default sirius install - '95 vert

I installed the streamer base unit in the compartment behind the driver seat, I control it with the sirius remote via a remote laser eye installed in the vent screw hole on the centre dash, I shortened the tail on the antenna & placed it in the centre of the dash right up against the windshield - 2 sided tape. It works great & is invisible except for the head of the antenna on the dash. I think I paid about 50.00 for the remote laser setup. The only shortfall is that you can't visually see the streamer head, but a menu works just fine.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Stombaughbl
Cruising

How has it been connected to the stock Bose system? Are you using the tape adapter, fm connect etc? What the results?

Get notified of new replies

To Sirius Satellite Radio in a C4?

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Radio in a C4?