Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C4 Audio FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:26 AM
richiep
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Radio / Stereo Question

The Bose radio in my C4 the sound tends to go loud / low by itself or sometimes sounds like someone turned up the bass and then turned it down again. The CD however, play fine with no problems. All four speaker amps have been replaced over the past few years. Any ideas?

Antenna grounding maybe ??? How tough is it to get to the antenna?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:30 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by richiep
The Bose radio in my C4 the sound tends to go loud / low by itself or sometimes sounds like someone turned up the bass and then turned it down again. The CD however, play fine with no problems. All four speaker amps have been replaced over the past few years. Any ideas?

Antenna grounding maybe ??? How tough is it to get to the antenna?
this area is not for questions, but for suggestions and reference.

I would reask this in a thread.

As an aside, it seems to me the reciever is bad.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:11 PM
bogus
Team Owner

I have added a section on compatibility and did some general editing.

Again, suggestions welcome!

Next time you all visit, delete old posts! Time to clean this mess up!!!

Last edited by bogus; 04-28-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:23 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Added info on deiaggies sub enclosure!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:40 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks like Dr. Dons website is down...anybody have a good link...or is he out of business??

Never mind, answered my own question.....

It does appear to be different than the one listed here. Here you go...

http://www.doctordons.com/

Last edited by ccmano; 06-09-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 AM
chooch65
Heel & Toe

HOW DO YOU GET THESE SPEAKERS OUT OF THE DASH. iT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS NO ROOM WITH THE WINDSHIELD. i HAVE A 89 COUPE. BOB
Old 06-18-2006, 03:21 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Bob, ask this qx in a separate post. The FAQ is not designed to ask questions in, but to make suggestions to improve the content of the FAQ.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:58 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Is Deiaggie still selling the storage bin boxes?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

Originally Posted by scorp508
Is Deiaggie still selling the storage bin boxes?
Yes, I just got one from him last week for the coupe.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Teddydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update on Bose servicing of amp/speaker combos. Emailed them last week and received the following reply:

In answer to your question, Bose Corporation can repair the speaker and amplifier assemblies at a cost of $140. each or (4 for $420) plus shipping if you can remove them and send them in to us. The timeframe is approximately 3 weeks and we will need your mailing address to forward the paperwork.

Rob
Old 10-14-2006, 03:40 AM
bogus
Team Owner

wow... they have raised the price. What does that service include?

I have updated the FAQ with info about grounding amps.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:19 AM
ameribrit
Advanced

Default Bose Redo

Originally Posted by Teddydog
Just an update on Bose servicing of amp/speaker combos. Emailed them last week and received the following reply:

In answer to your question, Bose Corporation can repair the speaker and amplifier assemblies at a cost of $140. each or (4 for $420) plus shipping if you can remove them and send them in to us. The timeframe is approximately 3 weeks and we will need your mailing address to forward the paperwork.

Rob
How do you find out how to remove the front speakers/amplifiers on a C4 for the Bose? Can a novice do this without tearing everything up? I have worked in and around dashes and don't particularly enjoy it.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:04 AM
bogus
Team Owner

ameribrit - what year? And ask this as a question outside this thread...
Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wanted to post that my Bose Gold CD in my '93 40th Anniversary Ruby 'Vert finally swallowed one of my favorite CD's (Beatles Help Soundtrack) and it would not reject it. First the instructions from C4guru were excellent but I might add a few items for the novice that has never removed the dash from a later C-4.

1. When removing the upper vent over the DIC, it is much easier when the wheel is tilted down to get to the phillip head screws. (DUH)

2. When sliding back the transmission console portion on a A4 (automatic) it makes the job easier to disconnect the indicator bulb and unhook the needle indicator. This way you have more room to work with and less of a chance of scratches. Just make sure you reverse the procedure when putting everything back together.

3. I found that inserting the head unit back into the dash was more of a struggle then removal but stick with it. Make sure all the radio harness wires are stuffed back into their place so they do not obstruct the unit from sliding back into its slot. Further, there are orange plastic plugs that secure or lock the two harness connections so do not loose them and take your time sliding each one back on.

4. Since I am a detail nut and really **** about my Ruby I found that using bubble wrap and towels over the console areas prevented scratching the rubber plastic coating on the lower and upper consoles as well as the dual power seat controls.

Further, I used Doctor Don's service and they were great. Again, I am really **** about my 'Vette, like most of us and he did a great job. The system sounds great, much better then before so he must have performed other upgrades. He even sent back my Beatles CD wrapped in plastic and a small bag of additional OE mounting screws as he promised. His attention to detail was fantastic and I can assure anyone who is concerned about damage to their OE system the Doctor is a skilled surgeon and the unit came back better then new. Again, this is just my experience but if anyone wants to PM me I will be more then happy to recommend him or answer any questions about removal and replacing the unit back in the dash.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend.
Regards,
Mark
Old 05-25-2007, 02:17 AM
bogus
Team Owner

thanks for the pointers!!!!

In reference to #3... I think there is enough variation in assembly, that one car's issue is anothers non-issue! It's that bad!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:32 AM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
thanks for the pointers!!!!

In reference to #3... I think there is enough variation in assembly, that one car's issue is anothers non-issue! It's that bad!
bogus:
Thank you for this excellent thread. If you had not taken the time to consolidate various tech tips I would probably have never taken on the task, but working on the 'Vette is therapy for me
Mark
Old 06-21-2007, 08:11 PM
t-93
Instructor

Iam going to remove my Bose system and put in a Sony receiver and Polk 6x9 Momo 3 ways.
My question is, if I remove all of the bose, where is the power antenea wire and how will I wire it to the new receiver in the dash. My current receiver is located in the storage bin behind the passengers seat.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Audio FAQ

Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
bogus
Team Owner

t-93.

first off, this thread is for additions and comments, NOT QUESTIONS. It's in real big print at the beginning of the FAQ.

Please ask this question in a thread. Then it will be answered. If I answer this here, I will violate the rule.

thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Somebody needs to clarify the removal of the CDM box in the early cars,a simple remove this,that and your in business didnt get it for me.Removing the CDM box in my 91 was a TOTAL PAIN IN THE A$$ and anybody else thats done it knows whats involved.Heres a short break down on the process:Remove the pass seat and tracks,remove the fuse trim panel and the hush panel under the dash.The CDM box is about 4 inches by 8 inches.There are 2 studs with 10MM nuts on each side of the box.You've got two plugs on one side and 3 plugs on the other.The antenna lead is plugged in the box at the front edge.You've got to push the box towards the firewall to get it out.Theres a locating pin at the front of the box that is helping to hold it in place.I found it easier to unplug all the wires in this area and push them out of the way.Ive been working on all my cars for over 30 years and this was one of the most challenging jobs Ive ever done.This process may have been posted elsewhere and I may have missed,I didnt find it anywhere so it was trial and error but Ive done it if anybody needs a hand,drop me line.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Matt Cramer
Instructor

Some people have claimed you have to completely rewire the sound system in a C4 to replace the Bose system. Not really, unless you're putting something in that's running a lot more juice through the wires. You can get a new head unit in there with common adapter kits. At the speaker end, you will need to cut the wires leading to the Bose amps and run the wires straight to the speakers. I cut mine downstream of the connector to the Bose amp so that the stock wiring harness itself is completely unmolested.

Quick Reply: C4 Audio FAQ