Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can an iPod be installed with the C5 factory Bose Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:12 AM
0325vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an iPod be installed with the C5 factory Bose Stereo?

I'd like to know if there is a way to connect an iPOD into the Bose stereo in my C5. Has anyone done it or know of it being done?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:09 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been some that have installed an iPod into their system. If you have a CD Changer, this will do away with being able to use it.

How they are doing it:
Unplug CD Changer (or purchase CD Changer harness). Plug in a CD Changer to RCA adaptor (PIE # GM10-AUX). Purchase an RCA cable to the input type for the headphones output on your iPod. Now, you can select AUX (CD Changer) and you can play your iPod through your factory stereo. I just did this install type for my XM radio. Worked great!! Here is a link to one of the supporting vendors that sells the cables at a great price:
https://www.litewarehouse.com/catalo...ed8fe147d03584
Old 08-25-2004, 02:59 PM
0325vette
Instructor

Thanks for the assistance!!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:05 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

QuikZilver: Thanks for the referral.

0325vette: If there is anything else I can do to help, let me know.

Have a great afternoon, guys.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:12 AM
powerdoc
Racer

Default cheap Solution

I bought the PIE adapter originally, installed it, and it did not work! I was pressed for time, and had surpassed the time frame to send back the PIE unit, so I forged ahead on my own.

In truth, you can install any line-level audio system with two very simple devices - One 4 pole double throw relay, and one single pole toggle switch. For less than 10 dollars, you can keep the CD changer AND install your iPod! and listen to either device you desire!

I used the single pole switch to operate a relay that toggled the audio line output from the CD unit to the audio line output from my 20GB Jukebox. Connections were really (really) simple if you're good with a soldering iron.

The only thing the PIE device really does is provide a data signal to the stock head unit once the CD changer is removed...THAT's IT! If you like this solution, email me and I'll send the wiring diagrams and parts list.

...and if you're wondering, the head unit does show that the CD changer is playing CDs, but I just took a 10 hour road trip, and probably only noticed a CD change in the head unit display twice. Who cares...
Old 09-05-2004, 08:03 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuikZilver
There have been some that have installed an iPod into their system. If you have a CD Changer, this will do away with being able to use it.

How they are doing it:
Unplug CD Changer (or purchase CD Changer harness). Plug in a CD Changer to RCA adaptor (PIE # GM10-AUX). Purchase an RCA cable to the input type for the headphones output on your iPod. Now, you can select AUX (CD Changer) and you can play your iPod through your factory stereo. I just did this install type for my XM radio. Worked great!! Here is a link to one of the supporting vendors that sells the cables at a great price:
https://www.litewarehouse.com/catalo...ed8fe147d03584
Can I tag onto this thread? Non-vette radio.....my Trailblazer has a 6 CD in-dash system, XM, and Bose. Anything I can do to get a MP3 player/ipod plugged in? I dont think that it has an "aux" input jack.

Would love to get my new Dell Jukebox plugged in.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:04 PM
pip
Racer

Go to http:\\www.logjamelectronics.com and look under auxilliary input converters for your make/model/year vehicle.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:30 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thamks pip! lots of choices, but that will get me started!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

you can install any line-level audio system with two very simple devices - One 4 pole double throw relay, and one single pole toggle switch. For less than 10 dollars, you can keep the CD changer AND install your iPod! and listen to either device you desire!

I used the single pole switch to operate a relay that toggled the audio line output from the CD unit
WOW; what a great work around. I never had the factory CD changer; but for those that do, this certainly is an easy & inexpensive way to retain it and add another device.

I salute you !!!

Old 09-10-2004, 09:41 PM
bigmac21
2nd Gear

The relay configuration works great, did mine last week. Cost less than $15.00, soldering is required.

Thanks Powerdoc.

Get notified of new replies

To Can an iPod be installed with the C5 factory Bose Stereo?

Quick Reply: Can an iPod be installed with the C5 factory Bose Stereo?