Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Slash
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching

Salutations,

I just got an iPod and I want to use it with my stock radio/cd player.

I know that I will need a gm10-aux. But it says that I will need another cable unless my car is prewired. What does that exactly mean? I have the two cables (or one double-headed) that are in the passenger foot-well. Does this mean it is pre-wired?

I'll also need power for the iPod. I have a belkin adapter that works off the cigarette lighter and supplies line level outputs. Is there an easy way to add a lighter adapter in the bast at the radio?

Would it be better to use the headphone jacks or to go through the dock connector? I'm thinking in terms of reliability. I just wonder how the dock connector will hold up with the ipod in the car and possibly jostling around.

Thanks for the info.

:cheers:
Old 01-18-2004, 10:58 AM
sbelow
Intermediate

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (Slash)

Slash, I'd love to hear your experience on this. I too have an Ipod I'd like to connect to my radio (& a belkin power adaptor)--the FM modulator sucks. Any details on your luck/install would be greatly appreciated! :cheers:
Old 01-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Slash
Drifting

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (Slash)

:lurk:
Old 01-19-2004, 11:26 AM
stingrey
Advanced

I'll be doing the same thing, depending on what generation iPod you have you'll be able to use an rf remote and mount it in your armrest console like I did in the T/A. Go to http://www.stingrey.com/guitars/ipod for an idea! Was hardwired using a belkin cig adapter, chopped and hooked to switched source. If I cound find a mounting point for the remote, I'd love to do it the same way as I did with my T/A, but can't, so I've got to upgrade iPods and get an rf remote or I'll have to make a custom job out of a gps and ipod control in the space where the cubby is. I'll post a pic from home of what I'm talking about, but for the wired remote option, here is a pic of that for now:

Rey :)
Old 01-19-2004, 12:13 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

I know that I will need a gm10-aux. But it says that I will need another cable unless my car is prewired. What does that exactly mean? I have the two cables (or one double-headed) that are in the passenger foot-well. Does this mean it is pre-wired?
A couple people have mentioned that few C5's do come with the cd-changer pre-wired from the factory. However, I have not personally seen any C5 with a cd-changer wiring harness with no cd-changer.

The connector you see near the passenger footwell is the cd-changer port. You will need to get the cd-changer wiring harness. This is what it looks like

And I do carry it, in addtion to the GM10-AUX adapter. Below are the links for them. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. :cheers:

GM10-AUX = http://www.tlelectronics.com/webstor...roducts_id=154

C5 cd-changer cable = http://www.tlelectronics.com/webstor...roducts_id=157

Old 01-19-2004, 09:06 PM
sbelow
Intermediate

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (Tuan Le)

So you need BOTH cables? First the CD changer harness, ~$70, AND then the Aux Harness to plug into the CD changer harness at another $70? You've got to be kidding! ~$140 to save on splicing? Anybody got a wiring diagram, I think I'll put the $140 away for something more worthwhile, like a bullpoopie meter. :U :rofl:
Old 01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
sbelow
Intermediate

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (stingrey)

That's sweet, thanks for the idea! Well done. I'm looking forward to seeing your next pic, not sure I'm visualizing what you're talking about--I haven't seen an RF remote yet.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
stingrey
Advanced

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (sbelow)

Far as the rf remote goes, here's a link:
http://www.engineeredaudio.com/products/remote.html

That should easily fit in our slightly useless cupholder or the cubby, but I'm thinking the cubby area is less useful to me right now since I've seen this:

Looking at the photo, I think there is enough room to pop the gps and the ipod controls into that space that this guy installed their gps into. I'm still thinking, a gps is nice but not quite necessary yet. I miss the tunes greatly though. I'll write more later, got one more movie to watch (darn new release 2 day return rules) and a bit of stuff to do for work, but I'm thinking more of the gps idea now that I've seen the C6 console... You know? And I had a chance to play with a gps in a Prius of all cars (they are cool, and I would buy one, just never expected a navigation system in one), and I liked it. Anyhow, lots to do, WILL follow up with this project no matter how I do it, and I will make sure it is better than it was in the T/A visually. More to come later!

Old 01-19-2004, 10:33 PM
adeak1
Intermediate

Dear All

Alpine will support I-Pod control with there new HU unit this year. This from the press release.

Andrew
Old 01-20-2004, 03:52 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (sbelow)

So you need BOTH cables? First the CD changer harness, ~$70, AND then the Aux Harness to plug into the CD changer harness at another $70? You've got to be kidding! ~$140 to save on splicing? Anybody got a wiring diagram, I think I'll put the $140 away for something more worthwhile, like a bullpoopie meter. :U :rofl:
I am just telling you what it takes to input RCA signal into the stock C5 system. Unfortunately, that is how the manufacture designed the cables.

If you have the time do research, and trial & error to come up with a free or cheaper "splice and dice" solution then more power to you. :thumbs: Don't forget to post up the details afterward so the rest of the C5 community can benefit from it. :cheers:
Old 02-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Kris072
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (Tuan Le)

I bought the PIE, unhooked my CD changer and installed the iPOD. Had it hardwired for power up thru the bottom of the cup holder (since it isnt worth anything else) It's AWSOME especially since I replaced all my speakers, added an amp & a sub
Old 02-03-2004, 12:57 AM
UR LZN
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (Kris072)

Nice job on the IPOD install but what is the cable/connector on the top for?

I thought you could hook it up with all wires comming out of the bottom?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Kris072
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (UR LZN)

The bottom connector is power and the top plug is audio out. I"m very impressed with how great it sounds. I can also download all my photos from my digital camera to it while traveling and eliminate the need for packing a laptop.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:51 AM
stingrey
Advanced

Slash, so was it the harness or did you end up having to buy the harness? I am looking in the passenger compartment and am not finding any connections or loose cables so i *think* I need the cor-harness. I am hoping someone can tell me where it would be (looked on both sides of the fusebox) at least. If not, I'm in trouble, need the part quickly and tlelectronics is down so not sure how to get in touch with Tuan. Would prefer to pick up the part from him.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:01 AM
stingrey
Advanced

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (Kris072)

Kris072, anyone, can you tell me where the cables are supposed to connect? Where I may find the harness if I already have the changer cable? Anyone? Basically after looking in the passenger compartment, I can find no evidence of being able to plug anything in... Every plug (except the little aux power wires I'm guessing by their size and another small plug, will take a pic in a few seconds) is taken. Not sure what to look for.

Rey
Old 02-04-2004, 11:03 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching (stingrey)

Slash, so was it the harness or did you end up having to buy the harness? I am looking in the passenger compartment and am not finding any connections or loose cables so i *think* I need the cor-harness. I am hoping someone can tell me where it would be (looked on both sides of the fusebox) at least. If not, I'm in trouble, need the part quickly and tlelectronics is down so not sure how to get in touch with Tuan. Would prefer to pick up the part from him.

Hi Rey,

Our ISP was having DNS issues yesterday so all of my emails were returned to senders. :mad :mad :mad It looks like they have everything ironed out now because emails and traffic to our site start to flow again. My apology for the inconveniences. :blueangel:

As for the changer cable, if your car doesn't come with a cd-changer then 99% of time you will not have it. I have heard of the other 1% where the cars come pre-wired from factory (without cd changer). However, I do not know any of them personally. The cd-changer harness is quite long. So it is very hard to miss it if your car has one. :)

I am in Houston so it only takes 1 day in transit time (via FedEx) to get to San Antonio :) You should have received the GM10-AUX adapter that I sent out on Monday. Shoot me an email at sales@tlelectronics.com if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thanks
-Tuan
Old 02-04-2004, 11:18 AM
stingrey
Advanced

Tuan, before you sent me that e-mail your site wouldn't even pop up for me :) I am so glad to hear from you, and sad at the same time. I am out sick today (really, I am sick) but would have been able to drop off the car since I have every part that I had needed... Except the wiring harness, unless it is there and I'm not seeing it :) Here are the three clearest pictures I could get inside of my batcave dark garage (raining outside today or I'd do better for you guys)

The picture above shows a cable at the bottom, that is my gm-aux 10 from tlelectronics.com (thanks Tuan!!)

The picture above shows the one empty "connector" (held by a white clip), I'm not sure what that one is for but it seems too small to connect the gm-aux10 or anything else changer related.

This picture shows two capped connector type things that are sitting there clipped onto the molding on the LEFT... Not the two blue things plugged in already. I'm not sure what these are for, but they aren't what I'm looking for either, right?

If not and if you don't see what I'm after in there, I'm placing my order today for that other cable I thought I had on the way already. Thanks again for all your help!

P.S. One more question, for anyone really. If I'm not pre-wired for a changer, does the cor-har need to be plugged into the back of the radio then?

[Modified by stingrey, 10:36 AM 2/4/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching

Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

It's hard to see in those pictures. But as far I can tell, I do not see the changer harness anywhere in there.

The wires in the picture below are 1) Key on ignition +12V, and ground. And if I remember correctly, the other wire is just a regular +12V wire.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:10 PM
stingrey
Advanced

Cool, ordering the cable now. Thanks for the info :) If you can just tell me if these have to be plugged into the h/u since mine wasn't pre-wired for the changer, that would be great. Thanks again!

P.S. I DID get the item yesterday, was going to e-mail you about that. That was super fast!
Old 02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Rey,

The cd-changer wiring harness plugs into the changer port in the passenger foot well. It has two little connectors, if I remember correctly, one is a 4-pin connector and the other is 3-pin one.

Because of the tape, I can't really tell in the picture below but these two connects look like they are it. Take another picture with the tape off and I can verify it for you. :)

Quick Reply: Line in / iPod in my c5 + power. Got a couple questions after searching