Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures

Old 06-04-2003, 08:29 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures

I'm not as disgruntled with the Bose system as a lot of people here are... YET. The main thing scaring me , is that I WILL be some time soon.. I'm curious about something though, how well do aftermarket decks fit/look in the space? I've seen a few installs that look like dump, and leave a big void above and below the factory deck... I don't want this.. Can you guys post a few deck install pictures so I can get an idea of how one looks done the RIGHT way? Thanks :cheers:
Old 06-04-2003, 08:39 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (Jbaker)

Sorry guys, I didn't see the "Audio" section, I've never ventured in there!!

Mojo, can you wipe this out for me?? Seems to be a common thread down there!!

Old 06-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Old 06-04-2003, 09:47 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (Jeffvette)

Now that looks nice, Jeff! What's that funky little key for down below, a bass boost? :troll

Just kidding, thanks again! You've been quick to wipe out all of my dumb questions :cheers:

[Modified by Jbaker, 9:47 PM 6/4/2003]
Old 06-04-2003, 11:23 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, not exactly a work of art, but i installed a 1DIN MP3 player and a dash cubby from (i think) a Ford pickup. my head unit was slightly long (about 1/8") so had to dremel a bit from the trim piece. i also had to secure the cubby with something better than just epoxy so i used 4 stainless #8 screws. if i need to turn back to stock i will need to shell out 40 bucks for a new trim piece.

i am infinitely happier with this setup, despite the fact the Sony skips like crazy at the slightest bump. it was fun ripping out the Bose system and speakers. got real familiar with all the stuff in the dash - i had to remove my entire dash panel to get the receiver out. :smash:
Old 06-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Here is my doubledin Pioneer :steering:
Old 06-05-2003, 12:05 AM
vette92_1
Burning Brakes

:D :cheers:

[Modified by vette92_1, 11:17 PM 6/4/2003]
Old 06-05-2003, 09:37 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (Ramrod92)

Ya know, that double din Pioneer does not look that bad at all! Did you have to do any modifications to get it to fit?

Those other installs are killer too! Very nice job guys! :yesnod: :cheers:

When I replace my blows, I want a clean, flush, full appearance. I don't want the radio sticking out or filling only half of the opening. Those installs are inspiring!
Old 06-05-2003, 09:39 AM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (ShawnZR-1)

I was thinking the same thing, that I REALLY liked that Pioneer. It fits nice, and doesn't leave any gaps.

ALL the systems so far, in this thread have been installed nice, and they'd make it tough for me to decide which setup to go with!!

How much, on average, would a shop charge, to rip out the Bose, since I know that more then just the deck has to come out with it!! I don't touch wiring, especially in the Vette, I'd rather pay the pros to do it... Why? They have insurance :D
Old 06-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

The pic was originally to show off my Nitrous switches but you can see my Pioneer deck as well. :D

Old 06-05-2003, 10:46 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (Mr. Magoo)

Hmmm, Magoo, that looks very James Bondish! Very :cool:!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:16 AM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (tempest)

Where are you guys getting the mounting kits for these double DIN or DIN w/ a pocket installs? All I could find was the big space on top big space on bottom kit, but I would really like a pocket.

Where did you get yours Tempest? Would've sent you an IM, but you disabled it...

and here's mine, the WRONG way
Old 06-05-2003, 11:24 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Some nice looking systems guys :cheers:
Old 06-05-2003, 11:27 AM
FixedRoof
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (joecaver)

I just ordered this one yesterday http://www.installer.com/kits/99-3051.jpg from http://www.installer.com. It's the only place I have seen one at all.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:30 AM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (Steve92LT1)

thx :D
Old 06-05-2003, 11:43 AM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (_freakmonkeydogboy_)

Here's some food for thought....

Replacing Bose CD/Stereo with Aftermarket Head Unit While Retaining Bose Speakers
I have seen numerous threads regarding replacement of the factory Bose Stereo with an aftermarket head unit. Most want to retain the use of their existing Bose powered speakers. There are a lot of Pro’s and Con’s about this. I guess that if you are a heavy audiophile ~ then you would say don’t do it. I am not ~ I just wanted a good head unit and didn’t want to invest Mega $$$$ into my system for new speakers……
So, here’s my story ~
You can replace your head unit with a single or dual din CD/Stereo. I just replaced mine with a dual din JVC, and it is a perfect fit. It did not require an installation kit for mounting in the dash.
(For reference, The PurpleC4 is a 92 Coupe)
You can retain use of the Bose speakers if you buy an integration harness from Crutchfield. You should ask them to provide an integration harness and a late model antenna adapter. The harness is about $50 and the antenna adapter is ~$7. The Integration Harness is designed to bypass the tuner and facilitates hookup to the Bose Speakers without any modifications. The harness has a female socket (plug) that is identical to the one on your tuner. You just unplug the 3 separate male plugs from the tuner and insert them into the harness. This effectively takes the tuner out of the circuit and is prewired so that you can just connect the wires out of the aftermarket CD/Stereo directly to it. The integration harness that I got from Crutchfiled has a set of input wires that are attached to a module with 4 gain potentiometers. Mine were preset ~ but there is a set of instructions that tell you how to adjust them if necessary.

You can buy the individual components from Scosche Industries. You can see the amplifier interface at http://www.scosche.com/scosche/electronic/FAI3.asp
and you can see the harness (GM02) at http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/gm.asp
If you buy the parts from Scosche, the price will be about 50% of the cost from Crutchfield, but you will need to merge the two components together, whereas, Crutchfield has done this for you.
In my 92 Coupe, R&R of the head unit was fairly simple and straightforward. I have written a procedure for this (including replacement of burned out bulbs in the Bose unit). The harder part was finding the Frickin tuner, then disconnecting and re-connecting the harness.
(for reference, the tuner in a 92 Coupe is between the passenger side knee bolster and glove box. You have to come into the unit from the side by the door and stand on your head while doing so).
When all was said and done, my new stereo sounds awesome. I have not blown my speakers (knock on wood) and I didn’t have to pay a huge price for speakers that I would never appreciate.
Good Luck,
~ Purp
Old 06-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Robey5
Pro

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (PurpleC4)

I like the Pioneer. What is the model number, and can I make the back light turn orange to match my interior lighting????

This is a CD player, correct?

Email me: brian.robert@keiperdelta.com

Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures

Old 06-05-2003, 04:35 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

Where are you guys getting the mounting kits for these double DIN or DIN w/ a pocket installs?
sorry about my lack of IM. i don't use it at work.

anyway, the pocket i used is allegedly off of a ford truck. i got it from someone at work who had it lying around in his garage. my suggestion is to find a stock vehicle with a 1DIN-sized pocket and get that from the OEM parts department at the dealership. i originally bought this tiny 1/2 DIN pocket from Circuit City but i just decided not to use it since it would be a pain to fill in the empty space.

as for installing the pocket, i wrapped some wire around the front end of the pocket, creating little loops in the wire for some #8 screws to go through. i drilled some holes in the trim, put the screws through the trim and the wire, then cranked down on it with washers and nuts. that's it. i can post pics if you would like - let me know.

incidentally, the head unit i installed using mounts i fabricated using standard "straps" (thin metal strips with holes) you can get at any stereo install place. Circuit City gave me some for free when i bought my head unit from them.

here's another bit of random info: when i got my head unit, CC offered to install it for "free." when i said i want to do it myself, they said "great" and gave me a "self install discount". i think it was around $30.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures (Robey5)

It is a Pioneer FH-M75. Single CD indash, cassette, 18 fm and 6 am , 7 band eq with lc display, controlls for a 6 disc changer, 40X4 watts, and a ir remote. I bought is the week after I got the vette back in 92 (the stock delco tape deck was pissing me off) and had a pro installer out it in. I doubt you can find one now and the back lights are white. I'm sure you can find a doubledin you like though. :steering:
Old 06-05-2003, 06:01 PM
EricJ
Pro

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Where are you guys getting the mounting kits for these double DIN or DIN w/ a pocket installs?
Circuit City said they could order the Metra unit or there are few places on-line that sell it. The Metra part number is 99-3051. Here is one place that sells it for ~$13: http://www.audiocarplus.com/metra.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo/Deck replacement pictures