Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 06:49 PM
badddrx7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4

Like to talk with anyone who has installed a single DIN alpine CD head, speakers all the way around and a 10-12 " sub in the back. I need to know what fit well in the front spk and the rear spk, and a good box for the sub, amp location etc. Everything.

Anyone out there that can help me ?

Tom
Old 12-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4 (badddrx7)

check my reply in tech section :cheers:
Old 12-30-2002, 10:50 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4 (Nevermind)

look up my post down below for a easy way to do your sub & amp install. also the cleanest way to single din the front is fiberglassing in the double din hole to single din size & repainting it. it looks factory correct only in single din size.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:35 PM
Blue95Ice
Advanced

Hi Tom - I recently bought a 95 and it had a Sony ES Mobile system in it. I took that system out because the 10 disc changer needed fix and was told thru a sony dealer that parts are obsolete for that ES Mobile system. I'm currently looking to install a replacement system in it's place. The current speakers I have with the old Sony ES Mobile system are - 2 - 8" JL Audio subwoofers, along side of the subs are 2 - 4" Alpine 2-ways speakers, down in the front are 2 - 6" MB Quart mid-range along with 2 - MB Quart tweeters. I'm currently considering a Pioneer DEH 7400mp Am/Fm Cd head unit along with a JL Audio 500/5 amp. The original owner before me had the Sony ES Mobile and Speakers professionally installed and the 8" sub & the 4" alpine are fitted together and the factory Bose speaker cover covers the sub and the speaker and you don't even know you have subs in the car because of the way they were install. As soon as I get my system finsh, I'll take pictures and sent to you if interest. The cover plate the head unit I'm getting from Specialty Auto Sound @ 1-800-937-6644 / GM # 37 - $15.95 :chevy
Old 01-08-2003, 12:04 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4 (Blue95Ice)

It has a double din hole. You need a kit to fill it. I used a single din pocket from metra to fill mine. The front speakers are in the frame rails. 4 1/4" fit easily, 5 1/4" with a little work, and 6 1/2" with alot of work. Rear has 6x9 though I recommend using 6 1/2" instead if you want a sub. A 10" sub will fit in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. If you want more, you could go up to two 12" subs in a box or even more but now you are eating cargo area and adding weight.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
badddrx7
Racer

Default Re: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4 (92TripleBlack)

Your replys are much appreciated. TripleBlack - Can you give me the part number for the Metra Pocket you installed ? Will my 1996 dash opening be the same ? Here is what I am planning to install in this 96 this Spring - correct me if I am wrong somewhere:
Alpine 9813 Head
4 Kicker K-60s
MTX Thunder 342 Amp-340W X 1
MTX-thunder 6000A-12" Sub in Q logic Box

Nothing major, just some sweet tunes for the Wife. Plug in the Zeppelin, Heep, Grand Funk, Captain Beyond, BOC, BTO, ELP, Spooky Tooth of the like.

;)
Old 01-08-2003, 08:14 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

i don't see why you guys keep using those ugly kits, you can fiberglass and sand the whole area in less than 2hrs and have a factory perfect look.

maybe it's just me but those kits look corny, you have this plastic plate sticking out.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:35 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4 (gtsyellow)

The kit I used is a universal din pocket from metra. I don't have the part number but they sell it at Best Buy. No plastic sticking out, just a pocket that holds CDs in my dash. As to the dash being the same, no its not. Yours is better. In '94 they updated the dash and widened the opening slightly to be a more standard din size. I needed to file my dash wider to fit my deck. You should be fine with your dash and it would probably be easier to do than mine.
I do like the idea of glassing the opening but to me its more of a PITA and since the kit is only $15, I figured if I didn't like the result, I could always glass it up later.
Sounds like you picked some good basic stuff. I don't know the model # of the deck. The kicker and mtx stuff is decent for a basic setup. Just make sure you don't pay to much. You can get some good stuff cheap and if you are doing it yourself, better to spend the money online getting good stuff than getting lower quality stuff from a local shop. Try some of the sites for prices. Often shops will honor online prices. http://www.pricegrabber.com http://www.tms-electronics.com http://www.sounddomain.com http://www.thezeb.com
Old 01-09-2003, 05:50 AM
badddrx7
Racer

Default Re: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4 (92TripleBlack)

Thank you TripleBlack and the reat for your help. When I get it done I'll send out some pics and tell you how it sounds.

Thanks again, Tom
:seeya
Old 01-12-2003, 05:01 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

That is a pic of the Specialty Autosound dash kit.

the bottom of the pic is the actual dash part, the 2 plastic bezels are for trimming the head unit. the install plate acutally looks like a 1.5 din... then the bezels will trim it up to 1 din.

The thin little trim ring goes around the head unit. why, I have yet to figure that out... same goes with the plastic strips.

it must be noted, the actual plate is made of METAL. VERY solid piece!!!

I will post pics of the install... I have been sick this weekend, dammit.

just get over one bug... :mad
Old 01-13-2003, 08:13 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4 (gtsyellow)

some people don't have fiberglass skillz.:nonod: ..so the kit becomes a lifeline to replace the Bose.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade in a 1996 c4