Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question About Space Behind C6 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 11:24 AM
unkled20
Racer

Received 303 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Question About Space Behind C6 Radio

I have been doing a lot of research and reading about installing an aftermarket radio in my C6. It's a lot different than when I've installed radios in the past!

I have the Bose navigation system now. I only plan on replacing the radio. Maybe one day I will do the speakers, but not right now. I do realize that new speakers, amps etc will make a huge difference. It's just not something I want to do right now.

Anyway, I've read that in order to keep my steering wheel controls, the chime and other things, I need to use the RP5-GM11. I have also read that a lot of people experience engine noise if they only do the radio and not speakers, so people suggest using two ground loop isolators. I also plan on running the USB cables to my center console and replace the 12v plug with a dual USB outlet.

The radio I'm looking at has a cd/DVD player on it and is standard depth. My question is, will all of this stuff fit behind the radio? Like I said, I've done some car stereo installations in the past, sometimes there is room back there and other times there isn't. Will I have any issues with space or will I be ok?
The following users liked this post:
joec (05-07-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 01:11 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

Good headunit, harness, mounting kit, antenna adapter is all you need. I've done plenty of C6 and have never needed an isolator.
The following 2 users liked this post by VinceC5:
FAUEE (04-29-2021), unkled20 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 01:14 PM
unkled20
Racer

Originally Posted by VinceC5
Good headunit, harness, mounting kit, antenna adapter is all you need. I've done plenty of C6 and have never needed an isolator.
Thank you! That's great to hear! No issues with space back there then?
Old 04-27-2021, 03:38 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

All will fit in the space.

Gary
unkled20 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 03:57 PM
unkled20
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
All will fit in the space.

Gary
Thank you!!!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:40 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,178 Posts

Yes there's room for a double DIN, you just need to make sure to pull the wiring and interface below it (there's plenty of room to do so), if you try to stuff the all the wring and interface behind the radio, it won't fit. I'm still using the stock speakers, amp, and have no issues at all with noise, so it shouldn't be a problem if you install it correctly. The RP5-GM11 is the most commonly used interface, another option (which is the one I have) is the GM1A-RST both made by PAC. The GM1A-RST is their latest, and has some advantages over the RP5 but it costs more. Both the RP5 and GM1A come with the AM/FM antenna adapter, so you won't have to buy one in addition. I've done the same thing you mentioned about running the USB cables to the center console, replacing the charging port, works good. Are you planning on adding the XM tuner ? If so, I can give you some guidance on reusing the stock XM antennas if you're interested. The stock XM tuner cannot be used, so you'd need to get the SXV300V1 tuner if you want XM radio,
but the stock antennas can be reused. Also, if you get an after market navigation system, (depending on the manufacturer), you can reuse your stock navigation antenna, it'll plug directly into Kenwood and I believe Sony uses the same connector, Pioneer uses a different connector which would require and adapter, I can make up the adapters for this myself, as I couldn't find anyone who makes them. I also suggest adding a rear backup camera and a front camera while you're at it, if the head unit you're looking at is multi camera capable. The front one helps to avoid hitting parking blocks, and the rear one helps with blind spots when backing up. Let me know if you have any other questions.
unkled20 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:48 PM
unkled20
Racer

Originally Posted by madsonp
Yes there's room for a double DIN, you just need to make sure to pull the wiring and interface below it (there's plenty of room to do so), if you try to stuff the all the wring and interface behind the radio, it won't fit. I'm still using the stock speakers, amp, and have no issues at all with noise, so it shouldn't be a problem if you install it correctly. The RP5-GM11 is the most commonly used interface, another option (which is the one I have) is the GM1A-RST both made by PAC. The GM1A-RST is their latest, and has some advantages over the RP5 but it costs more. Both the RP5 and GM1A come with the AM/FM antenna adapter, so you won't have to buy one in addition. I've done the same thing you mentioned about running the USB cables to the center console, replacing the charging port, works good. Are you planning on adding the XM tuner ? If so, I can give you some guidance on reusing the stock XM antennas if you're interested. The stock XM tuner cannot be used, so you'd need to get the SXV300V1 tuner if you want XM radio,
but the stock antennas can be reused. Also, if you get an after market navigation system, (depending on the manufacturer), you can reuse your stock navigation antenna, it'll plug directly into Kenwood and I believe Sony uses the same connector, Pioneer uses a different connector which would require and adapter, I can make up the adapters for this myself, as I couldn't find anyone who makes them. I also suggest adding a rear backup camera and a front camera while you're at it, if the head unit you're looking at is multi camera capable. The front one helps to avoid hitting parking blocks, and the rear one helps with blind spots when backing up. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much for all the tips and info! I have XM in my daily driver, but I don't think I'm going to put it in the Vette. I may change my mind later, but hopefully not. I am thinking about getting a Kenwood DMX9707S. I am also wanting to install a front and rear camera. I did look at the different interfaces, but for $100 difference in price, I think I am going to go with the RP5-GM11. I am already over what I wanted to spend!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:52 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by unkled20
Thank you so much for all the tips and info! I have XM in my daily driver, but I don't think I'm going to put it in the Vette. I may change my mind later, but hopefully not. I am thinking about getting a Kenwood DMX9707S. I am also wanting to install a front and rear camera. I did look at the different interfaces, but for $100 difference in price, I think I am going to go with the RP5-GM11. I am already over what I wanted to spend!
If you're going to get that head unit, I suggest you get it soon, if you can find one, there's a shortage of car head units right now.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:03 PM
unkled20
Racer

If you're going to get that head unit, I suggest you get it soon, if you can find one, there's a shortage of car head units right now.
I've found that out! Nobody has anything, it seems. It's hard enough making a decision on one. After you decide, you've gotta find it!
Old 04-29-2021, 07:22 PM
unkled20
Racer

One more question...hopefully only one! I received my new head unit today, a Kenwood DMX9707S. I also received the RP5-GM11 today. Although I won't have the other stuff I need for a few more days, I decided to wire up the harnesses and get the head unit ready.

I have the Bose system. My question is, do I need to connect all of the speaker wires from the Kenwood harness to the RP5-GM11 or do I not have to do that because I have the Bose system? I haven't removed the factory radio yet, so I don't know how everything is hooked up to it.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:27 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

You need to connect all of the speaker outputs from the Kenwood to the RP5-GM11. Use the amplified connector on the RP5-GM11.

Gary
unkled20 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 07:40 PM
unkled20
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
You need to connect all of the speaker outputs from the Kenwood to the RP5-GM11. Use the amplified connector on the RP5-GM11.

Gary
Thank you!!! I just wanted to be sure before I did it!

BEST SITE EVER!!!!
Old 05-07-2021, 07:58 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by unkled20
ordered the same unit and waiting for it to come in.. looking over the RP5 manual and it looks like setting up the SWC looks to be a PIA..
Old 05-07-2021, 09:15 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joec
ordered the same unit and waiting for it to come in.. looking over the RP5 manual and it looks like setting up the SWC looks to be a PIA..
Yeah, it's easier to do on the GM1A
Old 05-08-2021, 09:27 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, it's easier to do on the GM1A
figures...
Old 05-20-2022, 04:23 PM
BigT2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

To masonp: I know this thread is old but I'm waiting for my Kenwood DMX 907S & SXV300V1 to come in and I would like to keep the factory antenna on my 2012 GS. What do I need to do or buy?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BigT2
To masonp: I know this thread is old but I'm waiting for my Kenwood DMX 907S & SXV300V1 to come in and I would like to keep the factory antenna on my 2012 GS. What do I need to do or buy?

Thanks
If you're referring to the GPS antenna, the stock one will plug right into the Kenwood with no adapters needed. If you're referring to the Satellite antennas, some adapters are needed, this thread I wrote will show you what you need and how to hook it up. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html Let me know if you have any questions.

Get notified of new replies

To Question About Space Behind C6 Radio

Quick Reply: Question About Space Behind C6 Radio