Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PAC Radio Interface vs Metra/Axxess Radio Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Orange Flash
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PAC Radio Interface vs Metra/Axxess Radio Interface

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have been reading a lot about replacing my factory radio head unit. I have a 2008 Base with Bose/Navigation and would like to install a new head unit that will keep all of the "factory" functions in the car i.e. chime on speakers, OnStar and SWC. From what I have read, most seem to use the PAC RPM5-GM11 but this unit does not keep the factory chimes on the car speakers, if I read it correctly. I have read many the PAC supplied Chimes sound pretty bad.
Has anyone looked at or have any experience with other PAC units or any of the Metra/Axxess units (AX-DIS-CL2)? There seems to be a lot of different units from each manufacturer that will work in the car! Thanks for any help!
Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

do you want it to work? get the pac...

Last edited by Jimmy 2 Times; 09-15-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:10 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

i've replaced more axxess than pac adapters. I always use PAC. The PAC chimes are loud but adjustable. If still too loud at lowest setting, put tape over the hole in the adapter and then a small pinhole. Easy solution for a reliable adapter.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Orange Flash
Cruising

OK, so I gather the units don't work as advertised? any additional info would be great! Thanks
Old 09-16-2020, 11:13 AM
Orange Flash
Cruising

Thanks Vince!
Other than reliability or function which Jimmy 2 Times mentions above, I also heard that it wasn't just loud but had a obnoxious sound quality compared to the factory chimes. Have you experienced that?
Thanks Again!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Flash
Thanks Vince!
Other than reliability or function which Jimmy 2 Times mentions above, I also heard that it wasn't just loud but had a obnoxious sound quality compared to the factory chimes. Have you experienced that?
Thanks Again!
A lot depends on how it exactly gets buried behind the head unit. I have the RP5 and it's not obnoxiously loud. I do have it on the lowest volume setting but ideally it could be a touch lower in volume. If you think it may be too loud, you can put a piece of tape around it to muffle the sound. Overall, you are over thinking it imo. Once you get everything connected, test it before putting everything back together. If you feel it will be too loud, add the piece of tape to the sound box over the opening.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:39 PM
Orange Flash
Cruising

Thanks! Really appreciate the information!

Get notified of new replies

To PAC Radio Interface vs Metra/Axxess Radio Interface

Quick Reply: PAC Radio Interface vs Metra/Axxess Radio Interface